Monday, 29 February 2016

Photo Scavenger Hunt..



The word February comes from the word  "februa"- which means cleansing or purification, and reflects the rituals undertaken before Spring.

This is one project I really enjoy doing, I don't need much encouragement to get out there with my camera.
 The list of word helps to look for things I might not have photographed.
Have a look over at Greenthumb and see what other people have snapped.  

Thanks to Greenthumb of Made with Love for organising the hunt.



(Green)
Green has to be the first leaves showing on the Hawthorn.

The hawthorn was thought to be the ancestor of the maypole and was the source of May Day garlands. The rhyme “here we go gathering nuts in May” referred to the collection of knots (not in fact “nuts”) of may blossom (link)
..................................................................................................................................................



(2)

These are two of my favourite pots...bought for a pound some years ago in Settle
............................................................................................................





 (Cool)
We had a few frosty and cool days in February.
Lowest temperature recorded on Earth. Aerial photograph of Vostok Station, the coldest directly observed location on Earth. The lowest natural temperature ever directly recorded at ground level on Earth is −89.2 °C (−128.6 °F; 184.0 K), which was at the Soviet Vostok Station in Antarctica, on July 21, 1983.
.................................................................................................................................................



(Somewhere you went)

Had a day out in Skipton to meet my mum for lunch, every trip here I visit Emma's Apothecary shop, filled with the most wonderful stuff on two floors. I can not leave without buying something. 
Today the Bee compact mirror and the Badger tin came home with me. The Scarf was a present from my Husband on our last visits.
............................................................................................................



(Up)

Up is watching the sun come through the clouds at the park, we have had a quite a few sunny days this month. 
Very nice.
............................................................................................................


(Frame)

Old Man comes out with me when I go a wondering with the camera, quite allot of my photos have bits of him in the frame.
............................................................................................................





(From a low angle)
Crocus are out in the garden.

Different species of crocus bloom in different parts of the year, but most species will show their beautiful flowers during the winter and spring
............................................................................................................





On the shelf
 On my shelf above the new wood burner.
............................................................................................................




(Writing)
Walking round just lately I have noticed how much rubbish there is, the past winds and flooding have not helped.

The discarded box with the words "handle with care" made me think how many people do not care about what a mess we are leaving on the land. 
............................................................................................................



(Inside)
sycamore seed found in side a wall, seed of sycamore are arranged in V-shaped pairs and equipped with wings that facilitate dispersal by wind. One tree produces up to 10.000 seed per season.
Sycamore is often planted in urban areas because of its ability tolerate air pollution and provide shade.
............................................................................................................



(Line)
A line of walls, one of the few greenbelt areas left as you walk down to Guiseley , even though it floods they still want to build houses here...
............................................................................................................

Shape
We all love the shape of a Robin...:)
...............................................................................................................****...





42 comments:

  1. Hello Amanda, what a lovely series of photos. They are all well done, great post. Happy Monday, enjoy your new week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eleen for the lovely comment..
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  2. Oh yes, we do all love the shape of a robin and your photo of he or her is wonderful as are all your photos and interpretations of the topics. Love the goodies you bought from the apothecary shop and your lovely plant pots I've enjoyed visiting, thank you:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rosie, I do enjoy doing the photo hunt, so glad you liked the photos and thank you for the kind comment..
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  3. What a superb post, Amanda. I must look into this scavenger hunt idea! I love your inventive and colourful approach ... and the Robin makes the perfect finale!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Caroline, you must try it's fun to do, you get to take photos of things you might not normally and it makes you think... March word are up, so you have four weeks to take 12 photos.. have a look. And thank you for the kind comment.
    Amanda xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. As always I've enjoyed seeing the excellent photos of your finds for the Scavenger Hunt. I've learnt new facts and thought about environmental issues at the same time. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda, mad rush over the last few day's to find most of the photos, in the end I like what I've got.
      Thanks for the kind comment.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  6. Always interesting to see what you come up with on these photo scavenger hunts and it is certainly a varied collection this month :-) Super photo of the Robin and amazing to see that hawthorn is even starting to leaf over your way. However the discarded box is certainly thought provoking, and a wander along many public highways can be a depressing affair what with all the rubbish which is allowed to build up :-(

    Hope you are well :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David, when I took the photo of the box, my eye was turned to how much rubbish there was...quite a lot dropped by people who just can't be bothered to take it home, or put it in a bin. Very sad.
      Struggled with the word shape, so glad I put the Robin in as he/she looks quite dapper at the end. Thanks for the kind comments.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  7. Beautiful collection - I love 'lines' and '2' and well - theses are all great shots! I've been to Skipton many times (I love a visit!) but I've never actually been inside Emma's Apothecary... I might do next time I'm in town!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Louise, think they are my two favourite photo's, you must visit Emma's shop you will love it..
    Amanda xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely photos - the photo of the sun coming through the clouds is really beautiful. I love the robin and old man, too - he is gorgeous. I haven't seen any hawthorn leaves yet but then I haven't looked - I must do so! Those old pots are great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy, this section of the Hawthorn hedge leading to the park get's the sun all morning (when it's out) other hedges in the park are a long way of coming into leaf.
      Thanks for the lovely comments.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  10. So many stunning photos of beautiful spring! The sky in Up is amazing, and I love the green hawthorn, the crocus and the robin. My favorite, though, is the photo of the 2 old pots and the old books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Val for the lovely comment, glad you like my photo's..
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  11. Your photos are just wonderful. My favourites are 2 and Writing - both should be in magazines. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie that's a really nice comment..
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  12. Wonderful post Amanda - love the effect of the green Hawthorn leaf with the grey background and the wonderful photo of the old pots and books (I spy Observer books there :) ).

    I've also spotted that gorgeous vase with the bee! I did visit ASDA (I think it was) but sadly they had all been sold :(


    Crocuses are flowering here too :) and I would love to be able to visit Emma's Apothecary Shop:) One day we will return to Yorkshire for a holiday and I will remember if we go near Skipton!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks RR, for the lovely comment, only two 'Observer' books I have, ( so far) , yes my Bee vase can't believe it's over a year since I bought it. Coming up North for a holiday is a good idea..
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  13. Beautiful countryside pictures as ever ( Mine are all in the city this time!) I especially love the robin shape,inside,frame ( Beautiful old man :) ) and Up. Love Emma's Apothercary too.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shazza for the lovely comment and glad you like my photos..
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  14. Amanda - what a lovely selection for us all to look at.
    I do like those two pots, the colour of them is just great.
    The sky looks lovely too, the way the sun is coming through.

    Hope March has started well ...

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jan, I wish new pots would weather as well as these old ones, older the better. Was hoping the sun would come out more in march... fingers crossed.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  15. Wow! I really enjoyed all of your photos, starting out with that impressive harbinger of spring in the form of new green Hawthorn leaves. Those two pots are distinctively wonderful! Emma's Apothecary shops sounds like it would be a place a person would love to get lost in, lost in a Cabinet of Curiosities... I see your sweet Badger Box and bee mirror found a good home on your shelf :) The intricacies of weathered lace on the sycamore seed is exquisite. I love rock walls, and your photo highlights them perfectly. English robins are a lovely shape :) Thanks also for the commentary that accompanies your photos...very enlightening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Glo for the lovely comments, think we would all like a Emma's shop on our street, would run out of money very soon :)
      Have a lovely week..
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  16. So many wonderful shots here Amanda that it's hard to pick favourites...but your picture for 2 is exceptional and worthy of being published. Lovely also is the darling robin and the cardboard box dropped by a thoughtless litter lout made a bloody good photo. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Fiona for the lovely comment, been so pleased with the results and the lovely comment's from everybody.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  17. Your posts are always so creative! I've often thought about joining in the "happy hunting" meme, so I guess I need to get my act together and do so. Love the cute, little robin. Your robins are as endearing as ours. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank PP for the lovely comment, you need to have a go as you get to photograph things you might have over looked before.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  18. What a lovely post, beautiful photos, I especially love the sycamore seed x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam, for the lovely comment, hope you are well.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  19. What a fabulous set of photos. I'm not sure which are my favourites as each one just gets better. Love them all, but I particularly love the seed picture. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amanda, glad to came by and left a lovely comment.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  20. I really enjoyed this post, Amanda. I really like the way you compose the photographs and then bring out the colours. I think my favourites are the sycamore seed and the photograph of Guiseley (fingers crossed they never build there - it just looks too pretty).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tim for the lovely comment, I to hope they don't build on this land too. They are after every bit of green belt at the moment !!
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  21. I love your photos Amanda, particularly Up and 2 and Cool and Writing - you are so right about the carelessness of people. We are plagued with sycamore seeds - I can well believe the 10,000 seedlings - we have three trees in our garden and I spend most of the spring pulling out sycamore seedlings.
    But most of all, I love all the little random bits of information you've given. Delighted to have found your blog.
    Fil @ Fil’s Place - Old songs and Memories

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fil what a lovely comment, with three trees you are going to have a lot of seeds. I like to find new things to go with the words, I to learn something on the way.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  22. Fantastic photos, especially the Robin. It's such a shame they want to build on yet more greenbelt area, I hope they don't. :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deb for the lovely comment, fingers crossed they won't build on this land.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  23. Excellent post! I love your take on the words given and your photos just keep getting better and better. Really enjoyable. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mandy again for the lovely comment.
      Amanda xx

      Delete