Saturday, 2 May 2015

Taking part..

From the people at The Wildlife Trusts they are running "do something wild in June"

I have singed up..take a look... it would be fun if a few of us did it together.

This June, can you do something wild every day for a month?

Make room for nature this June - no matter where you are or how busy your life! Make this the month when you do something wild every day – and let us motivate you! When you sign up to our challenge, we’ll send you a pack full of encouragement, ideas and Random Acts of Wildness. You’ll also receive a funky wallchart to track your progress, a wild badge, and regular blasts of inspiration throughout June straight to your inbox to help you
make nature part of your life.



The last few day's I have been on the hunt for wild flowers growing in the park, I was inspired by Countryside Tales post on Botany of a lane .
The weather has been so cold and the lack of Butterflies and insects got me wondering how the plants were doing up North.

On this post I'm looking at WHITE flowers.

The Cuckoo flower has sprung up over the past week, last year I recorded three different kinds at the park. 



White Honesty




 Honesty is a plant best known for its seed cases rather than its flowers. Each case is flat, translucent, round and papery. With successful pollination, every flower will make a separate moon and there are several orbiting each stem.








The Latin name lunaria means "moon-shaped" and refers to the shape and appearance of the seedpods.












They are growing under the Pine and Larch trees I am following on my blog












Allium ursinum – known as ramsons, buckrams, wild garlic, broad-leaved garlic, wood garlic, bear leek or bear's garlic 

 Wild garlic is easily identifiable, forming lush green carpets in woodlands close to bluebells, and emitting a distinctive garlicky smell.


Still waiting for a warmer day is the flower of  Cow Parsley,Cow Parsley is a hollow-stemmed, tall plant that grows rapidly in the summer before dying back. It likes shady habitats in particular, and can be found decorating woodland edges, roadside verges and hedgerows with masses of frothy, white flowers. These flower umbels (umbrella-like clusters) appear from May until June.






 Hedge Garlic

 Plants are often found growing along the margins of hedges, giving rise to the old British folk name of Jack-by-the-hedge. Other common names include Garlic Mustard, Garlic Root, Hedge Garlic, Sauce-alone, Jack-in-the-bush, Penny Hedge and Poor Man's Mustard. 


The humble yet cheerfully attractive daisy is familiar to most as a 'weed' of lawns and a feature of many children's games.

 In my garden I have White, Pink and Blue, Bluebells.

They are very pretty.

I will leave you with a splash of colour.


Happy Hunting

Amanda xx

16 comments:

  1. Lovely photos. I've also signed up for 30 days wild. Shouldn't be too hard as I do kind of live like that anyway, but I'm really looking forward to receiving the pack and getting lots of inspiration and ideas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louise, could be lots of fun...
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  2. Love the colourful finale :)

    I have wild garlic and jack by the hedge in the garden. The young leaves are lovely chopped in salad.

    I am going to check out 30 days wild now.................

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've signed up.....I will be going wild. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cheryl, looking forward to seeing what trouble I mean fun we get up to.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  4. Love the thought of random acts of wildness - I will definitely be checking this out. Beautiful photos of all the flowers that you have found.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely post Amanda and a wonderful selection of flowers found in your park. Looks a great place to walk and take photos :) I'll check out the link - sounds like fun and a good idea by the Wildlife Trusts. Am sure I'll be signing up too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely post with lots of beautiful flowers in. It is amazing what's out there when you stop and look. Will check out the 30 days wild... xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful flowers down your way as well

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've always thought your cuckoo flower was mayflowers, I had a look on the RHS site and it has lots of names!! I've signed up to go wild, I'm looking forward to getting my chart and ideas of things to do. I'm hoping it will encourage me and the children to get outdoors. Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great idea! I find wild things every day. At this moment in my life I can't commit to posting about them every day, but I will visit your blog to find out what you highlight. Beautiful photos, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like that, Random Acts of Wildness! Your photos are fab, as always.
    Jacqui x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for telling us about the wild things project. I'm going to sign up though I don't know if I'll be able to do or post every day - will have a jolly good go though! x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you all for the kind comments and looking forward to June, I know about it as much as you and look forward to getting my pack for "Random Acts of wildness" from the The Wildlife Trust. I'm thinking I will do a round up of the week in one post on a Sunday... Will decide when the pack comes.
    Amanda xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful artistic images.
    You are just too good Amanda.! {:))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roy, very kind words, stopped raining for five minuets... feel the urge to go out with my camera :)
      Amanda xx

      Delete