Sunday, 28 June 2015

A day out at Broockholes nature reserve....



A big thank you to Home Jules for blogging about this place, I loved it... and after reading her comments it looks like one or two of you have been here too..(Sarah)





The Lancashire Wildlife Trust has been working on developing Brockholes for nearly 20 years, it first opened it's doors in the summer of 2011. It has a range of habitats, reedbed,woodland, marsh and meadows. With a on-site shop and restaurant situated on a floating village.




The drive was a easy one straight down the A59, and the sun was shining, after parking up and stepping out I saw more Blue Butterflies in one minuet than I have seen in all my life ! and it was teaming with blue damselflies too. The first flower I spotted was Grass Vetching which I have not recorded before, OH said we had to leave the car park at some point and look round.
We walked round the visitors centre, then the meadow walk towards the river Ribble. Some how miss Deep Dark Wood where the Gruffalo lives, that Julie has posted about (see here) and walked along the river past the very impressive Giant Hogweed, another plant to put on my list.


Heron 







Blue Damselflies 






River Ribble




As I mentioned before there were more Blue Butterflies here than I've ever seen before, but those people in the know will know they do NOT stay still !! and I don't know if they are all the same Common Blue ? ( over to you CT and Roy ) please let me know.









After a pit stop of a very large ice cream and the chance to cool down, we did the walk the reserve walk which is about two miles taking in wood land at the far end, here we could get in the hides on the lake side, quiet away from the play areas and centre. There were only a few birds out on the water but we managed to see some more Butterflies on the way round.

Skipper


Five-spot Burnet
On this part of the walk the habitat changed to grasses , bramble and Bush Vetch which the Burnet moths were loving, most plants had two on.
The grasses looked stunning some over six foot tall, swaying in the breeze. The last part of the walk is through the bottom edge of Boilton Woods which was nice and cool after walking in the hot sun.










We had  a supper day and would recommend this place to visit young and old, there is something for everyone.



32 comments:

  1. Love the images of the blue butterflies Amanda.
    I find them very difficult to identify......they all looks the same to me, of course, it is in the detail of the markings.

    Wonderful place............
    I had a banded demoiselle rush through the garden yesterday..........so annoyed I did not have my camera with me :((

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cheryl, turns out they should all be Common Blue, but if there was a different on amongst them I would not have known.
      We did see some demoiselle down by the river, to fast for photos...but how lovely to have one visit the garden.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  2. Super looking place. One of my lecturers used to work for the Lancashire WT many moons ago.

    Your blues all look like Commons to me, and the Skip is a Large Skipper. Lovely to see the Burnet moths- still waiting on those here. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks CT for the ID, they are a quick butterfly so wonderful to see so many, and there was so many Burnet you would have loved it here...
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  3. Lovely photos... I've been here too, August 2013 I think it was, but I'd like to go back as I didn't have to fully explore the place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louise, did not see what they have recorded for this site, would be interesting to go later on in the year to see what birds they get coming in to over winter. In summer you can not be disappointed with the insect life, amazing amount.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  4. I'm so glad you loved it! The comments from OH about having to leave the car park was so funny as my daughter said exactly the same - like you I was so stunned by the sheer number of blue butterflies and damselflies. Stunning photos - you certainly had the weather for it. Shame you missed the Deep Dark Wood (I think it must be fairly new as it wasn't on any of the maps and there was just a scribbled note on the big map in the visitor centre). Looks like you'll have to come back :-) I can't wait now after seeing all your photos today. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie, it is a wonderful place, we did see the dark wood, I even took a photo of the entrance, but I saw the river and got excited and took of to see it, week walked down the side of the river and back up missing the wood. The walk round the lakes is lovely a must to do when you go back. It would be nice to stay in one spot and have a pick-nick watching what comes to you rather than walking round.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  5. Lovely post and photos Amanda, definitely one place now on my must visit before my knees are totally knackered list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely post and photos Amanda, definitely one place now on my must visit before my knees are totally knackered list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John, you will like it, no dogs though I'm afraid...
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  7. Beautiful butterfly photos, there so difficult to photograph (so much faster than my button pressing finger). It really is a lovely place to visit, something for everyone!! So glad you enjoyed yourself. Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah, another time could be just spent just sat in the car park and wait for the butterflies to come to me! it would be interesting to go back in winter as well...
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  8. Super photos Amanda. I only recently heard about Brockholes despite driving past it many a time on my way to and from the Lake District. I hope to visit the place soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ian, the whole family would enjoy it, you must stop of next time you pass...
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  9. Hoping that burnets will be about in Newark soon, on the scabious in Beacon Hill Nature reserve. Sadly, no floating cafe there though, although Attenborough has one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon, been up on the meadow fields at the back of my house to day and no burnets here as well, good place to spot them...this warm weather should bring them out.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  10. Wow! What a gorgeous place with so much wildlife. When I'm across that way I will have to have a visit xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chel, these places are so nice to visit, thank goodness for all the wildlife trust's hard work.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  11. The flutters are all so beautiful aren't they!!! Wonderful to see so many great things! Glad you had a great time. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy, don'y think we have seen so many butterflies in one place.. very special.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  12. These are incredible photos- HOW fluffy are the blue butterflies!? I've never seen a common blue, only Holly blues! I would love to visit this place, you saw so much!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kezzie, you would love it here, grand day out...
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  13. Amanda - lovely photo's. I love the Ribble Valley area but have not visited Brockholes ... I must.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jan, this place just shows what can be done with land that was once a quarry and right next to a buzzy motorway, much better than a load of houses...
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  14. Those skies are amazing. You had a good day for your visit to Brockholes with such a lot to see in the different habitats. The visitor village jutting out into the lake looks attractive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda, the floating village is such a good idea, you can sit and watch the birds on the lake..
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  15. A beautiful and interesting looking reserve Amanda. Love all the butterfly and wildflower pics :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David, you would like this place...
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  16. Looks like a great day out - love that floating restaurant and visitor centre! Wonderful to see all the blue butterflies, and the other fluttery things! xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Slowly catching up on blogs!! :) Looks a great reserve Amanda with your usual lovely photos. Its such a lovely experience when you visit a reserve that is teeming with butterflies :) The butterfly shots are great - I am struggling more than ever this year to get photos (they just never stay still!!).

    ReplyDelete