Enjoy the small stuff..



The past few week I have been taking my camera to work with me to try and get a shot of the two Linnets that visit the gravel path out side college, they have managed to get spooked and fly of before the camera has even come out of the bag.

To day the morning was sunny and warm, so after work headed straight up to the  Chevin, above Otley, most of you will know I visit this area quite a lot.

Insects were making good use of the fresh flowering Bilberry.


Many birds were singing away, including Chiffchaff and Willow warbler, not sure which one this is, as it is easier to I.D if singing.  






Loving seeing all the Dandelions out big pans of yellow and just as important for insects as any other flower, and they look just as lovely when in seed.

Hover fly hovering up the pollen 
This year I think gorse or common gorse (Ulex europaeus) has flowered extremely well this year, the yellow flowers brighten up the hills and moors.

Great for insects and birds like this Meadow pipit, they love to stand on top of the branches and sing.


Next spotted amongst the heather and grass, was a Long horn moth ( Adela reaumurella)

They have wonderful long antennae, with bronzy or metallic greenish forewings,



That afternoon before the weather turned bad a quick trip to the park.


found a few Harlequin ladybirds to day


and one tiny cream spot ladybird in the top of a nettle.

 On the same plant I noticed this insect, at first a thought it was a larvae of the ladybird, but on close inspection, its some thing that has lost it's head I think...

what do you think it is ?



A rather large wasp was found in the bramble, not getting to close to this one.


It was very nice to see some insects for a change, very low on butterflies at the moment though.

I will leave you with a Dandelion photo as I think they are looking rather nice.




Comments

  1. What a fantastic moth that is, I don't think I've ever seen one of those before! Lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louise, the long horn is a micro moth, you will have them round you, very small though. If you see anything small and black flying have look..
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  2. Wonderful photos, Amanda! I love dandelions and that last shot was pure sunshine brightening up my rainy day! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fundy Blue, loving the Dandelions at the moment, thinking of giving them a post all of their own.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  3. Beautiful photos Amanda. The wasp looked as though it could have flown out of my screen! The gorze and dandelions are bringing some beautiful yellows onto the landscape in abundance. Have a wonderful weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cel, not to keen on wasps but have come to like Bees a little more, loving the bright yellow flowers too..
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  4. Fabulous photos Amanda, great post. I always wondered what that yellow flowered plant was, now I know. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ian, thinking you mean the gorse and not the Dandelion :), it's having a good year this year. A few years back it got a fungi or something and a lot died off or didn't flower, so nice to see it is doing OK.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
    2. Yeah it was the gorse. I've seen it for years but didn't know what it was lol.

      Delete
  5. I am not familiar with the moth.......most unusual. We get a lot of different moths here, but I do not think I have seen a long horn moth.

    They are all great images but I love the last one :) So pleased you mentioned how important Dandelions are for insects....along with all wildflowers. I have a patch of dandelions and bugle growing beneath a tree in the garden, it is full of insects......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cheryl, the moth is quite tiny, like most things once you have seen one you will see them again, we have them at the park and found they like to dance around in the sunlight, it's not till you get close you can see their long antennae.
      Going to do a post on Dandelions so look out for that..
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  6. Looking at your little bird. Is it dark legs for a willow warbler, pale legs for a chiff chaff? Can't remember!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon, people who have a good eye can usually tall them apart this way, but they have to be singing for me, can depend on the light when taking the photo as well, lets go with small brown bird for now...
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  7. terrific last dandelion shot ... so nice with the out of focus background

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hollis, making the most of my new camera, this one has a flip out screen , which I have not had before. You get to look at the world a different way using it, rather than the view finder...
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  8. Gorgeous photos. The moth is amazing and I love the last shot with the dandelion. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie glad you like the photos , was having a good day to day and it all worked well with the photos I wanted to take.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  9. Lots of lovely photos and glad you found some bugs. Not sure what the unknown thing is - something beetley? I've never seen a moth like that before and also can only be sure of chiffchaffs when they sing! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mandy, nice change to see some bugs, and the long horn is a wonderful one to spot...
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  10. Your pictures are amazing, such wonderful photography!!! The moth is amazing isn't it, and I liked the close up of the dandelion, not something I ever thought to take a picture of, but now I am thinking differently! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy, have just done a post on the Dandelion so take a look, sometimes we over look what's right at our feet.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  11. A great collection of pics Amanda, I can almost smell the coconut-like scent of the gorse when I look at the photos :-)

    Kindest regards :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David, I really must remember to smell the gorse, I don't remember it smelling..
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  12. Great selection of photos Amanda. Love the Long-horn moth :) Looks a really beautiful place to walk and spot wildlife :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks RR, this end of the Chevin is a littler quieter than the main spot, so good for the wild life, one of the fields is a wild life meadow which looks stunning in the summer..
      Amanda xx

      Delete

Post a Comment