The sun came out and I took loads of photos...!


The sun was shining so set of early to visit Golden Acre Park, visited many times before, but this would be the first trip this year.

Mix of woodland , formal gardens and at the far end of the lake a small nature reserve with two hides.

The first plant that greets you as you access the park under the road is the bright Yellow
skunk cabbage, With its very large leaves and rapid rate of spread, it can out-compete native plants and cause extensive damage locally. Given the popularity of this plant in gardens and its continued introduction into the wild, it is likely to increase.

Golden Acre Park, is very popular with family's. Feeding the ducks, the wild birds have taken advantage of this and will happily come very close some feeding out of your hands.

  Good numbers of Robins here, later on in the reserve I observed a male Robin feeding the female Robin little treats to get her attention.


Song Thrush were singing away.



Many pairs of Jays.



In the nature reserve there was talk of a lesser Spotted Woodpecker been seen, one man had been stood for over two hours hoping to get a photo !
Great Spotted Woodpeckers can be seen quite easily from the hide so I went with that option.





I was surprised to see Cuckoo flowers, also commonly known as 'Lady's-smock', they looked to tall compared to the ones I've seen else were. Later I checked at the park and they haven't even started coming through, never mind flowering.

First Blackcap of the year





Amongst the flower beds there were a few Bumblebees.
Think this one is a red tailed Bumblebee






+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The afternoon warmed up so I went to the Park.

Ladybirds.


Honey Bee



My first Butterflies, quite a few Small Tortoiseshell pairing up, and a newly emerged  Peacock.

I watched a Song Thrush chip away at a old tree trunk.







Wood Anemones
Speedwell

On the path that follows the beck through the wooded area, little old man made me aware there was something in the Ivy, turned out to be a Rat ! You can just make out it's little pink nose. I know they are all around us but it was the first time I have seen one at the park (I can add it to the mammal list!)
Funny thing was it was the second rat I have seen to day, one coming out of Golden Acer Park, it ran down a grate on the road side .




Well done if you managed to get this far, but you should see all the photos I did not put in.

Lastly it was a nice surprise to see young ducklings on the pond.
 


Comments

  1. Hello, lovely post. The plants, flowers and the birds are gorgeous. I love your Song Thrush, the bumblebee and ladybug! Wonderful series of photos. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eileen, had a lovely day in the sunshine, shame I have to go to work today...
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  2. A lovely post Amanda with some beautiful photos - looks and sounds like you had a wonderful day :) I love the sequence of Song Thrush shots, butterflies and bumble bee - in fact, they are all great :)

    Interesting to read about the Skunk Cabbage - I read about how invasive it was recently on Twitter - I didn't realise this when I saw masses of it at Winterbourne.

    Well done on the first butterflies - it really has been a lot warmer the last couple of days so hopefully we will be seeing more and more of them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks RR, I did have a wonderful time. I think the Thrush was looking for insects. It has a nest close by as I often find them in this area.
      I saw the tweet on Skunk Cabbage, notice they had spread more at Golden, but I have never come across them in the wild.
      Back to cold now, Butterflies will be hiding..
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful day of nature spotting! Although i see jays fairly often on my normal dog walk route I have never managed to get a picture of one.I think they know i'm around as they always cackle gleefully as they fly off.I have never yet seen a Black cap.Hopefully i will this year.Beautiful pictures.X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shazza, the Jays have got use to people leaving food so they are quite happy to stay about, which is good for taking photos.
      Once you get your first Blackcap you will love it's song, hope you see one soon.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  4. Great post and photos. I'd never seen Skunk Cabbage before until I saw it at Bridgemere a few weeks ago and then learned what it was from Ragged Robin's blog. I also didn't know about it spreading so easily. Lovely black cap and it's great to see the bees and butterflies enjoying the warmer weather:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rosie, it was a lovely day to see nature at it's best.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  5. I love all your beautiful photos, as always. I particularly love the Song Thrush chipping away at the tree - those photos are superb. I haven't seen any Cuckoo Flower out yet and I do like to see it for the flower and for the Orange Tips that enjoy it so much. I didn't know about skunk cabbage until I saw it on Caroline's post and I'm very interested to see it again here - it really must be everywhere. It's great to see all the birds, bees and wildflowers around now. A lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy, lovely to watch the Song Thrush singing away at the tops of trees, Stunk Cabbage seems to be mainly in parks and gardens, very impressive plant and yes it does smell (not to bad). Had hoped to see more bees.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  6. The weather this past couple of days has been wonderful, I just love this time of year.
    Great selection of photo's you've picked out for us to see.
    I like them all, and I can't choose a favourite!

    Thanks for sharing.
    Enjoy the rest of the week

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jan, it has been so nice, we do like a good bit of sunshine. Glad you likes the photos.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  7. Beautiful photos. I watched a male robin feeding a female yesterday when I got home as she was sitting just by where I park! I was at work all day so didn't get to enjoy the glorious spring weather today but I did see two curlews and a tawny owl on my way this morning, which made up for it a little bit! I saw three jays too but I can never get a photo of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louise, Have never see this behaviour before between Robins, so nice to see. How nice to see a Tawny that would have made my day too.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  8. I love those shots from underneath of the thrush! You need very good light for those to work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon, the light was just right to day with blue skies, most of the time they turn out black.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  9. Oh, amazing day! Your photos make my heart sing. Many of your plants, birds, and pollinators are similar to ours. Beautiful nature photography!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks PP for such a lovely comment, glad you liked the photos.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  10. You took loads of lovely photos Amanda, especially the Thrush an the Jay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roy, glad you like the photos.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  11. Fantastic photos, what a great day! We're heading there on Saturday, it would be nice to see the LSW but I won't be holding my breath! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam, look forward to seeing what you saw, been to Shipley Glen to day looking for the LSW did see a GSW.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  12. What a fantastic selection of photos with so many different aspects of the natural world to enjoy, you certainly made the best of the weather that day!!!

    I really hope you see the Lesser Spotted Woodpecker one day, they are fantastic little birds what with their diminutive size and distinctive black and white bars on their backs and wings. Indeed I think they used to be known as the Barred Woodpecker, which in my opinion is actually a much better name!

    Interestingly I have never seen Skunk Cabbage but I will be keeping an eye open for it now. When the flower spikes are emerging it looks like a more colourful version of Cuckoo-pint. Also amazed to see that Cuckoo-flower is already flowering, I have not seen any of it over this way yet.

    Hope you have a great weekend and my kindest regards to all :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David, had a lovely day. Still not convinced they were Cuckoo flowers as they were quite tall and out...
      There was more than one patch of them on the Reserve, both in damp areas. Couldn't get close to get a good photo of the leaves. If the weathers not to bad hope to go back this week.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  13. Lots more sun today so I'm wondering just how many more you've taken! Gorgeous photos as always with so much detail - I feel like I can reach out and ruffle the feathers. Love the speedwell photos too. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie, really pleased how some of them turned out, glad you enjoyed them.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  14. Magnificent photos, I can't decide which I like best. You got some really wonderful bird shots! Do love Ratty's little nose too, haha. xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment