Wednesday, 3 June 2015

Plantlife, birds and just a very nice place to be...



This is the second time I have singed up to the Plantlife scheme, it is to collect data at a allotted plot and record the wild flower's two times a year. Simple enough you would think !

To be honest I am finding it a little hard as they have changed all the evidence gathering from the last time, I don't want to put anybody of having a go, as I think once I get started it should all fall into place.  

The survey has been designed to monitor the abundance of sets of species within fixed plots. (square or linear plots) in 28 fine NPMS (National Plant Monitoring Scheme) habitats. 
Three square plots at 5m x 5m (woodland will be 10m x 10m) and two linear plots at 25m.

There are three levels you can record at, Wildflower, Indicator and Inventory. Each of your plots will cover one of the habitats, there are 11 habitats from bog to coastal, all this comes in a pack to read, with a very good wildflower book and recording forms.

So I went for a plot in a place called

Blubberhouses 

Blubberhouses is a small village and civil parish located in the Washburn Valley in the borough of Harrogate in North Yorkshire, a county in the north of England.





It is about a forty minuet drive from my house through some of the most stunning scenery to the top of Fewston reservoir above Swinsty reservoir (post here).  As you come over the hill you can see the golf balls of RAF Menwith Hill. These too look stunning.



At the car park , the first thing you notice is the lovely little church up on the hill.


We had been a few weeks back to have a look round, so to day I had some idea of what I was going to do. One of my linear plots and one 5m x 5m plot.



My linear plot runs along the path and is full of wild flowers, I still have to go through all my photos but the highlight was finding some Bistort, I have not recorded this plant before.

and the Bitter vetch looked stunning.

This will be one of my habitat plots with the stream running through down to the reservoir.


It was the most beautiful day, so after taking notes I went for a walk round the other side of the lake.


Wren, Chiffchaff, Canada Geese, Mallard with ducklings, and it was nice to spot some Teal, two males and one female were spotted,







A place to sit and watch the day go by, there is no way I was going to get the survey done in one trip, such a shame I will have to go back to this beautiful place....!!!





26 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous place. It looks very pastoral, colorful, and lush. The program you participated in reminds me of some of the citizen science projects I've had the pleasure of joining. Your wildflowers are so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks PP, so glad I chose this place, I look forward to going back as you say it's very lush at the moment...
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  2. I've never seen a teal, imagine! Round here they are winter visitors, frequenting places I don't wish to cycle to in cold weather. I have seen wigeon locally though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon, it's the first time I have seen Teal round here, the first time was in Wales some years ago...
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  3. What an amazing place. When I came to the photo with all the clouds, all I could say was wow! I recognise the domes because me and my friends drive by every September on our way to the quilt festival in Harrogate. I didn't realise there was all this beauty so close by. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie, Have been to the quilt show a few times, perhaps you need to stop of one day and have a look....the clouds have been rather lovely these past few days..
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  4. Beautiful photos Amanda. I know Blubberhouses, having spent a short time time at the Army Apprentice College back in the 1991. We did a map reading exercise in the area around the reservoirs, lovely place. It was full of snow at the time we visited.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ian, you must go back now while all the flowers are out, you will love it..
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  5. Wonderful post for a beautiful place ... thanks for sharing this experience you've had there !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Géraldine, nice to show you a little of were I live...
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  6. I hope that you have fun with your hunting (plants) and gathering (data)! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy, I will be OK when Iv'e done it once, then it should get a little easier.....
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  7. What a wonderful place.. those views.. simply stunning. Love that little church on the hill. :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie, hope you are well, isn't the church wonderful, hope to explore the area a little more over the summer...
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  8. Love the name of this beautiful place, and your landscapes are stunning! Sounds a complicated scheme, but if it's just twice a year I guess not so difficult. It will be interesting to see what else you discover ..... when you are not distracted by the birds and scenery!! :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mandy, such a great name, which we have many of round here. Must admit I was looking for more things than just plants :)
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  9. This sounds like an interesting plant life monitoring project and you've chosen a beautiful place to do it. Stunning scenery - love the cloud formations in your landscape photos and the wild flowers you found on your chosen plot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda, I keep telling my sister I don't need to go abroad when there so many beautiful places like this to discover right on my door step...
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  10. Lovely post Amanda - the landscape shots are beautiful. Its certainly a lot different to my square!! Still haven't had chance to visit again and get started on mine. Looks as though you will find some great plants there - look forward to seeing more of what you find :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks RR, thought you would like this place, can get a little busy later on in the day with walkers, but safe enough to go on my own....
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  11. Some wonderful landscape images Amanda.......skies to die for :)

    BUT the walls....oh my, I love those walls. When I visit Cornwall, part of my holiday is studying life in the walls.
    Did the same when I visited Yorkshire. I want a wall in my garden................can you hear me hubby :) Fat chance :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cheryl, the sky's were stunning to day, that's what I love about Yorkshire I too never get tiered of the lovely lime stone walls...
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  12. What a glorious place! And Blubberhouses has to be the best name for an area ever :o) You know, I really think you should consider publishing your photos - I know you do with the blog, but I mean somewhere else too, they really are stunning. You have a real talent and gift there my friend x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks CT, made my evening reading your comment so thank you very much....
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  13. What a beautiful area - gorgeous views! I've often seen Swinsty Reservoir on the maps when I've been in that area and always like the sound of it, but haven't walked there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louise, If you get the chance you must have a walk round here you would love it...
      Amanda xx

      Delete