Monday, 12 December 2016

Playing with the light and Lichens on a Oak tree.




I had not expected to do another post before Christmas, but this morning I got the chance to go out with my camera.

A colder morning than we've  have had in the past week, arrived at High Royds just in time to see the mist rising from the ground as the sun broke through. The light was stunning through the mist, and the contrast of the bright red Rose-hips was lovely.

I had gone looking for birds, but it was a little quiet this morning, mainly Blackbirds picking out the last of the berries . Over the past few weeks Redwings have been feeding their way through the trees.

Next to the wood there is a field that has some very old Oak trees in , and on closer inspection I notice all the different kinds of Lichen growing on the branches, beautiful creations but yet another complicated subject in nature to master.






Wren

















Great tit

Blackbird



I have put the Lichens on iSpot, 
will come back and hopefully name them at some point.


Oak Moss (Evernia prunastri)







19 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Louise, glad you like the photos.....
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  2. Beautiful photos as always Amanda and the landscape one's are just stunning. Almost look like paintings. Sounds like you had a good morning. Love the lichens - agree id in most cases is hard!!! They are so beautiful (like little miniature worlds) especially the last one. Looks a great place to visit :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks RR, Lovely area it's were the Water rail is so a good mix of environments and wild life to be discovered.I have the fold out sheets for Lichen and a big posh book, will dig them out and go hunting.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  3. Beautiful images, Amanda ... hauntingly beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks PP, I quite like mist and foggy days, adds a bit of mystery to the world...
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks Roy for the lovely comment...
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks Simon for the lovely comment, just shows you should get out side what ever the weather...
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  6. Lovely photos, the mist has provided some stunning opportunities, it's very photogenic! I've not been in the grounds of High Royds ever I don't think?! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam, you would love it here. You can walk round the houses or follow the path round the grounds. Enter from Guiseley end, that's were the pond is and were I saw the water rail. Follow the road, before you get to the first houses you can walk of into the fields, ether side of the large Norway Spruce trees. From here you can see a Birch wood or follow the beck through the fields. Round the grounds would be a nice steady walk for you on the flat and pathed.
      It is a lovely area, quite a lot of dog walkers though..
      Amanda xx

      Delete
    2. The pictures certainly make me want to go! Hopefully next time i'm able to visit my parents I can take a walk xx

      Delete
  7. Lovely, atmospheric photos of your winter landscape. I love all the birds but especially the little wren. I always find them so difficult to photograph because they move so quickly. I love the mosses and lichens, too - they're fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy for the lovely comment, I did well with the Wren as they have moved by the time my camera focus, I would love to find more Lichen as you say they are fascinating, but such a hard subject to get right.
      Have a Happy Christmas..
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  8. So pleased you made another blog post.
    I always love your posts and your photographs, and this one is no exception.

    It's brilliant!

    Good wishes for the remainder of this month

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam for your lovely comment, so sweet...
      Hope you have a lovely Holiday...and New Year...
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  9. I know I've said it many times before, but your photos are a complete joy to look at. x

    ReplyDelete