Wallpaper on ,Woodcock surprise , Butterflies in the garden and a moth kinda week !


How long does it take to wallpaper two wall's
all day!

We have brought the out side in, I love stone walls. Two weeks the floor is coming, which is good as the kitchen contents are spread all over the house and I am starting to forget were I put everything...



We have had a lot of rain the past few days, mainly around teatime, but the days have been warm and sunny which has brought the Butterflies into the garden. 
Large Whites, Admirals and a nice return of the Peacock Butterfly. 


Friday I had a break from decorating and had a wonder up on the Banks, the fields are full of 
Ragwort. 


Even though the plant is poisonous to Horses there were Horses in the fields, I think if they have grown up with them in the field they know not to eat them, death by Ragwort is quite low.
Having said that I don't now how I would feel if they were my Horses.


The bees do love the flower though.



Sunday is going to be my day to visit the Gravel Pits at Ben Rhydding, the sun was out with a slight breeze, a proper lazy hazy summers day.

Harlequin Ladybird


I had hoped to spend some time on the river looking for birds, but forgot it has been raining so hard in the West the river was up, there was no sight of the Kingfishers on the ponds either.

The Peacock Butterflies were out here to day too.



Peacock 


I think these are Sea Holly thistles growing in one spot under the trees.



There was another couple wondering round, he was trying to get a photo of this Southern Hawker, it was flying round him threatening to land at any moment, then flying of as the camera was raised. We had a chat how hard it was to photograph them, he gave up and carried on with there walk.

Once his back was turned the Hawker settled down on the Hawthorn tree right in front of me and stayed, in the end it stayed so long I left it sunning it's self in the sun.


Southern Hawker




Speckled wood
 Noticed this little plant, a first for me Red Bartsia pretty little plant.


 Red Bartsia

I was now back at the entrance, quite a wide area of gravel alongside the tree line.
There sat was a little bird, quietly asking it to sit still so I could take it's photo.

At first I thought it was a Grouse, I don't know why !  managed just one shot and it flew of.
Looking at the photo I realised it had a long beak... Snipe , no not quite right.
 Put it on iSpot as a Woodcock and it is....

a first for me and it might be a first for this site. 



Just one new moth this week as most nights it has been raining 

Shuttle-shaped Dart (Agrotis puta)






Comments

  1. Nice! This post has it all--great plants, moths, butterflies, mammals, dragonflies, and birds (what did I miss?)! Great photos, too! I don't think I've ever seen those Sea Holly Thistles before--what a wonderful plant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks PP, Had not looked at it like that, think I am missing a fish !
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  2. I hope you're going to show us the kitchen when it's finished - I love the wallpaper! You've been lucky with the butterflies again. I have a verbena bonariensis outside my living room window and last year it regularly had butterflies visiting. This year I've not seen a single one - it's worrying. Hoping to visit Brockholes later in the week if the rain holds so maybe I'll see some there. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie will show when all done, we have a Buddleja globosa tree as well at the bottom of the garden the flowers are usually covered in Butterflies but very few this year, they seem to like the purple Buddleia better at the moment.
      How nice to be going to Brockholes, I would love to go again at this time of year, take plenty of photos..
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  3. I love the beautiful Peacock butterfly. And the horse scene is lovely! Pretty post and images.Happy Monday, enjoy your new week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eileen, glad you like the photos..
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  4. The gravel pits really are quite the haven aren't they! Very nice of the Hawker to pose in the end! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam, thought at first I was not going to spot anything to day, so pleased I stayed a little longer..
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  5. Lovely selection of things. Few flutters out here at the mo as it's wet, wet, wet :o( xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks CT, Butterflies were out first thing but now it's raining again :( had hope to put the moth trap out...
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  6. Well done on the Woodcock and especially getting such a great photo :) Love the kitchen wallpaper - hope its finished soon. I dread the thought of tackling our kitchen as we need new units and goodness only knows where I would put everything while it was being done!

    That is an awful lot of Ragwort in the horse field!! I love Ragwort and its importance for insects but I don't think I would want that much in a field if the horses were mine!!

    Lovely to see the Peacock. Still very very few Red Admirals, Peacocks or Small Tortoiseshells round here though plenty of Gatekeepers and Holly Blues.

    Great post Amanda.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks RR, I was so lucky to get the shot as it was the only one I took before it flew of. Still loads to do in the kitchen before the floor gets fitted. More Peacocks and Red Admirals in the garden this morning, but it's raining now...
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  7. Fabulous shots, I've never seen a southern hawker settle ever! I'll never get a picture of one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon, I was just in the right place when it decided to have a rest...
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  8. Your photos as always are great. Ooh that wallpaper, I had to do a double take, it looks so realistic. Looking forward to seeing more. Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is an amazing amount of ragwort in that field! It's short too, round here it grows 3 foot tall at least and is less bushy. Maybe different kinds of soil or moisture content, I don't know.

    Love all the pics of the butterflies and everything else. What luck with the dragonfly! The wallpaper is great too. What flooring did you choose? Hope we get to see the kitchen when finished.

    I found the moth post/blog you were talking about. I think I would lose the will to live trying to count that many moths!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. So that is what Ragwort looks like, thank you for the ID.

    You are either extremely fortunate or simply clever, to capture the Southern Hawker and the Woodcock, well done. Your pictures are rather lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Always wonderful to see your beautiful photos! xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. The woodcock was an amazing spot! Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts