First bird walk of 2016.. Eccup


How nice to see Fieldfare as my first bird of the day, just a small group feeding on the edge of a field next to a small coppiced wood for cover. The field had Turnips in for the sheep to feed on, they were rooting through the chewed up ground left by the sheep. 
Later on I would see other small groups flying round the area.



On leaving this morning the temperature was -2, the land was covered in a light frost untouched by the sun.
Blackbird,Starling, Great tit and Blue tit were spotted, above the screech of the Red Kite could be heard , some coming quite close. I never get tired of watching these wonderful birds.




At the farm, smaller birds can be found in the  Hawthorn hedge .

Sparrow , Yellowhammer, 




Mistle Thrush, Wren, Carrion crow, Magpie and  Jackdaw




The land is still very wet, today most of the pools were frozen, looking very bleak and bare.





A Pheasant was spotted far away in a field.


I have been to Eccup many times over the years and  have got to know were I might see certain  birds at different times of the year. 
Red Kite can be seen all over the area, even at home we have three that fly round and can be seen most days.

My camera has a great zoom, but the quality is lost, these birds were far way..
 As the trees are bare I was just checking out any dark blobs in trees, so pleased to find two.




The wind of the reservoir was cold, 

Tufted duck and Mallards were the only birds on the water.


On the long road back to the car a Robin was spotted, then I was back at the farm.
The sun had brought more birds out.




Chaffinch, Wood pigeon, and one very lonely
Black headed Gull 



Had thought this was a young Wood Pigeon, but thanks to David I now know it is a 
Stock Dove.
Turns out I have not recorded this bird before, so thanks again David . A new bird for 2016.




The Greylag geese and some White geese  were feeding in the fields too.
It's such a wide open space with big farmed fields, it's hard to get close to some of the birds.



Back at the field were I started.


Fieldfare were still feeding as was the Chaffinch, and  Pied Wagtail.
Great Spotted Woodpecker, was spotted through the trees, it's bright red feathers gave it away.






Comments

  1. I did enjoy this post. Wonderful photos.
    We lived just north of Leeds back in the late 1980s and often walked at Eccup, Adel Woods, Golden Acre and some of your other local haunts.

    So good to see that you have Red Kites up in Yorkshire. Stunning birds and so graceful. Non breeding in the New Forest so far. I haven`t seen a Fieldfare here this year and the Redwings are not as plentiful as usual.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks DW, for leaving a comment, Eccup is such a wonderful place to walk round.
      I am sure we have a breading pair of Red Kites at the back of our house up on Yeadon Banks, they have been about for some years now and can often see three or four flying above the house, coming very low looking for food.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  2. A lovely post and photos Amanda. It looks a great walk with a good mix of habitats and species :)

    Good to read of all the Red Kites. The closest I've seen them is Oxfordshire but occasionally "wanderers" are reported in Warwickshire so I live in hope they will one day spread here and become numerous :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks RR, Eccup is great for that reason, the mix of habitats. It's a shame though you are not allowed to walk round the water edge of the lake, owned by Yorkshire water.
      Red Kites have done so well, so I hope one day you will get to see them as much as I do..
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  3. Super photos as always Amanda and some great birds too, especially the lovely Red Kites and the very handsome Fieldfares :-)

    However you can add another bird to your year list as the Wood Pigeon is actually a Stock dove. They do look like young Wood Pigeons but the black bar on the wing helps to ID this less gregarious species. They are one of my favourite 'doves' :-)

    Hope you are having a lovely weekend and kindest regards to all :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David, even though there was birds about, I noted they were all in smaller numbers than usual.

      So pleased you noted the Stock Dove, turns out I have not recorded this bird before ! Could have easily mist it if I was not doing a list.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  4. Great to see you back blogging again! I have not time to comment on all posts but was impressed by the Goosanders. I have not seen any of them since I moved to Brittany. :-( These photos in this post are lovely and you must have been freezing! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mandy and I hope you are feeling better, it's been so nice to get out with the camera. Something special about Goosanders.
      I was wrapped up from top to toe, always have a flask of coffee with me, and plenty of hot flushes to keep me warm!!!
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  5. That was quite a walk Amanda with lots of interest. Yes great to see some Fieldfare at last.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roy, You would love it here, could have stayed all day (needed a pee !)
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  6. What a wonderful start to your wildlife photography year!!! So many wonderful animals and amazing photos too. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy, It's nice when a plan comes together and you get time to enjoy wildlife..
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  7. Your wildlife photos are really excellent. Loved seeing a close up of the Fieldfair. I see them often at a distance in our fields but they always scatter before I can make out the details.
    Jacqui x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jacqui, hope you are well. yes it was nice to see Fielfare, I was hiding in a old "shed " to take these as they are quite skittish birds and they fly of at the slightest noise.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  8. Hello Amanda, beautiful variety of birds and lovely photos. The fieldfare is a gorgeous bird. I love the sheep too. Happy Monday, enjoy your new week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for leaving a lovely comment..
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  9. Glorious set of pictures- I've really missed your photos. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks CT, pleased you like my photos..
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  10. Love the pictures of the Fieldfares, and it is lovely to see them in some sun. I also really like the frosty plants and dead bracken. You still manage to see far more details to photograph than I when you take your camera out. Best Wishes John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John,lovely comment, as for detail.. I like to photo everything, then I see what it looks like when I get home. There are a lot you don't see..
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  11. Oh Amanda you've got some great shots here. I've always had a soft spot for robins, so loved that particular photo!

    We actually had sun and blue skies today so I wrapped up warm and enjoyed a very nice afternoon walk, very pleasant it was too ...

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jan for the lovely comment, it was so nice to get out in the sun..
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  12. Lovely photos Amanda. It's great to hear that you see Red Kites often over there as they were scarce over here until they reintroduced them recently, so hopefully we'll see more of them too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deb,hope the Kites do well as they are great to watch,the Crows and Gulls are not as happy to see them though..
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  13. Great to see the Fieldfares, that's a bird I seem to miss quite often during winter! Lovely photos :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam, not sure if you have been to Eccup, if not it's worth a visit.Easy walking all on the flat !
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  14. Wow Amanda! every time I visit your lovely blog, you inspire me to get out and about in our local fields and have a proper look around, that stock dove is so sweet it looks like he has a cable knitted jumper on!
    bestest wishes
    D x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Daisy, such a nice comment... I look at your blog for inspiration too..
      Amanda xx

      Delete

Post a Comment