Wednesday, 13 May 2015

From Bees in the wall to Spiders hatching and new birds on list.




To day we are starting of with these lovely flowers. they are Cuckoo flowers but double headed, there is a little patch of them growing amongst the normal flowers next to the road side just befoe you get into the park. I discovered them by chance last year. 

Another flower we had thought was some kind of cuckoo flower has now been identified, it is a 

Large Bitter-Cress (Cardamine amara)



growing in the boggy part of the park, it is quite at home with it's roots in water.


While here managed to get up close and personal to a small hover fly, in the end it climbed onto the lens of my camera and when for a walk.


Last night as my husband went into the shed he was greeted with loads of tint spiders, all attached to strands of web, the wind was blowing them around, they must have just hatched.


Inside the shed they were every were.


At first we thought this was the parent, but it is the shedded  skin of a older spider.


Spider shedding skin. Spiders have no inner skeleton, in order to grow they must shed their rigid external skin. During the moulting process the spider is in great danger from predators, as the soft body means it cannot move.



15/5/15 UPDATE

We have been looking at the young spiders and one or two of you have commented, we now think the young spiders are actually Garden Spider young and not from the two spiders in the next photo, they are house spiders.



This wasp met it's match too.


My son asked me this morning if we could burn the shed to the ground, after he saw the photos, not a fan .

For weeks I have been trying to get a photo of a pair of Linnets at work, think I started this tail on my last post about enjoying the small stuff, I had seen them on the chevin but the photo had turned out really bad, so forgot about them. Anyway to day my patients paid of, there is a male and female visiting .


The female was feeding along side the jet fuel tankers on the other side of the fence, her mate was on watch out duties. Beautiful colour.


Having to make the most of the weather as we only seem to be getting one good day at a time I headed up the Chevin again after work, this time to the other end from were I was on Friday. There is a pond as well as a wild flower meadow which has Orchids in, the leaves were just stating to show. 

Here are some photos of what I saw to day.

Billy's button (Geum rivale)
Buttercup 

Tadpole's in pond 

Common White throat, another bird for my list.


Willow warbler 
St Marks fly

Then when I got home, a notice small insects flying round near the front door, 
turns out to be Red Mason Bees (Osmia bicornis) we think after putting them on iSpot. 

They have found a crack in the wall, have to read a little more about these bees, I think they will be staying for now as they are so small which made it hard to get a good photo and they were not to happy having the camera too close to their home.




Hope you enjoyed you day out with me.

HAPPY HUNTING
AMANDA xxx

28 comments:

  1. Super Whitethroat images Amanda.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roy, did hope you would like those photos..
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  2. Such a beautiful day! Gosh, that's a ton of spiders. Mom and dad look like "Fishing Spiders": <a href="http://voices.nationalgeographic.com/2014/08/26/whats-a-fishing-spider-behind-the-arachnid-trending-on-facebook/>Article about Fishing Spiders</a>. All your photos are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks PP, it does look like a fishing spider but I think it is just a large garden/house spider, great video to watch them fishing thanks..
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  3. Looks like you had an interesting day Amanda - great photos of the Whitethroat. Spider pictures are interesting - a great event to witness :) ps my son hates them too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks RR, really happy with the photos of the Whitethroat, some days it just all comes together.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  4. Oh wow love the spiders......what a fabulous thing to witness. Had some on our hose reel one year, just so amazing.
    Spiders can nip but that is all............

    Mason bees are passive and can make their homes in walls. It looks like a mason bee to me..................

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cheryl, don't mind spiders, but no getting close enough to find out if they nip :) have been reading up on the Mason bees quite interesting, they will be staying.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  5. Lots of lovely things in this post (apart from the spiders. I have seen those tiny yellow/ black ones before and can't remember what they are called). Well done on the White-throat, I saw one in the hedge yesterday. You've captured it perfectly. And I love your Linnet and bees xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks CT, been having a look the young are from a garden spider as it turns out, the black marking makes them quite easy to ID. I love how the Whitethroat will perch on the top of trees and sing their hearts out..
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  6. Super post, so many wonderful photos and nicely put together as usual. Tadpoles too, cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ian , thought of you when I saw the tadpoles, will go back and watch these grow too.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  7. Yet more superb photos & nature observations Amanda, though I have to say I am not a great fan of spiders and especially House Spiders (our East Yorkshire ones can be MASSIVE). I am not sure the spiderlings are House Spiders though (like the two big ones) and look more like Garden Spiders, though I wouldn't take my word for it.

    I had never heard of that name for Water Avens before but I did a quick check online and I see it is an old Dales/Pennine name for them. I love learning new things like this so thanks for that!

    Lots of St. Mark's flies on the wing over here too (loads of them at Bempton yesterday) and great pics of the Whitethroat :-)

    All the best and kindest regards to all :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David, I had a look and I think you are right the young are garden spiders, the black marking on the back is a good key to I.D them, I need to look now if the house spider would eat the young of another spider ?
      When I was growing up we would call Water Avens, Solder's buttons, similar to the other name for them Billy's button, other names include nodding avens, drooping avens, cure-all, water flower and indian chocolate.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  8. Loads of goodies! Love those baby spiders but less keen on huge house spiders! The bird photos are fab and I'm glad you got your pictures of the linnets. The whitethroat photos are amazing. Looks and sounds like you are having fun so happy hunting back to you. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mandy, a bit of sunshine makes all the difference, not just for the wildlife...
      Amanda xx

      Delete
    2. Hubby told me about an egg sac with loads of baby spiders on one of our water butts - they look like the same as yours! If you find out what they are, please let me know. :-)

      Delete
    3. Oops sorry didn't see your discussion above, yes they do look like garden spiders! A new find for me.

      Delete
    4. Think they are garden spider young Mandy, have put a up date next to photos on blog with a link to garden spiders, this is the right time for them to hatch.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  9. The baby spiders are just lovely - I've been hunting round here since, to see if I can find any!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer, this is a good time to find garden spiders hatching if you can find them..
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  10. Fantastic photos as always!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What absolutely AMAZING photo's ... every one of them a joy to look at.

    'Blog-land' is so rewarding ... I love it, and the lovely people you get to know.

    The Cuckoo flower is super.

    Have a good weekend

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jan for the kind comments, we will have you looking for spiders and flowers before you know it...
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  12. Amazing photos of the whitethroat. Could have done without the spiders though - me and my daughter are with your son on that one! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie, big house spider still in shed, funny how we have not used it much this week..
      Amanda xx

      Delete
    2. Yes, your Spider photos are incredible. I have never seen spiderlings in such detail. We also have Mason Bees in our brick wall ... lovely to watch, not so good for the bricks! We saw our first 2015 tadpoles this last w/e at the Norfolk Bird fair (there was a stream in the grounds). It seems AGES since we saw frogspawn in Suffolk - months ago. Thank you, Amanda, for another lovely and varied post ... and for your comment on my Adder pics!

      Delete