Monday, 23 March 2015

Beadnell to Seahouses..day two (part one)




Day two was the day of the eclipse, 
we hadn't taken any thing to watch it happen, so with a clear sky apart from a few clouds all I got was photos of a sunny sky...


To day we planed to walk along the beach from Beadnell to Seahouses and back again.


This is the way down to the beach off the road, this photo is a reminder of past family holidays as we have spent many a happy day here, in the family we call this beach "The smelly beach", due to the amount of seaweed that can get washed up. This is good for the sea birds as it's full of insects to eat.

The sea was on it's way out leaving ridges in the sand.


Limpets and Bladder Wrack (Fucus vesiculosus)



                  Coral weed and Wire weed                                 Beadlet anemone      
             

                  Whelk     
Identification Guide for Selected Seashore Species
Shell pages


Oystercatchers and Bar-Tailed Godwit (Limosa lapponica) we think.



We sat for a while looking back across the beach towards Beadnell, the warm sun had brought the flies out amongst the sea weed.
Pied Wagtail (Motacilla alba subsp. yarrellii) and Rock Pipit (Anthus petrosus)
were having a lovely time feeding.






We were now on the edge of Seahouses , much more rocky and higher cliffs.

The lower rock was a beautiful blue showing lines and shapes.





It's still a bit to early on in the season to look for wild flowers, but the edges of the cliffs were covered in Sedum


I will leave you with this last photo for today.



Hands up if you want to run along here and jump into the sea.


coming soon day two part two

I took over 300 photos in the past two days, finding it a little hard to narrow it down !
I love taking photos....

HAPPY HUNTING

AMANDA XXX

23 comments:

  1. I laughed at your run and jump in the sea bit Amanda, you would soon jump out again its baltic at this time of year ;) The bottom Rock Pipit is of the Scandinavian race 'littoralis'. It has more defined streaks below and a bluey grey cast on a pinkish background. British birds 'petrosus' are duller and more olivey in tone, top pic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unless its just the lighting on one bird! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stewart, there were quite a few Pipits about, these are two different birds, the second photo has been touched up a little as it was a pale photo. I will have another look at my photos, even in the bird books I have , can show the same bird looking a little different. My first thought was a Meadow pipit as its legs look pale...
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  3. You made a wonderful job in your choice of pictures, I don't know what you left out of course, but these are all beautiful!!! Sorry that you didn't see the eclipse well - I didn't either - but it doesn't look as though you missed too much because you obviously had a really great time. I miss the sea!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy, there is a big pull towards the sea for all of us, especially when we live away from it. When we were kids we lived right next to a river, I so miss that now...
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  4. I know that editing problem! The perils of digital photography I guess. Absolutely love this post. I haven't been in Seahouses since 1997 so it was really lovely walking with you. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Em, I do spend far to long with my photos, I was just thinking to day I really must clean the house at some point this week. The town has not change much at all since your last visit and the beaches are still wonderful.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  5. Gorgeous photos and I can relate, as I frequently take that amount, then comes the sorting!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suzy, I have a book at the side of the computer, I write the photo number down, then cross it of when I have used the photo. This helps me during the summer months when I can be taking hundreds of photos a day as I like to record wild flowers, trees , birds and insects onto their own blog. This means I can keep a track of all my recordings.
      I have often wondered if I'm mad or do other people do this..!!
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  6. So many beautiful images Amanda - no wonder you had problems sorting out what to include. I love the photos of the rock layers :) Great post - I felt as though I was on the beach with you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks RR, the rock layers were beautiful, it's another area I would love to know and understand about..
      Amanda xx

      Delete
    2. Geology is absolutely fascinating Amanda - if you start going into it you will be completely hooked!!!! :) Just a quick message to say the Plantlife new Survey stuff has arrived today in a very big envelope!! I won't spoil the surprise by telling you all the contents BUT the new id guide looks good :)

      Delete
  7. Lots of great photos Amanda. Nice beach art as well.{:))
    As for jumping in the water at the end, I'll give that bit a miss at the moment.{:))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roy, it would be very refreshing :)
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  8. Fabulous images.....love the wagtail, such funny little birds.
    My hands up, I may be past my sell by date but I am game for anything......besides it looks so tempting :)

    Understand you love photography......me too, enjoy Amanda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cheryl, the photo dose make it look very tempting, give it a few more months and I would have been in there, even if it was only up to my ankle :)
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  9. Love the Blake quote--I try to live the philosophy. Every shot on this post is as stunning as the last. Yes, I do believe I would be tempted to run down that plank -- probably not to jump in the water, but just to experience the thrill. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks PP, I love a good quote, it would be a very cold thrill if we jumped in but well worth it...
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  10. I think I'll just stay dry and look at the lovely blue, thankyou. Isn't it fascinating to see all the striations in the sea/weather worn rocks - beautiful pics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer, some of the rocks were very beautiful, the colour variation and shapes, in't our world great..
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  11. Enjoying your trip so far! You got some excellent bird shots there. Love all the pebbles and shells too (I always come back from a beach with a little collection) and the rock strata is beautiful. Hope the fresh air blew away your cold! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mandy, hope your treatments going well and you don't feel to rough,
      Even when I go to the park I usually come back with some thing, stuck to bringing two shells of each type back, can't believe we have been back a week all ready. We chose the right days for the sunshine as it has snowed again here to day !
      Amanda xx

      Delete