Birds and me.....



There has been a lot of chat about bird watching this week in Blog land, and January is the time most birdwatchers will start their new list for the year. Traditionally trying to spot as many birds on the first of Jan, also at the end of this month will be the Big Garden Bird Watch 2015 run by the RSPB.


Way back in 2009 was when I started birdwatching, during a holiday to Northumberland. We had gone to Seahouses for the day and in the harbour were some Eider ducks, they have the most wonderful call. 
I bought some binoculars, Collins pocket bird book and a bird watching magazine. I was hooked, I remember reading the magazine over and over even the adverts.


Back then I still had a film camera so was really happy when I got my first  digital camera, 
a   Nikon Coolpix p80, the very same one I'm using to day.

Bird watching can be very frustrating some times, long way off, the weather, trees and branches in the way and they don't stay still for long and after a while you get a little stuck on those little brown birds that look the same...so for the last few years I have taken up looking at wild flowers (which I love) insects and trees and just kept a casual eye on the birds.

(Male)
So as a little challenge for my self, I am going to see how many birds I can find over the next few month, while I wait for the flowers to come out. 
(started on the 1st Jan )

If you can bare with me as the first few posts will be full of bird, most of them you will know, and judging be the weather we have had over the past few days, some of the shots will not be my best.





The biggest challenge is going to be the weather, I've been out to day and non of the photos were good enough to use.!!!!!

I have a bird blog were I  record my findings it's really just for me to keep track of what I've found and my photos, needs a bit of up dating and some photos are missing but if you want a look you can find it here.




It would be nice if you want to join in with your own bird count, even if it's till the weather warms up a bit..

HAPPY HUNTING

AMANDA XXX


Comments

  1. Lovely Amanda. Did you count the Common Gulls in the Cormorant photo? There is one to the left of the Cormorant and a few others scattered in with the Black headed Gulls...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Stewaet, good spot... I often over look the common gull when they are mixed in with BHGulls, if the weather lifts I will try and get a photo..
    Amanda xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous photos!! I hope that you have fun with the birdwatch day and all year through too. Since the woodpecker I saw last week I have not seen a single bird in the garden, so I am not holding out much hope to spot much for the birdwatch day :( Oh well, I enjoyed seeing your pictures though! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy, we have had a very few birds in the garden over the last few days as well !!
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  4. Good luck to you Amanda in your bird count.
    I have a tendency to just photograph what comes a long and don't go too far out of my way to find birds.
    No stress involved then in having to find another one. Enough problems filling a blog as it is. {:))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roy, I need a project to keep me going till the weather picks up, looking for birds will get me out of the house visiting different places for a change, although the weather is not helping :(
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  5. I'm keeping a what I see out and about list as well as my garden one this year. Doing well so far. Are you counting what you hear as well? I'm having a dilemma as I regularly hear birds like Goldfinches and Bullfinches but don't often see them :o) Lovely photos as always :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks CT, with thist list I am hoping to have a photo for each bird I record, have seen many birds over the last few days but have not got a photo, on my " life" list I record birds I see even if I don't get a photo.Not recorded birds I've just heared , but that's just me.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  6. Good Luck Amanda with your bird list - your photos are lovely :) I do keep bird lists every year one for the Garden, one for Warwickshire and one that includes all the sightings regardless of where they were seen! Plus there is the Life Lists - once you start listing you never stop :) Weather grotty here too - have more or less given up with photography at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks RR, there's nothing like a good list, every year I get Siskin's in the garden, because of my list I have discovered they come about the same month every year, one year it was in the same week...I have a "life" but not all with a photo. Been out to day but got rained of again :(
    Amanda xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great idea to keep track. We have a North American Birds book, where I mark the ones that we've seen. I've always considered myself more of a plant-watcher, but when you watch for plants, you see many birds and other wildlife, too. Great photos, as always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks PP, it's all connected at the end of the day, love knowing a little about all aspects of nature. The weather is yet against me again to day, not rain but gale force winds ....
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  9. Look forward to your birdy posts Amanda....I am also a bird watcher. I have a journal full of sightings.
    Also do the RSPB bird count every year.
    Always great when you see something that is a first for you...........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cheryl, I've seen a lot of birds over the last few days but my plan was to have a photo of each one I have seen, the weather has been pants so it's been hard to get a photo. If the weather doesn't pick up I might have to start listing them and hope I get a photo later.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  10. Well that's a nice lot of birds you've seen and some interesting ones too! All I see here right now are the usual garden birds around the feeders, the most interesting of which is a Great Spotted Woodpecker who likes our peanuts! Great shots too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mandy, hope you are well, getting well fed up with the weather, hard to take photos in gales, rain and dark :(
      Amanda xx

      Delete

Post a Comment