Friday, 12 February 2016

Look what came in the post

Add caption

I have joined  the world of Instagram...
which is giving me a creative outlet for my photography as well as combining it with nature, books and many other things I love to collect.
A quick search on the internet, and most books can be found.

One of the ladies I came across dawienettlebee, she takes wonderful photos of Bird, animal and nature books, some of the books I had not seen before. I love the old nature books, the paintings and the drawings as well as the smell.. As a child I lived next to a paper mill, were many of the books I have now came from, rescued before they were mashed up into a pulp to make new paper. I spent most of my childhood in that place and the smell of old books sends me back. 


"The Seasons" foreword by Roy Strong.
To illustrate the four seasons of the year Louis Lawrence chose and wrote out  in decorative script  short extracts of poetry  and pose by writers such as Longfellow, Southey, Scott, Tennyson and Wordsworth. He decorated each page with his own delicate drawings and watercolours.
( notes from the book)










Found tucked inside the book was a little card left by the previous owner.  



Stamps was another thing I collected from the mill, letters from all over to be recycled. I have a large folder full, but I could not resist ordering some bird and flower stamps, they are wonderful too.








I more books to show, but I will leave you with this one found in a second hand shop on Wild Flowers, this book too has lovely drawings.










20 comments:

  1. Hello, what a lovely book. I enjoyed the images and this post. Happy Friday, enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The book looks really nice Amanda. Something to treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a beautiful book - I recently bought a copy of it too! Your photos are lovely too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A wonderful post and photos Amanda. The Seasons book looks really beautiful (as she rushes off to Amazon!!!). Don't you just love second hand books especially when you find something inside from the previous owner :) So lovely too that it brings back memories of your childhood. Rather like the stamps too :)

    Off now to check Cottage Corner :) Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a lovely book.Beautiful illustrations and I love your photographs.I had lots of old books as a child but when we moved from the farm my mum had a big sale and all our lovely old books went. :( I do have one recently purchased old edition of The Waterbabies though and i have collected the seasons Ladybirds.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now that is one beautiful book.

    Have a happy weekend

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  7. A most enjoyable post and it was lovely to look at all the old books and stamps what with their beautiful illustrations of the natural world. "The Seasons" looks rather wonderful, the drawings are simply superb, whilst I am pretty certain that I have the Wild Flower book tucked away somewhere. One day I must really try and sort through all our books!

    Hope you have a most enjoyable weekend and my kindest regards to all :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a find! Your imagery is wonderful and tells it's own story Amanda. Perfect past times for a miserable weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a lovely post with some beautiful photos. The book looks delightful and the stamps too. I love looking at illustrations of wildflowers, so I think I would spend hours looking at your collection there!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a gorgeous book, really lovely. Great collections too Amanda.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such beautiful finds to be treasured forever! Happy Valentines! xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love that book! Wonderful photos too :o) xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely book and beautiful illustrations. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful book. There is something special about old books. I love searching for them x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you Thank you all for your lovely comments....
    Amanda xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a beautiful book, I love these kind of books, I have quite a collection myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam, many more to discover I am sue..
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  17. I'm thinking to myself that book's not old. So I looked it up and found it was first published in 1981. Then I realised that it is quite old, just not as old as me! It does look a lovely book and reminded me of "The Country Diary of An Edwardian Lady" by Elizabeth Holden which was a publishing sensation when it came out in 1977. All the other publishers were trying to find something similar to compete. I don't suppose any of the others became such a brand that bedding, wallpaper, stationery and all manner of household goods came out adopting the name and print style. Love the Fritillary illustration and its little frog (or am I imagining that?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John, I had not looked at the date, had expected it to be older than it was. I see what you mean about the 'frog' but if you zoom in , it's a flower head that has fallen of.
      Amanda xx

      Delete