Field notes from October


October has seen the return of the Robin to the garden, often singing quite late into the evening on hi/her favourite perch.. 
This Robin will come quite close and loves nothing more to follow you round the garden hoping you find him a worm..
There are plenty at the park too..


After my husband announced he had seen a Water Vole in the beck last week while out walking the dog, I have spent most of my time down there hopping I would spot it, as CT says it's a bit late on in the year for them to be out, but as it has been so warm I had my fingers crossed, but no luck. 


The beck is a lovely place to be as not many people come down here as it can get very muddy, during the summer it is so dark with the leaf canopy, but now they are falling it is one of my favourite places in the park.
This week I was lucky enough to spot the Kingfisher, a new bird for the park this year, not a great photo as some days have been very dull. But it will do for the records.


With the trees thining out I have been able to spot trees I might of other wise missed, to day was a new tree for me and the park.


It is from the Maple Tree family.... I have put it on iSpot and started yet another debate on ID one of my observations ! Trouble is I know they all mean well and all the fancy words they use (fancy to me) is one way of learning... but some times I could do with a simple answer..
(see what you think)

"Lime-leaved maple has leaves that do look very like lime leaves. (I saw it at Kew approaching 40 years ago, and with the samaras there wasn't much problem in identifying it.)
Mitchell has the following snakebark maples - davidii, crataegifolium, pennsylvanicum, rufinerve, hersii, capillipes and forrestii. Several of these have variable foliage which complicates identification. (The Wikipedia article sinks hersii in davidii.)
I think we can eliminate capillipes (Red Snakebark Maple), which has 8 to 10 pairs of leaf veins, and forrestii (Forrest's Maple), which has acuminate leaf-lobes. Details such as the leaf indumentum (both sides), size of samaras, colour of petiole, etc., would assist in identifying the species."




On Thursday we took a trip to Cheving Park which used to be  the West Riding Pauper Lunatic Asylum, now a large housing estate, but lost of green and wild land. It has always been a good spot for Mushrooms and Toadstools due to the damp area we live in. Having said that I don't think there is as many about just yet. Last year I did try to identify most Mushrooms but another subject that is very hard and me personally don't like to damage them to look at the gills underneath. This one must be a Ink cap

3/10/14
Thanks to Louise..... shaggy ink cap or to be posh 
Coprinus comatus (O.F. Müll.)





It was quite a misty damp day but I was also pleased to find another tree I have not seen before 
A Hornbeam.
What a lovely tree, if I had the space I would have one of these , with it's long falling seed pods.



Spiders webs, moss and lichen covering everything...




It's a big area to explore, to day was a quick visit..
I will leave you with some photos of a Dunnock, I'm of to Google 
 size of samaras !



Happy Hunting

Amanda XXX





Comments

  1. You're so lucky to have seen a kingfisher - that's definitely on my bucket list! I know what you mean about the debate as I'd just want to know the answer too. You'd love Tatton - all the trees have labels! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie, have been lucky enough to see a few Kingfishers round here, stunning bird. You are right I would have loved going to Tatton.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  2. I can tell you that samaras are the seed pods, but that's about all! That mushroom is a shaggy ink cap. Lovely collection of photos, as always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louise, Have been looking up all the fancy words to day and they could have explained it a little more simpler! and thanks for the propper name of the mushroom, fancy name Coprinus comatus (O.F. Müll.)...see I am learning :)
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  3. Wow! What a fab pic of that oozing, dripping fungi! Perfect for the end of a Halloween weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks .... have not seen one "dripping" like that before..
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  4. Oh, I agree--the Hornbeam is a lovely tree! You found some amazing fungi. I always enjoy finding new ones--there are so many shapes, sizes, and forms. I also enjoyed your bird photos--your robins are so different from ours here in the states.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Plant Postings, I have found lots of trees this year I never Knew about, and slowly remembering all there names.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  5. That photo of the ink cap decomposing is amazing.
    Jacqui x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jaquie, hope you are well and the finger is better...Not as many mushrooms about this year so a great find.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  6. Splendid images of Autumn Amanda... loving the dripping Inkcaps!! Cx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks C... It was a lovely find..
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  7. Yes, rather archaic language re tree id! Great set of pics as always and well done indeed on the KF pic. I've been lucky enough to see two this summer down on the river but both have flashed past so quickly there was no hope of a photo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks CT, had to look up "archaic language" :)) Having looked up the words they used I have learned something new to day, but they could have explained it a lot simpler....Samaras-seed pod/Keys, Indumentum-hairs on back of leaf, Tomentum-hairs on frount/stem or seeds..Been out and taken more photo so I will see how I get on.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  8. That looks a really nice little area by the stream Amanda and its always good to see a Kingfisher if only briefly.
    By the way, its a kind of maple tree, alright , keep it simple thats the best way I think.{:))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roy, the beck runs the full length of the park, feels like you could be in the middle of the country side when you follow it down..lovely.. Found a pair of Grey Wagtails feeding to day..
      Amanda XX

      Delete
  9. Hi Amanda,

    Beautiful captures once again......love the dripping fungi.
    Hornbeams are beautiful.....I planted several when I moved here.....I love the keys.

    Kingfisher, how wonderful that you got an image. I have tried many times and failed miserably, I would be more than happy with that photograph.
    Your secret area is beautiful.....lovely place to take a walk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cheryl, they are such a lovely tree Hornbeam's wish there were more about, it's been lovely down by the beck now the tree's have lost some of their leaves, it can be very dark and a little scary during the summer though...I still wish I lived in one of the houses that back on to the beck though..
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  10. It was lovely to see your October Field Notes! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy, hope you are ok, and glad you enjoyed my photos..
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  11. Some gorgeous photos here Amanda. I love the dripping ink cap, a warning indeed! Have a great week x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chel, hope to find some more mushrooms over the next few weeks..
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  12. A very pretty tree whatever it is! Love the robin shots and the drippy ink cap. It's so nice to see how autumn is doing in your part of the world which is such a beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mandy, glad to hear from you...
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  13. Fantastic photos, especially the Robin and dripping ink cap. You're so lucky to get a shot of the Kingfisher, i've only seen one once but i didn't have my camera with me.. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debs for popping by and leaving a comment, hope you call back soon.... And welcome on board.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  14. Just checking you are OK? Long time no hear xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi CT.....You are so kind to get in touch, this time of year is hard due to the sun not shining :( and family life is taking over....let's just say teanagers ....!,!
      Went back to work to day, which felt better, so hope to be back posting this week :)
      Amanda x

      Delete
  15. Beautiful photos. I wish we had robins here. Cutest bird ever.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts