Friday, 23 January 2015

Redwing hunting and colour found on a dull day..




With the aid of new wellies the park seemed less of a challenge to get round, the paths are ankle deep mud and waterlogged land can be quite deep in places, none of this strolling round in your shoes like at a normal park. Most of the time it is left to nature and the council have left wild areas, which is great for me.
Me and the dog set of in the cold, it was frozen hard, very cold right through to the bone, this was Wednesday the day before the snow,
the birds were staying high up in the trees making photography  a challenge as they all come out black against the grey sky.


when by chance I had walked a different way round the park and came across a large flock of Redwing, of all days I had not got my binoculars with me so not sure if there was any Fieldfare
 amongst them.
Hard to get a good photo of these birds as they are very skittish.

The redwing is most commonly encountered as a winter bird and is the UK's smallest true thrush. Its creamy strip above the eye and orange-red flank patches make it distinctive. They roam across the UK's countryside, feeding in fields and hedgerows, rarely visiting gardens, except in the coldest weather when snow covers the fields. Only a few pairs nest in the UK. (link)


Managed to count over 50 birds this is the largest flock I have seen at the park, 




They took of to the trees and then moved on to the football field in the next park. 

Here I found them feeding with Starlings, Green finch and Goldfinch.

They are at the other end of the football field, this is about the closes I could get without them all taking off.

By now I had lost all the feeling in my toes, even with two pairs of socks..Wellies are great but pants when it's cold....



We had snow all day on Wednesday, but went back to the park today without the dog, there was not as many Redwings, but came across a flock of 30+ Greenfinch another record for me. Sadly they too are skittish birds and the grey sky's resulted in no photo.

I did find some colour on this grey day.....


Lichen on a branch.


The Alder tree Catkins 


their wet cones shined..




On the pond we have two Tufted ducks on a visit and a beautiful white duck..
so want to take it home and have it as a pet... right out of  Beatrix Potter,
Jemima Puddle-Duck






the light was making pattern's on the pond water



Found my first Snowdrops 





Fungi and moss added to the colour on what was a dull day, but you had to look hard.
the white of the snow was now turning to mud.



Happy Hunting
Amanda xxx




22 comments:

  1. Your photos are lovely. You really are dedicated, when I'm out walking in this cold, I march round super quick. The thought of removing my gloves to take photos. . . . I am enjoying leaning on the radiator looking at the garden birds!! Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah, I did think the other day I would not have been out if it was not for the dog needing a walk, it was soooo cold. But then I would have missed seeing the Redwing. Doing the Big bird watch this weekend from inside :)

      Delete
  2. What beautiful images - aren't those lichens fascinating, and as you say, colourful - I'm inspired to go about and find some catkins too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer, been on your blog a few times, you have some lovely work, now on my blog roll.
      Lichens are amazing would love a macro camera to get a closer photo...
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  3. I have never managed to get a photo of Redwings or Field Fares they are lovely birds certainly you were very lucky to see such a large flock. Isn't walking in winter full of surprises.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elaine, one year when the winter was really bad we had both birds in the garden, but have not seen a Fieldfare now for a few years.The Redwings have been coming to the park now for a few years and will stay quite late on in the year but never this many.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  4. Fantastic shots of the Redwing, they are a bugger to photograph so you did really well. And that's an amazing number of Greenfinch- well done you xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks CT, really pleased with the Greenfinch number as they have not been doing to well of late, very noisy birds. We do get the odd one in the garden. Even people who are not interested in birds were stopping and looking at the Redwing as they could tell they were something different about them..not the normal birds you get at the the park, grate to see.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  5. Excited to have stumbled upon your site(s)! Our daughter visited England several years ago and brought back a book, "RSPB Birdfeeder Handbook". I've just now begun to read it. Love your bird/nature photos and info! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Juliet nice to have you pop by, we have the big garden bird watch run by the RSPB this weekend, just record the birds you see in your garden for one hour, you could do it too for your self, it would be very interesting to see what birds you get.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  6. Lovely post. No snow here, but endless grey skies, it really feels like winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Annie, the snow was nice for a time, making everything bright and white.But to day (Friday) most of it has gone and now it's just cold and wet :(
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  7. Not easy to get Redwing shots so well done - one of my favourite winter birds :) Love the lichen photos - its amazing what you can find when you look. Jemima is exceedingly cute - no wonder you want to take her home :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks RR had a look at the book and it could be my duck if I put a blue scarf on it...I love mosses and Lichens, but it makes my head hurt trying to I.D them, such a hard subject..will have to make do taking their photo.
      If the Redwing stay for some time they might get use to people a little better and hopefully I can get a little closer.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  8. Such incredibly beautiful pictures! The redwing is beautiful and I love the cones and the snowdrop as well. A beautiful walk to have enjoyed and so many wonderful things to see. Thank you for taking us along. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy, to days cold walk was worth wrapping up for...
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  9. I haven't seen any Redwings yet - often don't unless the weather is very cold. You got some lovely shots of them and plenty of other interesting things too. Love the ducks but don't envy your cold feet in all that mud! :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mandy, Redwings are one good thing to come out of the cold weather, a little fed up of been cold all the time though, and if I had the space I would have a few pet ducks as well as a sheep !
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  10. Great to see the Redwings Amanda. I think I have only seen one from a distance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roy, I thought Redwings would be about all over the country, nice birds if you get to see them as well as Fieldfare.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  11. Thank you, Amanda, for your kind comment. I could hardly believe that both Woodpeckers (Green and Great spotted) actually landed ... and could therefore be counted! What a lovely post about your Wellies and all those Redwing! Your Redwing pics are much better than mine. I'm still waiting, hoping to see a flock of Waxwings ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Caroline, a few years back we had a lot of Waxwings in the garden, over the fence there is a shed covered in one of the Cotoneaster plans so full of berries, they couldn't get enough of them...
      Amanda xx

      Delete