I might have just found my Utopia....







Nestled in the valley between Baildon and Shipley  there is a green oasis.
Shadowed by one of three golf courses were  planning of houses doesn't touch, I have been shown a place for wild life. 

Rolling hills of wild flowers to ponds filled with fish, old oak woods, streams and rivers.

You dive to it not far from my house about fifteen minuet along buzzy roads past the industrial estates and rows of houses.
When you park up there is no hint of what's to come but the impressive tree line houses has a grand feel to it. Along a path, through a gate and it opens up into a world of green what takes your breath away.

Can you tell I was rather impressed.




The path walks you down through banking brimming with wild flowers, patches of bog plants are speckled through the fields and the sky is filled with bird song and not traffic.

I first visited on Wednesday night to have a look and we did not see another soul, then me and the Old Man had a look to day. The cold grey sky's did not dampen my joy and the wind died down the further down towards the lake you went.




On Wednesday night I spotted a new flower for me




There are two Swans on the water with a few Mallards with young and the odd Coot. Chiffchaff's, singing away in the trees.


Along one of the gullies were water from one of the stream flows, I spotted this White Robin or Ragged-Robin (Silene flos-cuculi) , the white form is sold as a cultivar. 
Its the most beautiful white and a lovely plant that would sit well in my garden.



There is a patch of land which is covered in Pineapple flower and Mayweed giving a different environment for the insects.

Scentless Mayweed
 (Tripleurospermum inodorum)


I'm waiting for ID but I think this a Common Field Grasshopper


I was still having trouble taking it all in
 the abundance of plants and habitats .
 I sat and watched the Swallow feed her young.




I managed to find a few insect,even though the day was cool, if it had been warm and the Butterflies were out I might have combusted.....!


Green Dock Beetle
 (Gastrophysa viridula)



I could visit day in day out and find new things to photograph, there were paths leading of all over, 

I'll leaving them for another day, "what will I discover !!"

Water Forget-me-not
(Myosotis scorpioides)



There were large patches of Common Bird's-foot Trefoil, great food for Butterflies , just need the sunshine.




The only Flutter seen to day was the Chimney Sweeper Butterflies, which there was quite a few.

A small, sooty black moth with white fringes on wing tips. Often found near pignut and found on chalk grassland, old hay meadows, streamsides and other grasslands.

This distinctive moth has sometimes been mistaken for the Small Blue butterfly. It rarely varies in colour but may become browner with wear. This moth is usually very active by day, especially in sunshine.




Pignut
(Conopodium majus)

Chimney Sweeper
(Odezia atrata )

Common Spotted-Orchid
 (Dactylorhiza fuchsii)

I will leave you with a photo of Old Man looking out over the land,
needless to say I will be back here again soon.












Comments

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Louise, have a wonderful weekend..
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  2. Looks like a lovely place to visit. I've lived in the same area all my life, so finding new 'local' places to visit doesn't happen often. Loving your beetle photo, my little boy would love to put something like that in his 30 days journal! Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah, the beetle is stunning and I think the camera just caught it at the right angle to show the green off...I still can not get over how this place is just down the road from me..
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  3. Super photos Amanda, it sure does look a Utopian place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Old man is adorable and your pics of the birds are amazing!
    D xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Daisy, have a nice weekend..
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  5. Wonderful photos Amanda.. that looks like my kind of place. Love the photo of your old man,he has the sweetest little face :o) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie, Old Man had as much fun as I did...
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  6. As always ... so wonderful .... thanks !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your photos of the wild life are stunning. To have found somewhere you haven't visited before that's near you and is so unspoilt is exciting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda, liked how quiet it was, I do love going to my park but it can get very busy sometimes which makes it hard to photograph the birds especially...
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  8. Wow Amanda - what a superb place to discover and explore. I would have been over the moon too! Beautiful photos and a great one of the Chimney Sweeper Moth - they are so difficult to get a shot of! Can't wait to see more posts on this Utopia :) Have a lovely weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks RR, It would have been very special to have some one like you there to see all the wonderful things...It was nice to see so many Chimney Sweeper Moths. Been to a Moth event to day which you would have liked to, three traps left out over night and we got to see what was in them, blog about it later....
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  9. I want to go.........so beautiful.

    I have the wild ragged robin in the garden. It is top of my wildflower favourites. I prefer the white though, it has an ethereal quality.....must get some.

    Lovely to see the swallows........but that old man, well he is such a lovely chap, I would have him any day :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cheryl, the white robin does look rather nice and you can buy the seeds..and the Old Man did enjoy his day out.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  10. What a wonderful place to discover! Your swallow photos are super.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barbara, nice of you to leave a comment, really pleased with the Swallow photos as the adults never stay still long enough to get a photo..
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  11. It looks soooo beautiful, no wonder you fell in love with it. Swallow pics are great but my fave is the last shot of Old Man xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks CT, you would have loved the place, the little river at the side of the pond needs some more investigation as I could imagine there been Water Vole on here as it's such a nice spot...
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  12. Stunning - every picture just stunning.

    ...and as for 'old man' he is a lovely, what a picture of him.

    Do please have another walk there soon and share some more amazing pictures.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jan, glad you like the photos, fingers crossed I get there again this week..
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  13. Love the Swallow images Amanda, great background.
    Hope it stays nice for you to keep visiting the place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roy, I try to get a bird photo in for you and these turned out not to bad... right place right time. Will be interesting to see what other birds I find here..
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  14. Wow I can see why youy loved it so much. Just my kind of place too. The swallow photos were gorgeous. Glad you enjoyed my Brockholes visit - we'll definitely be back to explore more of the trails. It's probably not as big as it seems but it takes me hours to walk anywhere as I stop every couple of seconds to take photos! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie, we should be going to Brockholes on Saturday, so I will let you know how we got on.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  15. What a fantastic place. I love finding little treasures like this and feeling so complete being there. Looking forward to the next time xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chel, Need to go through Google maps as I might find some other places, but this will do for now.. Just need some nice weather now!
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  16. What a beautiful little oasis Amanda, I hope you enjoy exploring it further over the rest of the summer :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David, have been back again, still finding new paths and new things to photograph...
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  17. Hello Amanda, I am glad I found this post. What a beautiful spot. A lovely place to explore and to see the birds and the flowers. Beautiful images. Have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks eileeninmd, I am half days now for a few weeks so will have time to go exploring...
      Amanda xx

      Delete

Post a Comment