Adel church and it's wildlife...


St John the Baptist Church, Adel
 Leeds West Yorkshire

Have been wanting to visit this church for some time, there is a good parking opposite the church. I found out later people park here to go York Gate Gardens another place on my to-do list.

It was a beautiful day and as I parked the car I could see the grave stones amongst the grass, this was going to be a lovely church.


Adel parish church, is described as "one of the best and most complete Norman churches in Yorkshire" there are some good guides with photos of all the things you can find as well as it's history. (links at bottom).







As you walk into the church grounds you will find these stone coffins and millstones.




Coffins made of lead and stone were reserved for the very wealthy or very important. The shape of these varied wildly from today’s coffins; they were a rectangular-shaped alcove carved into stone, with a rounded circle at the top for the head - the perfect shape for a person.




 A few flowers were still growing amongst the grasses, they just cut the grass twice a year, leaving the flowers to grow. I could see plenty of Yellow Rattle seed heads. Later I was told during spring the whole place is covered in Daffodils.














This large monument looked stunning amongst the trees and bramble. I did try to find out who the person was but no joy yet. Looking at the notice board on my photos they do a walk through the grave yard, sadly it's on a Sunday and I'm at work. I also noted they do a booklet too, the church was locked and only open on certain days for visitors, I will go again when it's open.






 It was so warm so I had hoped to see lizards sunning on the grave stones, sadly none. At this tree there was a seat all the way round so I took the time and sit and watch the butterflies when I could hear a woodpecker.



Speckled wood
High up in the tree, the woodpecker look brown. I took loads of photos, but to far and the bird was moving so no clear photo. Then I spotted another Woodpecker, you can see the difference.










I had walked round the outer boundary of the church grounds and now I was making my way back to the church. It looks like there is a Jackdaw roost, either in the church trees of just on the edge of the Barley fields over the road.(A group of Jackdaws are called a train of jackdaws.) I did stand for some times hoping they would take of, managed to get a few.





The Corbel Table

 (Corbel table, in architecture, a continuous row of corbels (a block of stone projecting from a wall and supporting some heavy feature), usually occurring just below the eaves of a roof in order to fill in beneath a high-pitched roof and to give extra support.)

These faces run round the whole of the church wall


 Have a look on this website GREAT ENGLISH CHURCHES he you can see all the history, photos of inside and out.

Harvestman spider.
Warming on the church wall
While I was photographing the church, this drone flew over, not sure what it was doing but it was a bit creepy been watched. 



Then I reached the south door, I was not disappointed it was amazing. This is a replica of the original sanctuary knocker. A Romanesque bronze doorknocker, often referred to as a Sanctuary Ring, is a replica, as the original was stolen in 2002,the sculpture has been understood to represent the animal swallowing a person, but it has also been suggested that 'there is nothing exaggeratedly fearsome about this lion that we should assume the man is being eaten ... he could be waking up, taking a breath, coming out of the mouth rather than being chewed or swallowed'.(LINK)



The south door is one of the finest Romanesque compositions in England. Tragically, it was limewashed in a well-intentioned attempt at preservation. Apparently the advice given by the conservation experts was misunderstood. The chancel arch carvings are amongst the finest and there is a very large, well-preserved corbel table, although as with most in Yorkshire its subject matter is a little uninspired. If you are interested in Norman carving you have to make a trip to Adel. (LINK)




Ringlet buterfly

Red admiral buterfly





 I loved the place so much I walked back round, a Robin came to say hello , looks like it's had a hard summer.


Over the road from the church were fields of Barley looking towards a large farm, there was a walk through the field, it was so beautiful a proper summers day.






LINKS

Adel parish church
Great churches if Britain
Wikipedia
York Gate Gardens





















Comments

  1. What a wonderful, interesting and enjoyable post Amanda - how I wish I lived closer and could explore that churchyard with you. Beautiful photos as always and it is so good to see such a wildlife friendly churchyard.

    What a shame the sanctuary door knocker was stolen but the replica looks good and so fascinating and I just love the corbels. Hope you find out more about the monument and statue. It looks the type of place where you could spend hours and a great variety of wildlife too :) I'd have found the drone spooky too!!

    Look forward to reading more when you go back when it is open inside. It is one of the best and most interesting churches/churchyards I have seen. So glad you did a post on it all and thanks for the links - will be checking them out :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it a lovely place, so much going on and close enough to visit regular. You would love it, and yes it's a shame we don't live closer.
      Inside looks as interesting as the outside. Planing to go to York gardens with my sister during the summer so I'll go on a day the church is open.
      Amanda 🐰🐰

      Delete
  2. Hello, this is an awesome post. So many beautiful photos. I love to walk around old cemeteries. The church is pretty. Nice variety of birds and pretty butterflies. The door knocker is cool, great find.
    Have a happy day and weekend ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eileen, had the most wonderful time. Nice mix of nature and history. Have a lovely weekend.

      Delete
  3. What an atmosphere! I didn't know about the figures on corbels and like the idea of them better than gargoyles. Being rather tired this evening, I sympathise with the robin who has had a hard summer. Now I am in Halifax, I will put this churchyard on a list of places to visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lucy and hope you are well, one of the nicest churches I have visited, can't wait to see inside. Poor Robin looks a bit sad.
      Amanda 🐰🐰

      Delete
  4. Oh gosh, the drone is the only thing I don't like about this. I guess drones have a place in this world under the appropriate conditions, but they don't seem appropriate in such an earthy, warm, historical garden/church/cemetery. All the beautiful butterflies, birds, and plants. I really want to go here. If I ever get over to the U.K. again (I certainly hop so), I want to spend more time in the smaller towns and countryside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks PP, yes the drone was a little odd, as you could not see who was flying it. Another place you would love, trouble is if you do get over to England you will have to stay for years to visit all the beautiful places.
      Amanda 🐰🐰

      Delete
  5. You've rather inspired me to visit - love all the stone images and especially the corbels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer, you would love it here, inside the stone work is more stunning, which I am looking forward to seeing. You need to check when the church is open.
      Amanda 🐰🐰

      Delete
  6. It is interesting to see the different memorials isn't it and the wildlife that is making use of a graveyard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy, church ground are one of the best places to see wildlife as it's often left alone. The monuments were stunning.
      Amanda 🐰🐰

      Delete
  7. I so enjoyed reading and looking at this post, so very interesting.
    Thank you.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jan, churches and grave stone are not for everybody but some are very beautiful places, I love all the history that surrounds them.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  8. What a beautiful place to discover nature. Loving all the butterflies especially, and the amazing architecture. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shazza , lot's of nature to be found in a church ground, had hoped to see a lizard, not this time.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  9. How wonderful! Such an interesting post. A perfect churcyard on a warm summer's daywith so much of interest to discover both in the wildlife and the memorial stones. I love the faces running around the wall and the door knocker and also the stone carvings around the door:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rosie, you would love this church. Look out for when I go back and get to look in side.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  10. What a beautiful place. I love old churchyards which aren't too manicured - so atmospheric. There are some really lovely monuments and gravestones there too. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie, amazing places churches, so pleased they still look after them but understand the need to have a space for nature.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  11. Susanana Jane wife of James Audus Hirst

    Best I found was
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/nwkf/16196650359

    Others refer to this as being the monument of both Susanna & James. Not a clue why this is in North West Kent Family History.

    See also
    http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?resourceIdentifier=200715_162635&DISPLAY=FULL

    As ever your pictures are wonderful and you see so much I would miss. 30-40 years ago I used to visit Adel Dam every winter, but I never visited the church. I must really get round to visiting it now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks So much John for the information, I'm still hoping I can get to the grave walk, if you get chance you must visit.
      Thanks again..
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  12. Lovely post Amanda, so many little nooks and crannys to explore around Leeds isn't there! Do you think the Woodpecker is a juvenile (or just dirty!)? x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam, haven't worked out the mystery of the brown woodpecker, still looking. Nice place for you to visit.
      Amanda 🐰🐰

      Delete
  13. I've never been to Leeds but this place is definitely going on the list for the future! What a great space for wildlife and a lovely place to spend a summer afternoon. I like the look of York Gate Gardens too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louise, hope you do get to Leeds one day, well any were in Yorkshire is lovely. Have to say North and West are the best :)
      Amanda 🐰🐰

      Delete
  14. What a reasure trove you found! There are so many lovely old churches and I can never resist a peak inside, if they're open. :) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Restlessjo for leaving a comment, there is something special about looking inside churches.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  15. I was impressed by the photos and what a stunning and historic place to visit. The monument surrounded by trees, and I'd like to see the grounds covered in daffodils in spring -what a sight that would be. Thanks for sharing and if I'm ever around that region, I'll be sure to check it out. Warm greetings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for leaving a comment Blogoratti, so pleased so many have liked the church and my photos, it was such a nice place I was glad to share it with everyone.
      Amanda xx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts