Sunday, 29 March 2015

Four for Sunday in four places....


Yeadon Banks

I can't go for long before I need to get out with my camera, the weather has been pant's with high winds and rain. 
My bird of the week was to spot the returning Wheatear, 
The wheatear is a small mainly ground-dwelling bird. It hops or runs on the ground. It is blue-grey above with black wings and white below with an orange flush to the breast. (LINK)

There were only horses braving the wind in the field, did manage to scare a flock of Redwing off.


Nunroyd Park


The Grey Wagtail

The grey wagtail is more colourful than its name suggests with slate grey upper parts and distinctive lemon yellow under-tail. Its tail is noticeably longer than those of pied and yellow wagtails. They have gradually increased their range in the past 150 years and in the UK have expanded into the English lowlands from the northern and western uplands. They are badly affected by harsh winters, and because of recent moderate declines it is an Amber List species. (LINK)

This is a beautiful bird and should be called the Yellow Wagtail, I have seen a pair on the little stream that runs through the park many times but have been unable to get a photo. I was in luck to day as it was feeding on the muddy path away from the stream.


Rombald's Moor

I love this place it's high up and open, which means the wind is always windy...!








It is very lovely here in the summer when the Heather is in full colour,
A place for Grouse to hide.


Finding it hard to even stand up I made my way back to the car, found a little path that led so some sheep grazing in one of the fields.


I love sheep they are so cute...


I might have taken a few photos !
but they are so cute !


What's that I here you say "more sheep !"




Home -Garden

At home I had a nice surprise, a Sparrow Hawk landed on the garden  fence.


,Sparrowhawks are small birds of prey. They're adapted for hunting birds in confined spaces like dense woodland, so gardens are ideal hunting grounds for them. Adult male sparrowhawks have bluish-grey back and wings and orangey-brown bars on their chest and belly. Females and young birds have brown back and wings, and brown bars underneath. Sparrowhawks have bright yellow or orangey eyes, long, yellow legs and long talons. Females are larger than males, as with most birds of prey. (LINK)


bringing my bird count up to 61 for the year so far..

Happy Hunting

Amanda XXX

27 comments:

  1. Great photos as always. I spotted a sparrow hawk in our garden but it was way too quick for me, it looks like yours quite enjoyed having its photo taken. Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah, think this one knows I feed the birds, last year I had one in the garden most days, it took a Sparrow and ate in the garden probable to take back to it's own young.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  2. Phwoar! What a photo of the Sparrowhawk....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stewart, It was quite happy to sit there while I took some photos....
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  3. Lovely shots of the wagtail, it will struggle to keep its lovely yellow belly clean in that mud

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon, it was finding worms in the mud, it was nice to watch, beautiful colour.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  4. What lovely images--all of them! The moor looks hauntingly beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks PP, the moor always reminds me of my favourite film Wuthering heights by Emily Brontë.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  5. Good Morning Amanda,
    When we moved here, during the first month, I spied a grey wagtail in the garden by the pond. Fourteen years on, and I have never seen another here. They are, without doubt, beautiful birds. Lovely shots.

    Sparrow hawks are frequent visitors here......selecting blue tits mainly. We have an abundance of collared doves at the moment, and the female has started to take them. I am relieved as the numbers were getting a little to high.

    I love the images of the sheep.....I live in an area surrounded by fields of sheep.......I love them. People say they are dumb, far from in my experience. I know the local farmer well, he works seven days a week and has never taken a holiday. Such commitment.......

    Lovely post as always.

    Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cheryl, it was nice to get so close to the Grey wagtail, as usually they don't stay around for long. My mum's family are all farmer, fond memories of helping out with sheep dipping and lambing. If I had the space I would have a pet sheep called Betty.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  6. Your photo's are so crisp and clear - enjoyed your collection today. I mostly see the pied wagtails, the grey seem shyer, though I catch a glimpse of them occasionally on the beck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer, really pleased with this set of photos, what started out as a wet and very windy day I still managed to find some nice things to photograph.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  7. Great places!! Home is best of course though! Love your sheepie pictures! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy, very sweet sheep, and making the most of what's on my door step..
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  8. So glad you are going to 'count' Ladybirds as well as birds. The iSpot folk will be delighted with any sightings you can submit, Amanda. Those sheep faces ... ADORABLE! And great shots of the Sparrowhawk. Thank you for your kind comments on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Caroline, not Ladybird weather at the moment, and I need to find some Lambs to add to the sheep photos, you can get a book on sheep which I quite fancy..
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  9. Fabulous about the Sparrowhawk - Teddy flushed one out of the woods right in front of me last week, it had a blackbird in it's talons. Great pictures as always- love the sheep! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks CT, the Sparrowhawk, was right place right time, fallen in love with the sheep so there might be a few more popping up..
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  10. Love the horsey photos and the sparrowhawk. Those sheep have so much personality! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie, some days just work, and to day I was pleased with all my photos. Glad you liked the sheep.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  11. A beautiful collection of photos! I've never managed to take a photograph our 'our' sparrowhawk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louise, I think Sparrowhawk do get to know were the food is, so we have them visit quite regular. I was just very lucky to day it decided to sit on the fence.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  12. Beautiful photos as always Amanda - love the wet and windy horses and the sheep are exceedingly cute :) Wagtail photos are brilliant and love the Sparrowhawk. Have never got anywhere near close enough to ours to get even a half decent photo!.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks RR, it was the best I've ever managed with the Wagtail and the Sparrowhawk, might never happen again for months or years.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  13. Nice of that sparrowhawk to pose for you! Great pics of the wagtail as well. The sheep are cute so don't blame you for taking 'a few' photos! :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mandy, how you doing, are you back home...
      Glad you like the photos, it's a case of getting out between the showers, the wind has been so strong and it's cold... not insect weather yet..
      Amanda xx

      Delete
    2. Yeah I've been home for weeks, the last mini surgery was only for half a day. But I've got complications with healing so been set back and in pain, so not taken photos as can't sit at computer to do anything with them anyway. I'll do an update sometime but not been in the mood. Might try taking some photos and see if I can deal with them using my slow netbook, though I'll probably just get even more frustrated, lol!

      Delete