" Lets catch a train to Morecambe "



The Idea started last year, then tickets were bought and on Thursday we went to 

Morecambe
It was going to be a birthday treat from last month, a prezi from my friend and best of all she was coming with me.
When we were children we would often go to Morecambe for the day, and it holds lots of fond memories for me. It's had it's ups and downs but I think it is looking rather good at the moment.
My friend's one wish was to look inside the Midland Hotel.


The hotel is designed in the Streamline Modern style of Art Deco.
We sat and had coffee in the main reception, very grand.

The day was warm and sunny but with a low lying haze across the sea.
Looking back to the hotel from the Stone Jetty.


The Stone Jetty contains several sculptures, riddles etc. set into the ground, mainly around the theme of bird life found in Morecambe Bay. 


Boat stranded on the sand.


and one still out on the water.



A few sea birds were milling around in the mud, Herring Gull, Curlew, Turnstone and even Starlings were feeding on the seaweed. 

Walking along the sea front, I notice this little flower, ranging in colour from white to lilac.


It was growing out of the sand that had built up round the railings, turns out to be
Danish Scurvygrass (Cochlearia danica)
I have not recorded this plant before, Danish Scurvygrass has moved inland along roads where salt has cleared vegetation on the verges, the plant that has moved into more areas on the map than any other in the past half-century. A interesting link and worth a read. 


You can not go to Morecambe and not visit Eric Morecambe.


Unveiled by the Queen in 1999, the slightly larger than life-sized statue depicts Eric Morecambe in one of his characteristic poses with a pair of binoculars around his neck (he was a keen ornithologist). The statue is set against the stunning backdrop of Morecambe Bay and the Lake District hills, and people queue to have their photo taken alongside it. The statue and the arena below it are equally sensational at night, with superb lighting effects bathing the area. (link)

A set of fat lovely bronze sculptures , quite a lot of the sculptures are not named and finding it hard to find any information on them. This set would look wonderful in my garden.

I did find some real birds a young Herring gull.


There are many amazing buildings to see but my favourite has to be 
Morecambe and Heysham Yacht Club Race Office


This small building, elevated above the promenade to provide a better view across the bay, is owned and used by Morecambe and Heysham yacht Club.



There is a lovely tribute to 2004 Morecambe Bay cockling disaster.


"The Bay of words" by Laverne can be read here.



                                                         

The beach was filled with children paddling, 


flying kites and just having fun in the sand..
                              
                                                                                        We had a lovely day....




Thank you Mrs C....

Happy Hunting.

AMANDA XX


Comments

  1. Nice photos, looks like you picked a good day to visit Morecambe too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ian, we had the best of days...
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  2. We had many a trip to Morecambe as children, back then the town seamed to bustle and the prom was almost forgotten. Now the town seems quiet but the prom is lovely. The Midland hotel is beautiful, but with two children in tow we haven't called in for tea!! Great photos, make me want to visit!! Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah, we loved it, very clean and it's good for families, they seem to be putting some more money into it, I hope to visit again this year as I would like to ride a bike down the whole length of the Pier...
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you had a lovely time - I have never been - but you're tempting me with all those sculptures. Love the plump birds, and I think I would need a whole day just to look at the carvings in wall - they're stunning! Love your photos of the great open beaches and distant buildings too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer, I was thinking of you when I photographed the plump birds, you would enjoy looking at all the sculptures, there are plenty more I did not photograph...
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  4. Lovely seeing Morecambe through your eyes. We visited a couple of years ago after not being there since I was a child. Like you I thought it was a shame there wasn't more information nearby about all the sculptures. I did find a leaflet online which explained more but it would have been good to know it at the time. I also loved the hut in the sky :) Thank you also for your lovely comments on my journal post - it meant a lot. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie, the weather helped to day, on a cold wet day it might not have the same appeal., place not to everyone's taste as it is not all flashy like some seaside towns, I love it, not like Blackpool..never want to go there again if you remember..
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  5. I can understand why you went to Morecambe with your friend to recapture some of those childhood memories of trips there. You've captured the essence of the place and I can see that you had a good time. That's a beautiful Art Deco building and the sculptures of the birds are interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda, there is more to discover, we just ran out of time, beautiful buildings and further up the coast very good for bird watching it's been on Autumn watch.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  6. Your photos are stunning. The last time I went to Morecambe it was a bit busier than your photos! We were watching a programme about the Falkland Isles last night and it mentioned scurvy grass it was the first time I had come across it and now you mention it here too, I love that kind of symmetry :). I wonder where it got its name from? I am off to check out your link to see if I can find out.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks sustainablemum, it was quit busy just go lucky with my photos, I do love to set and watch people, wish I was better at taking images of people without them knowing.
      I was interesting about the scurvy grass as now I remember seeing it on the main road last year and just thought it was a garden escape, they had cut the grass, and I never got to I.D it. Out in the car yesterday I notice quite a lot on the main roads were they salt , so will be taking a closer look at this plant.Find it very interesting.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  7. What a wonderful day spent with an old friend. Full of fun and nostalgia.
    As always your photographs captivate me but none more than the building on stilts used by the yacht club.......fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chery, it's nice to go back some were you remember as a child and it still has that special feel to it. The Yacht club building is wonderful I took a lot of photos, I do like a good building...
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  8. Well, that building wipes out the art deco we have here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon, you are right it is a stunning building and so glad they saved it, very interesting to read about if you get the chance, we said it would be nice to spend the night in, then we saw the price of a room....!!!
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  9. It looks so beautiful through your lens and words. So pleased you had a great day out together. Old friends are special folk xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks CT, nothing better than a trip out with a good friend...
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  10. A beautiful post Amanda and so glad you had such a lovely day out with your friend :) Your images are wonderful so capturing the essence and atmosphere of Morecambe- I really like the yacht club building on stilts image :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks RR, the boat house is a stunning building..
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  11. I have never been to Morecombe so I found this post very interesting and loved your photos. I have heard of the Midland Hotel before it looks a stunning building. Thank you for taking us on this trip with you - so glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elaine, there are lots to see here as well as spending time on the beach, great place for a day out.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  12. Wow Amanda - some absolutely stunning images here. I've never been to Morecambe and now I don't have to! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Em, we had a lovely day....
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  13. What a lovely day out, Amanda, with the light, the sea, the sculpture, the gulls ...

    What a poignant memorial for those cocklers, too. I know Arnside but not sure if I've ever been to Morecambe.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment