Settle Flowerpot Festival


Throughout July and August Settle is decorated with flowerpot creations of every shape, size and design. All the community join in the fun; schools, churches, businesses, individuals, clubs, and visitor attractions. Our aim is to make you smile whilst you explore the town centre, the riverside and the hidden parts of Settle that visitors don’t usually find. You can choose to follow one of the Flowerpot Trails that are available to purchase from the Tourist Information Centre (LINK)


We had gone up to visit my parents not realising this event was on, we like to call at the Ye Olde Naked Man Cafe and have a look round the book shops (well I do !) then onto Giggleswick.









They were every were you looked , we didn't find them all but the Elephant on the phone box has to be my favourite.















  I was born in Langcliffe the village next to  Settle , Settle is a lovely place to visit   with many little alleyways and old buildings, here was the old registry office.


 







 These pots were on the Town Hall building in the square at Settle , with little steps going under the building you can find a Art Gallery, Gavagan Art, pottery and a new glass shop.



We had a look , beautiful things for the home but this old range is stunning.



The Shambles is A Grade II Listed Building in the square.



This ally way is one of my favourite places (apart from the wheelie bins) the little cobbles, many houses bunched together and a old book shop.


In the afternoon we had a walk to Giggleswick church, Church of St Alkelda
(there will be a post on my church blog)
Giggleswick is a sleepy village full of lovely old buildings.



Church of St Alkelda



1669
There were flower pots to find in Giggleswick too.





Old houses look lovely with a dash of summer flowers.


Which is your favourite  flower pot ?

Comments

  1. Wow, what a wonderfully eccentric event!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon, glad you enjoyed the flowerpots..
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  2. Lovely, just lovely.
    If I were nearer I'd love to visit.

    Thanks so much for sharing these wonderful photographs.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jan, they have been doing it a few years now, and it gets better every year. All round Yorkshire these events are very popular.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  3. Wow Amanda what a super event - such fun and makes a change from Scarecrow Festivals! :) People must put so much work into creating such lovely figures. The elephant on the phone box is my favourite too but I also like the Gingerbread Man one. In fact, they are all lovely - like Lowcarb team member I wish I lived closer and could visit.

    The villages look lovely and great places to explore. A super set of photos and a good day out! - Look forward to the church post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks RR, glad you liked seeing the flowerpots, next year we should have a go at finding them all, mind you there was supposed to be over 100 !
      I will be of back soon and hope to do a post on Settle..
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  4. Absolutely lovely post. I don't think I can choose a favourite pot they're all utterly charming. What beautiful places. I'd love to visit them xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks CT, they were all really good, people had took the time to make it special, and Settle is such a lovely place. I perhaps did not appreciate it as much growing up though !

      Delete
  5. They are all very inventive I too like the elephant on the phone box and the dog attached to the blue door. I remember visiting Settle but have never been to Giggleswick. The kitchen range reminds me of the one in my grandma's house she used it every day for cooking, boiling water and warming irons as she wouldn't have electricity in the house until the early 60s as she didn't trust it:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rosie, we were looking at some old photos of Settle and it has not changed one bit over the years, hope you get to visit again.
      I wish I had asked the lady about the range, there is not much history on the Town Hall. It looks lovely now, but wouldn't have liked to use it..
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  6. Thank you for this post. We visited today and really enjoyed it. Lily's favourite was the gingerbred man. Mine was the rock climber. Some beautiful photographs. It is such a picturesque place. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jules, so pleased you got to see them as they were rather good, and you enjoyed your visit to Settle.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  7. What a great twist on the more common scarecrows! Some of those are so brilliant, so creative! I love the John Deere and the elephant... I love quite a few actually. I must look out for this event if I'm ever in the area in August :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louise, they have done a really good job, the tractor wheels are seed trays. I will be marking it in my calendar for next year.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  8. I love this, it's so much fun, it reminds me of the Scarecrow festival that happens in Gildersome in June, everyone joins in and it's a great atmosphere! The elephant is my favourite too. It's been years since i've been to Giggleswick. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam, you and your family would have loved this, so make a note for next year.
      Amanda xx

      Delete

Post a Comment