Lifting the lid on the light box...



Hawthorn Blossom
This week after doing my tree following post I got so many nice comments and one or two of you asked about how I take the close up photos.

Herb Robert 



Most  digital cameras have a close up mode, put your camera on setting on top dial and  press menu, then scroll through the options., usually shown with a image of two little flowers.

A light box is used to get Close-up photography of detailed objects requires good lighting, often used to sell small items on Ebay and Esty, it is used in photographing food as well as nature.


Eudonia mercurella is a species of moth of the family Crambidae.
Common Garden Snail 


Here is a link you might find helpful, on how to make a light box


Once you have got the  idea how it's made you can  fit it to your needs, I made mine much smaller as I mainly photograph small things.

Hawthorn Blossom 


This is how I made mine..





Pussy Willow and  Forsythia
Italian Alder catkins 


There you have it...

my table is next to the window, I just place it here during the day.



After taking my photos I will  often edit them , this can be done on your camera or in Google +.
I like to use PicMonkey, (warning it can be a little time consuming, but fun.)







I have just discovered this one on my camera,
you can highlight one colour.....

might not be to everybody's taste but the artist in me loves this ....


This one was taken at night with two lamps from the house placed at either side of the box so it shone through the tissue paper.
With good spotlight lamps and a wide shade this would look even brighter.




I hope this has helped a little bit...
before you go of to make your own light box I want you to take a look at

 JJ's blog.

if you have not seen his photos before, be prepared to be blown away...
his close up photography is stunning.

HAPPY HUNTING

AMANDA XXX





Comments

  1. Great post Amanda. Do you use a tripod when taking photos in the light box?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stewart, I don't use a tripod, as I like to move my camera around a lot , having said that the only one I have got is a mono.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  2. Cool idea, Amanda. Looks like it works really well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tim, it's a easy thing to do, with good light you can get a good photo..
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  3. A very interesting and informative post - thank you! I generally just crop my photos to get the piece that I want - and it makes the file size smaller for uploading - but don't do much else. I am trying to work on getting better pictures so perhaps this is the way to go! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy, give it a go, see what you think. It can be a little time consuming but the results are good.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  4. A great piece of info Amanda.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roy, think you would get some good results if you had a go.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  5. I love my light box. Great post Amanda, and fantastic images.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Annie, I would quite like a portable one I could take out with me, it would be handy for insects during the summer.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  6. Great post Amanda - I've never heard of the light box idea - but will make one and experiment. Thanks so much for all the information on making one. I must admit, apart from cropping, I don't really edit my photos but its something else I need to experiment with (oh to have more time!!! :) )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks RR, it would be good for the moth photos you take, if you can get them to stay still long enough. I do like experimenting with my photos but hours can pass without knowing, I have to limit my time on the computer as nothing would get done...I have a sign in the front room " A clean house is a sign of a broken computer" !!!!
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  7. Very interesting, I hadn't heard of a light box before! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mandy, it's nice to bring some information to be shared, you will have to give it a go .
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  8. What fabulous photos before, Amanda. I have seen my art tutor set up a lightbox, but I love the way you talk us through it and show the results! I am nominating you for a Very Inspiring Blogger Award here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you Caroline, that is so sweet of you to do this I am very chuffed....
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  9. Thanks for the post, amanda -- looks simpler than I imagined! I've gathered most of the materials, will get to work soon. I'm thinking of trying some "rock portraits" first :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hollis, I look forward to seing how you get on...
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  10. Thanks for the referral to JJ's blog. It's beautiful, as is yours! Great idea with the lightbox. Sometimes I use black fabric, and natural light from a window, too, which creates another dramatic effect. Great photography and explanations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks PP, JJ 's photos and knowledge is great, I will have a go with different colours when I get a chance.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  11. Aah, so that's how you do it! I'm going to try that as it might help get better photos of my crafty makes. I've only used a lightbox for tracing images and crafting - I use a laundry basket and lamp with a piece of perspex! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie, for craft and larger object I sometimes use white wallpaper pined to a shelf and drape it down.
      Amanda xx

      Delete

Post a Comment