Trip to Barden Bridge to spot the Flycatchers

Barden Bridge

Barden Bridge is a picturesque crossing of the Wharfe just adjacent to Barden Tower where the road forks over the river to the nearby village of Appletreewick in the Yorkshire Dales.

After reading Pam's post on her visit to Bolton Abbey, (see here) I've wanted to go to see the Flycatchers. This is a bird I have never seen before, Bolton Abbey is a well known place in the area to get good sightings of both the Pied and Spotted Flycatcher.

Starting of at Barden bridge , the first thing you noticed was all the young chicks about, the Greylag goose was so cute, the Dipper chicks were making so much noise under the bridge to be fed you could not fail to miss them. Mallard young, but no chicks for the Mandarin pair, here like the Dippers is a good spot to see many pairs.





Mandarin Duck

Goosander

Greylag Goose 

Greylag Goose Chick

Dipper Chick 

Common Sandpiper

Chaffinch

Wren

Unable to find the Flycatchers straight away, and every Robin was pretending to be one,  I took the top path through the Bluebells towards the Pavilion which is situated near the Abbey. It started to rain and was a little dull to get good photos, but the day was saved when I came across a plant called Toothwort, I have been on the look out for this plant for over three years now. Another plant found next to the river was Lesser-flowering Leek, seen in the past just the once I thought they were just Wild Garlic gone to seed, strange plant which can easily be missed amongst all the other flowers growing at this time.  

Bluebells 
  Strid Wood, one of the largest remnants of sessile oak trees in the Yorkshire Dales hugs the banks of the river Wharfe and invites visitors to walk its shaded paths. Renowned for the flora and fauna, bluebells flower in late April and early May, followed by wild garlic in bloom. This majestic wood is home to a myriad of wildlife including roe deer, otters, kingfisher and greater spotted woodpecker.

In 1810 the 6th Duke of Devonshire and the Rev. William Carr opened Strid Wood and invited the public to walk the paths they created. Enjoy the views from the carefully placed seats along the nature trails. (link)


Looking down on the river



Toothwort 


 Few-flowered leek (Allium paradoxum)

Red Campion


Water Avens

The wood cutters shed was a delight,  the wooden  Deer and Warthog gave me an idea for "30 days wild in June".




 Lesser Black Backed Gull

Pink Wood Anemone 


Strid river Wharfe
 Between Barden Tower and Bolton Abbey in Yorkshire, England, lies one of nature's most dangerous booby traps. You can read the rest of this post here






On the top path just past the Strid is were I saw the Flycatchers (right were I started 3hr's ago!) they were high above the river catching flies  (like they do). Hard to get a good photo as it was dull and raining, they would land high up in the trees or across the river. Watched them for some time till the midges were getting to much eating my face off !!

Pied flycatcher

Spotted Flycatcher

Spotted Flycatcher



Comments

  1. It's a cracking place, and your bird shots are a delight. How I'd love to get a good shot at a goosander

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon, it is a wonderful place well worth a visit any time of the year. We have quite a few Goosanders in this area, breading on most of the rivers. A bird that is doing well.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  2. Loving your photos, as always. Bolton abbey is somewhere we love to visit but with two children in tow we don't see much wild life. We received our '30 days wild' chart this week and our (my sons) main aim is to dance in the rain!!! We'll see. I don't often comment but I always enjoy reading your blog. Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah, it is a lovely place for kids to, they are free to run wild, as long as it's not near the Strid !
      My Wild pack has come to, dancing in the rain sounds like a fun idea.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  3. A superb collection of images especially the Flycatcher Amanda. I wish I could see one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roy, would have liked a better shot, but they were feeding so didn't stay still fir long..
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  4. Hello, what a lovely walk. Beautiful birds and wildflowers. I like the first bridge photo, a very pretty scenic shot. The Pied Flycatcher is a lovely bird, congrats on your sightings. Happy weekend to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eileen, it is a pretty place to visit, not far from me but so different to were I live. Nice to see so much in one day.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  5. You have taken some absolutely wonderful photos. I love all the bird ones especially the wren, I've tried so hard to take photos of them but to no avail so am full of admiration for yours. Love the flycatcher photos too and the greylag and chick, they are my favourite geese. The strid does sound very dangerous. It looks a wonderful place to walk:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rosie, I had stopped for a coffee, the Wren flew in to get some moss and was not bothered I was there. So many people visit Bolton Abbey, the birds have got use to people being about.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  6. Fantastic Amanda and thank you for the shout out! :) I think the Flycatchers must be late risers, I didn't spot my first till well into my morning! We were a little early to see young Dippers. You have lovely photos as always :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pan, I'm glad you gave me the push to go after seeing your photos, it's such a lovely place.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  7. Amanda ... what a wonderful post. Love the words, love the photo's and that Greylag Goose Chick was definitely an 'aah' moment.

    I enjoyed my walk with you, what a great area.

    Happy Sunday Wishes

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jan,for leaving a lovely comment, glad you like the post and photos.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  8. A wonderful post Amanda with some great photos. Sounds like you had a superb day out with so much wildlife :) It looks a great place to walk with so much of interest - the Bolton Strid sounds dangerous!

    Well done on spotting the Toothwort - the nearest I've come is the Purple version! and also on the Flycatchers. I did hope we might see Pied at Puzzlewood as we've seen them in the Forest of Dean before but no luck. Must try a local churchyard for Spotted.

    So enjoyed sharing your walk :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks RR, you would love it here and the surrounding area. I think I was more pleased about spotting the Toothwart than the Flycatchers, at least plants stays till !!
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  9. I've always seen a good variety of birds around Barden Bridge when I've been in that area. I've not seen any flycatchers yet this year, pied flycatchers breed in a reserve near me but I've not had a lot of time to go there yet. I'm glad you got to see the two species today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louise, hope you get some time to see a Flycatcher. Bolton Abbey is another place I wish I had more time to visit.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  10. Oh fabulous.Off to Appletreewick camping next weekend and we always walk along the river to Bolton Abbey.I will keep a look out.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shazza, hope the weather is kind to you and you get to see some lovely things during your stay.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  11. Oh fabulous.Off to Appletreewick camping next weekend and we always walk along the river to Bolton Abbey.I will keep a look out.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shazza, hope the weather is kind to you and you get to see some lovely things during your stay.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  12. A marvellous post with some stunning photos of the birds and the landscape. The flycatchers are terrific and the wren is gorgeous. The strid is obviously beautiful and deadly. I love all the wildflowers, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy, for the lovely comment's , a place I'm sure you would like.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  13. Nifty place! I'm so glad you got to see the flycatchers. I always enjoy your walks and your nature photography, and this post is exceptional!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks PP good the lovely comment's glad you enjoyed seeing where I've been.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  14. Beautiful photos! A lovely mix of landscapes, birds and wildflowers (and you've identified something I saw the other day, so thank you).
    Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah, for coming by and leaving a comment, you have intrigued wat you saw ?
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  15. So beautiful! Your pictures of the birds are incredible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy for coming by and leaving oa comment, thanks for the kind words..
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  16. I haven't been to Bolton Abbey for years your post has made me think we should go again soon. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue, I only walked a small part of it today much more to discover, wonderful place..
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  17. A stunning selection, Amanda - love the Dipper, and the Toothwort takes me back to my childhood in Kent where we used to see it. Such a strange (slightly creepy?) plant! It's ages since I have been to Bolton Abbey: the only Flycatchers I have ever seen were in Wales. Thank you for your comments on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Caroline, so nice to see so many happy chicks about, and happy to find Toothwart. It's nice to hear you have visited Bolton Abbey too.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  18. Great post Amanda with a wealth of nature and wildlife to enjoy. Well done with the Flycatchers, especially the lovely Pied Flycatcher, and I loved the shots of the Goosanders and the young Dippers. I saw my first fledged Dippers of the year near the cottage at the weekend. As you say the young Dippers are rather noisy and demanding little birds aren't they!

    Interesting wildflowers too, especially the bizarre looking Toothwort :-)

    Hope you are well and my kindest regards to all :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David, nice to know you have young Dipper chicks on your River, their parent must get very worn out over the breading season, but the good news is the quality of the rivers must be good as there would not be enough food.
      That's your chalange for next year to find some Toothwart😀
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  19. Fantastic! And you finally got your tooth wort! Love the dippers and the flycatchers xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks CT, it made my day finding the Toothwart just as much as the Flycatchers..
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  20. I'm late commenting but it was worth getting to this post in the end! What fabulous bird photos! And a great mix of interesting birds too. So pleased you got to see the flycatchers and all those wildflowers look great too. A super mysterious place to visit and a really great post. xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks Mandy and don't worry about the late reply, the day at Bolton Abbey was one of those good days were you get to see lots of lovely things..
    Amanda xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts