Birds of the week... Lapwing, Snipe and a cute Skylark..

Above the town of Otley in West Yorkshire there is a place called the Chevin, one of the highest points in our area surrounded by farmers fields.
At one spot is a area were in past years I have managed to see Redpoll and flocks of  Meadow pipits.
But to day there was nothing much about apart from a few brave Goldfinch swaying in the strong winds high up in the trees.


It was so cold and windy and the land was drenched in mud and water.
I drove down the main road to the car park , near the rocks on the top of the Chevin.


There is a field that runs along the side of the car park to the road, Lapwings will nest here and Skylarks will sing. A bit later on if we are lucky you can get the odd Weatear.


Leaning up against the wall for support against the wind I managed to watch and photograph Lapwings.


It got to the point were I could not see due to my eyes watering and I had lost the ability to feel my hands, so I retreated back to the car to get warm.
Did some one say it was going to be warm this weekend ?


I watched over the field when I saw a small bird moving through the grass.



Can you see it ?
Snipe 
I have only ever seen one before,  I was very happy..... 
 so standing in the cold wind had turned not to bad.
 (When I was going through the photos Iv'e  just noticed there were two)


Sunday before the rain I went to the old sewage works in Esholt woods.
Heard my first Chiffchaff and there was Goldcrest, Treecreepers ,Nuthatches about.
Hiding in the wood on the edge of a small pond was this Heron.


and as the rain fell I spotted the orange/brown coat of  Kestrel , there turned out to be a pair.

Male

Female



Wanting a better photo of the Snipe, I packed my camera and went straight after finishing my morning shift at work.
The day was much better than Saturday with lighter winds.


I was not disappointed as I counted eight birds to day.




Still not quite happy with the shot, will be going back to take some more.
I was all so lucky enough to catch a Skylark feeding.






Comments

  1. You've got great pictures of snipe at work there, probing the soil with their beaks.

    Up on Ilkley Moor, there are a lot of meadow pipits, they erupt out of the ferns, make a couple of tweets, then sink back into the greenery again

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon it was fun watching them pull worms out with that long beak....
      Amanda xxx

      Delete
  2. Wow - you've done so well to get those Snipe. All I've ever managed is a blurry silhouette disappearing into the distance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Em, it was handy having the wall there from the car park to hide behind, it's a good field for birds, it will be intresting to se if any nest here..
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  3. Well done on the Snipe shots - its not easy to get close enough to get photos. I really like the Lapwing head and shoulder pictures too :) Looks like two more great places to go birding.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks RR, think the birds are a little more use to people been next to the car park, it can get quite busy when it's sunny. Nice to get close to the Lapwings as well as they usually fly off...
    Amanda xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great day - fantastic photos! I've only ever heard one snipe (couldn't spot it!) so I'm pretty jealous of all your snipe photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louise, Snipe very hard to spot, great camouflage and low to the ground. I was just lucky to spot them.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  6. Lovely shots of all your beautiful birds! And that sky! Marvelous. Thanks for braving the cold to share your lovely scenes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks PP, I enjoyed it really, even though it was cold.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, how fantastic!!!!! So many amazing birds!!! Great photos. Thank you for taking us along!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy, glad you like my photos..I'm so happy with this new camera.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  9. Impressed! Especially the snipe photos! :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mandy, last year I didn't do much bird watching, but really enjoying it at the moment, new camera helping :)
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  10. Cracking pictures, hun. Great job xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks CT, lovely bird to photograph......
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  11. What special pictures - I've never seen so many Snipe - what beautiful birds, and the Lapwing too. One year, in the middle of winter, a really bad winter when everything was frozen solid for weeks, I had a Snipe visit the little beck at my workshop. It came each evening at dusk, proddling in the beck - I watched it until I couldn't see anymore in the dark. I think it was so hungry it didn't care I was there.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Jennifer, that's a lovely story, there is something special about them. I watched them for awhile slurping up worms.
    Amanda xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Brilliant images Amanda. Those Snipe especially takes some catching on camera and the Lapwing are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roy, it was handy having the wall there to hide behind....
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  14. A superb post, Amanda - and thank you for your comment on my butterfly. Butterflies you may not have seen yet, but what a lot else! Love the Kestrels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Caroline, it was nice to see a pair of Kestrals...
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  15. Wonderful pictures - well worth getting out and about for. Many I have never seen before, so a treat to see them here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angie, glad you like the photos of the birds, if the weather lifts I'm hoping to go back and keep a eye on the Snipe, I'm hoping they will nest in this field....
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  16. Really enjoyed the photos. I've not had much opportunity to get out and about lately and have missed nature spotting so it's great to do it via your posts. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie, hope you are well and have just been busy, trying to capture things I have not seen before, new camera helping to get better shots. Glad you like the photos.
      Amanda xx

      Delete

Post a Comment