Wild week..Butterflies to wild flowers....


Saturday was a visit home, I had gone to Craven rock in Langcliffe to look for Orchids but rain stopped play.



When I was a child this was a landfill site, many hours were spent playing here, but now thankfully  wild flowers, trees and rabbits have taken it back.
I found White Stonecrop which is a new plant for me and Dame's Violet growing amongst the large leaves of Butterbur.

 


  

There was open gardens going on in Settle , but people were stopping at my parents house to admire the red poppies and their garden.





The warm weather has brought the butterflies out. So my Wild idea was to photograph them.

 Meadow Brown Butterfly (Maniola jurtina)





Large Skipper (Ochlodes sylvanus)





Back from Settle a few plants came home, we have build a wall near the pond and the plants have gone in there.




There  is life in the new pond, were there is water you are going to get Mosquito's, midges etc, think these are mozzy lave.




Then I spotted snails moving about in the water. Not sure were they have come from , but the eggs could have been in the water plants I bought ?


One of my favourite  flowers has flowered in the front garden, with the most supper name.

Love-in-the-mist
(Nigella damascena)




and to finish of my week I watched our Crow fill up on meal worms and peanuts, we have a chat every time he comes in the garden, never know he might talk back one day !





Comments

  1. Meadow Browns are everywhere this week- looks like a good year for them. Super pics as always. I love how you always find new plants where ever you go! Did you get to the bottom of your possible baby raven? xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks CT, it was decided that the bird was a carrion crow, but understood why I thought it might have been a rook. Love finding new flowers have been looking for your two mystery flowers but have not seen anything like them, will keep looking.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  2. Super shots Amanda, the little pond is looking fab. I'm sure the frogs or toads will be along to scoff up those mosquito larvae. Little ponds tend to stagnate over time so I always use a watering can to top up the water by pouring from waist height. It seems to keep the water from stinking lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ian, that sounds like good advice, did concern me about it becoming stagnet...
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  3. A lovely shot of the landscape in the first photo. You feature two plants in this post that I saw by the river on my recent walk that I didn't know the names of at the time i.e. Butterbur and Dame's Violet. They must like growing together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda, Butterbur and Dame's Violet must like the same habitat, as I have seen them before growing together.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  4. Oh your butterflies' shot are great ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Géraldine B., butterflies are not for sitting still for long so I was pleased with what I got...
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  5. Lovely! I've not seen many butterflies at all so far this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louise, this week has been the best week so far for butterflies now the weather has warmed up a bit, so fingers crossed they will be out all over..
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  6. I am always amazed at the way that plants and animals will colonise an area and seem to appear from nowhere to take over! so no wonder the snails appeared and that the plants at the old dump are doing so well! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy, it's so pleasing to see areas growing back wild, often with new plants that have been laying dormant in the soil.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  7. Beautiful butterfly images.
    Love the wildflowers that have returned.......always amazes me how quickly nature can take things back.

    Pretty pond, and doing so well.............look forward to seeing how this progresses.

    Lovely wild post Amanda

    BTW I love Nigella..........only problem here, is the rabbits do to. Cannot grow them :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cheryl, butterflies are very hard to photograph in the field especially when you have a nosy dog chasing them off! carefully catcher these two and photographed them in the light box.
      I was looking for the other name of this pant (Nigella) noticed to day Morrison's has the seeds in, so I'm wondering if I did buy them in the past...
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  8. Fab poppies in your parents garden! Just starting to see large and small skippers here, and the meadow browns have been around for several weeks. Otherwise still a bit quiet for butterflies. Lovely post. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mandy, they have looked stunning this year, not to much rain to bash them. The warm weather has brought the butterflies out and in better numbers, so that's good.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  9. The meadow browns are beautiful up close! I've never examined them in detail and how lovely is your parents' garden!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kezzie, I had not realised how beautiful they were...
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  10. Lovely post and photos Amanda - your parents' garden looks beautiful :) Saw lots of Meadow Browns and Skippers last week - its wonderful to see the butterflies starting to appear in more numbers :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment