Skippers back on the wing and #30 days wild




On the back lane of Banksfield rd is a small haven for insects and butterflies, I have blogged about it before (here).

It's a stretch of land that runs behind the houses, flanked by a banking of shrubs and bracken, overgrown at the moment with grasses and bramble a route often used to walk the dog. The council once a year will cut it all back which keeps the bramble in check, last year they went down with a grass cutter destroying everything ! but it is often used to dump garden waste and anything people can't be bothered to deposes of properly from hovers to bicycles.



I sometimes let moths go here, so I can trap each night without catching the same ones. On my last trip I had noticed there was Hedge Woundwort (Stachys sylvatica) you can get a Woundwort shieldbug on this plant, I had seen them on Countryside Tales blog (HERE), a sheildbug  I have not seen before. I was in luck.....

Hedge Woundwort


Eysarcoris venustissimus Woundwort Shieldbug

Eysarcoris venustissimus Woundwort Shieldbug

Eysarcoris venustissimus Woundwort Shieldbug
After finding these a close inspection of all the plants were in order, the flutter of brown was a nice sighting of Skipper butterflies new on the wing, thanks to Ragged Robin we now know they are Large Skipper.

Green Nettle Weevil

Harlequin Ladybird
Large Skipper male

Large Skipper male
Grove snail

Bramble

Meadow brown
Speckled wood
Grasses and wildflowers
Hawthorn shield bug
Bombus hypnorum Tree bee
Large Skipper

Large Skipper

Large Skipper
Bombus hypnorum Tree bee

Celypha lacunana Moth

Light Brown Apple Moth Epiphyas postvittana
Hoverfly
Just shows you have not to go far to discover amazing insects. 





Comments

  1. Lovely varied post Amanda with your usual super photos :) It is lovely to see how much you have found in a small area surrounded by houses - just shows how nature can be found everywhere you look :) Good to see so many skippers together too - I always think of stained glass when I see the wings on Large - that is how I remember which species they are :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the lovely comment RR, it was so nice to come across the butterflies looking splendid in the sunshine, it has always been a good spot for them, much more to find but dog was getting fed up in the heat as well as eating far to much of the grass !
      Amanda 🐰🐰

      Delete
  2. Lovely post, I find Shieldbugs fascinating, I always like finding them. Great photo of the snail :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam, a few years back I was finding Sheildbugs all over but just lately there doesn't seem to be as many around, they are a amazing insect.
      Amanda 🐰🐰

      Delete
  3. Thank you, Amanda, for your kind comment - and yes, with a future visit to the area in mind, I did mean to leave a comment on a previous post. Your new blog is looking wonderful - a terrific layout... so professional! Those Skippers are absolutely stunning - I can almost hear the music as they dance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Caroline for getting back, I was worried the new layout wasn't working.
      Skippers dancing , what a beautiful thought...
      Amanda 🐰🐰

      Delete
  4. Beautiful insects--especially through your lens! A getaway into the wild is always a joy. The little skippers are always a welcome sight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks PP, so many insects to descover amazing creatures.
      Amanda 🐰🐰

      Delete
  5. I thought I'd left a comment but it seems to have disappeared! I think you're last hover is volucella bombylans. Great photos, as always. Lovely to see the skippers. I'm awaiting them here. Only smalls out at the moment xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks CT, did look at volucella bombylans but individual ones in the family, very similar. Thanks to you I can name the family, seen in good numbers to.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  6. Lovely post. Your photos of the butterflies and all the different bugs down the lane are wonderful:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rosie, just shows how important even the smallest bit of land is for insects.
      Amanda 🐰🐰

      Delete
  7. Its amazing how such a small and overgrown area is home to so much wildlife. Some of those insects I have never seen before. I suppose it is a case of really noticing your surroundings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shazza, it's a matter of getting you eyes set to your brain, if you know what I mean. Once you start you find more and more, I to often wondered why I had never seen some of these insects before.
      Amanda 🐰🐰

      Delete
  8. Such super photographs again, lovely to see the skippers and I did like the Harlequin Ladybird.

    Enjoy the rest of the week and have a good weekend to.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jan for all your lovely comments, had hoped to find some native Ladybird but the Harlequins are doing to well. So pleased you like the photos.
      Amanda xx

      Delete

Post a Comment