Still raining let's go to the Park.


“Hope
Smiles from the threshold of the year to come, 
Whispering 'it will be happier'...” 





Some free time has come my way, and the damp, dark , wet weather was not going to stop me from getting out with my camera.
I have been to the park a few times over winter but it is so wet and muddy it's not always a pleasant walk, 





I took some food to feed the Swans and took note of the number on one of the Swans legs, the other Swan has not been tagged.

Yellow ring with a black three numeric code.
Large project ongoing since 2006 throughout Yorkshire counties, Derbyshire and Cleveland, working in close conjunction with the Sorby Breck Ringing Group.

I might get in touch and find out how old the bird is.




Last year we had a young Heron on the pond, it stayed for a week before moving on, it would be nice to know if this is the same bird, it's been around for a few days now and is quite happy to sit there while people and there dogs walk round the pond.



They suffer badly in cold winters when ponds and streams are frozen for prolonged periods. The recent run of mild weathers has helped boost the population.

 Herons are among the earliest nesters. It's not unusual for some birds to lay their first eggs in early February, though the normal start is early March, peaking at the end of the month.
(link)








On the 31st of December I recorded  these two birds for the first time at the park, a male ans a female. To day I notice another male had joined them.
At Yeadon Tarn which is not far from here the numbers have been growing every year up to 30 birds can be present at anyone time. 
Five years back I had never seen one, but now round this area they are to found on most rivers and bodies of water.


These handsome diving ducks are a member of the sawbill family, so called because of their long, serrated bills, used for catching fish. A largely freshwater bird, the goosander first bred in the UK in 1871. It built up numbers in Scotland and then since 1970 it has spread across northern England into Wales, reaching south-west England. Its love of salmon and trout has brought it into conflict with fishermen. It is gregarious, forming into flocks of several thousand in some parts of Europe.(link)



Best of all I found these  

Swan Mussel (Anodonta (Anodonta) cygnea)

I have seen them in the pond ,when the sun hits the water right you can see then covering the pond bed. these few shells have been dragged up due to the flooding blocking the flow of the pond.


This aquatic bivalve mollusc is a large species of freshwater mussel. The shell is thin but large (approximately 10 to 20 cm) and rather flat, even at the umbo. The shell colour is often pale greenish or brownish.

(The umbo (plural umbones or umbos) is the vaguely defined, often most prominent, highest part of each valve of the shell of a bivalve or univalve mollusk.)



When cleaned they have beautiful pear inner coating.






Fresh water life is one subject I know little about and the thing I learned about these muscle, was how the young attach them self to the gills of fish .



(link)

The next few days I hope to catch up with you all, and go through all my other blogs were I make my lists of what I've recorded. If you follow some of these you might notice some of the photos will be from any time through out the year till I catch up with sorting them out.












Comments

  1. Glad you have managed to get out on walks despite the recent weather and may I also take this opportunity to wish you a belated Happy New Year. I hope you haven't suffered any flooding in your part of West Yorkshire!

    Wonderful photos as always, especially the herons and the Goosanders, the latter always being a favourite bird of mine, whilst the inside of that Swan Mussel is stunning. Nature is wonderful isn't it :-)

    Hope you and yours are well and kindest regards :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David and Happy New Year to you and your family as well. Flooding been bad in our area but we have managed to be OK up to now.
      The stream that runs from the Banks into and through the park as well as the pond are going to be my pet project to learn more about what's living in the water and along the stretch of water as well.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  2. Lovely post, love that the mallard appears to be inspecting the swans leg as well as you! Great heron shots too, way better camera than mine I guess!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon, and I hope you are well. The Heron was a good find and not like most birds it kept very still so I could get quite close, camera did OK to say it was dull and raining at the time.
      Will be catching up with all your news..
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  3. Hi Amanda, lovely shots of the Goosander pair. Happy new year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roy, it was so nice to see the Goosanders on the pond, love adding to the Park list..
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  4. Lovely to see you back, Amanda. I'd love to see a goosander on our pond - it was exciting enough seeing a pair of cormorants! Happy new year. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie, just been over to see you...
      We get a few Cormorants all year round up at Yeadon Dam, have not been for a while will go and see if I can find them for you :)
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  5. So pleased you managed to get out Amanda with the camera despite the rain. Lovely photos of the Heron and Goosander and I love the pearly sheen on the inside shell of the mussels.

    Hope you manage to find out some more information on the swan and look forward to reading more of your freshwater project :)

    Happy New Year :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks RR, I am starting to look quite forward to the year a head, many projects on the cards.
      Had you seen the New Year plant hunt on twitter run by the Botanical Society of the British Isles, thought of you. Further up North there will be less out and all the flooding as not helped, not sure how long it runs for.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
    2. Yes, I did spot it thanks Amanda and did think of taking part until the rain arrived for the four days when you could count flowers! Not that keen on walking in heavy rain unless I have to! Look forward to hearing about your projects :)

      Delete
    3. The rain has stopped me too, was dry this afternoon and a little sun too, but had other plans:(. Garden bird watch a the end of the month to look forward to.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  6. The weather has not been good, so it is always so nice when you do finally get the chance to get out ... and so pleased you were able to take and share so many lovely photographs.

    Hope the New Year has started well for you.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jan, and hope you are well. Looks like it is going to be wet for a while, going to have to make the most of it I think.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  7. Yes, let's go to the park! Your park is ever so much more pleasant than mine right now. Cold here until February. Winter hiking is OK, but I like your park better. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks PP, quite a lot of the park is ankle deep in mud, but they have put some new path ways in and you can get round with out getting to muddy.I am very lucky to have a rich diversity place on my door step and still surprised I can find new things after so many years.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  8. Great shots of the Herons and Goosanders.
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deb and Happy New Year to you as well, so nice to get out with the camera even though it was raining...
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  9. I admire your bravery for getting out there Amanda. How very helpful of the Heron. I do hope they are not too confused with the mild weather and don't nest early.
    A beautiful selection of pictures and I can tell you I thoroughly enjoyed your tour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angie, and Happy New Year. Went back the next day and the Heron was still in the very same spot!
      Going to be cold next week we are all in for a shock.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  10. Great to hear from you and to see your lovely walk too! Happy New Year! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy, have still been reading you posts, seeing what you have been up to.
      Happy New Year to you as well.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  11. It is good to get out isn't it, rain or not, the fresh air is worth it! I'll agree on the Goosander's i've never seen them at the tarn till recently either :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam,hope to get a walk round the tarn this week.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  12. Happy new year, Amanda! A great post, and I'm amazed to see those Goosanders, which I've only ever seen in Scotland!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Caroline, they do vwere well round here, still nice to see them though.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  13. You are so lucky to have captured these shy birds. Every time I have walked on the Fens around my way, there is a heron in the distance, as I approach it takes off and flies a little further ahead. One day I will get that photo! Have a wonderful weekend x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chel, it's nice to get close to such a large bird, and I do hope you get your photo one day.
      Amanda xx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts