Wednesday, 8 April 2015

I'm following a tree,




Thanks to Loose and Leafy

Tree Following April


Walking past my tree, most people would either think it was dead or  just not growing, sitting amongst the green Pine trees heightens it's sorry looking state.

But if they look the time to get close they would see things are starting to grow, from it pale branches. The flower and its new leaves, it is said the leaves on  any of the Larch trees looks like a sea anemone, which is kinda sweet...

Last month I looked at a few of the Larch trees in the park and have decided to follow two of them.
 (see last months post here)

Larch and Japanese larch

I say Larch but this tree could easily be  hybrid, but for now we are just saying this is a Larch tree.




This tree is a Japanese Larch

This one is situated not far from the other tree but is in the land between the two parks.

You can see the difference in the flower's and their cones
The Japanese cones fan out, where as the Larch cone is much tighter and more egged shaped.



You can see the difference better when they are both together.


The flowers are a little different on the trees as well






Both  trees are a important tree for wild life, especially small birds, there are still seeds in the old cones to find to eat.

We've  had Blue tit, Coal tit, Goldfinch, Chaffinch and just this week first Chiffchaff has arrived back at the park.


As well as looking at the birds that visit the trees I will be looking at insects and the wild flowers living in the shadow of the tree.


In March I did find two Harlequin Ladybirds, but nothing since then.

The flowers are just starting to come through.

Dandelion
Speedwell 
And the lovely  Galium aparine or Cleavers.


Hope you enjoyed seing both trees, see if you can find a Larch tree and have a look at it's lovely flowers...

HAPPY 
HUNTING

AMANDA XXX

18 comments:

  1. Hopoefully this year I'll actually see a chiff chaff, they are so adept at throwing their voices

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon, been back to the park to day to try and get a better shot of the Chiffchaff, there are only a few at the moment, very high up in the trees...will not give up...
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  2. I've never had an opportunity to watch a larch through the seasons, and in fact have seen only a few in all. So I'm especially enjoying these photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hollis, it's the first time I have realised how quite different the two trees are. Look forward to following them throughout the year.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  3. Your photos, as always, are lovely. They have caused me to fall in love with the Larch tree--a tree I know very little about. Thanks for a wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks PP, nice to learn about a tree you might not know,I think trees miss out a bit compared to wild flowers and birds, I think we just get use to having them around and don't really "SEE" them.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  4. A lovely and interesting post Amanda - love the Larch cones and flowers and Speedwell is one of my favourite flowers :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks RR, I think it's going to be a nice tree to follow, the birds seem to like it.. Speedwell can be a bit tricky to ID as there are quite a few types.. pretty little flower though.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  5. What a fabulous tree post, Amanda. I followed a Larch some years back when I took part in The Tree Year meme - and loved watching the tree and the birds etc. that flocked to it. I seem to recall Great Spotted Woodies were prominent on my tree in Wales! Thank you for your kind comment of my TF post. I see what you mean about lime. Hard to Google as all the pics (nearly) show limes and lemons, LOL! I would be surprised, though, as this is in a modern garden, not much space ... and probably planted to be ornamental some 17 years ago. But lime it may prove to be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Caroline, it's one of the trees I check every time I go to the park as it's so good to spot the smaller birds, making use if the seeds in the old cones.
      Look forward to finding out what your tree is...
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  6. The flowers are beautiful on the larch, and as I said before, I know nothing about this tree so looking forward to seeing when it comes into leaf. Your bird pics are great, as are the wildflowers. :-) I don't get so excited about Cleavers though, as the blooming things absolutely swamp my woodland area in spring and makes everything look horrible! But at least the chickens like to eat it! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mandy, Cleavers are not the best plant, especially pulling all the seeds out of the dog ! but they do have a pritty little flower...
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  7. Wow! Such beautiful photos. I love how you've presented the cones. The colors and clarity and quite wonderful. Thank you so much for sharing your tree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Anna, I do enjoy taking my photos, so I'm glad you like them.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  8. I've been keeping an eye on the one in the woods here- also looks dead from a distance! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks CT, quite a few people will miss the lovely flower as they won't think to have a look...
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  9. I'm really enjoying your tree posts partiularly now I've found some nearby. Looking at the photos I took, I think mine must be a Japanese larch based on the cones though I'll have another good look next time I walk that way. You're really bringing trees to life for me. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie, I am really glad you have got interested in trees, once you start... you will start to notice other trees a little more, it's quite addictive.
      Amanda xx

      Delete