Urban post

Life on a Church wall


This post is linking up with Loose and Leafy Urban post -Link
You can see my other Urban post from the Town Hall-Link
                                               



I have done a few posts on this Church wall and usually found some thing new every time I go back.

No matter were you live, be it a big city or the countryside there will be a church, usually with trees and shrubs. Here you could watch the birds and insects, there will be plants to find as well as mosses in lichens.

On my way down to the church I spotted this plant growing out of a chimney, the sun was in the wrong place so not a great photo, not sure what the plant is, so let me know. 




There were many plants growing out of the road side, but this one needs a mention for it's ability to just about grow anywhere.  


The next thing I observed was a small patch of cobbles next to the road, with mosses and lichens as well as plants growing, it was it's own little world. I probable could have done a whole post on just this little patch.





Here I found a few new plants for me to record.




On the church wall the first thing you notice is the grass growing out of the top and in the cracks.




Most high walls round here like the Park and Town Hall are great environments for ferns to grow, I found three diffrent types here.


Here is a great link to Common Urban wall Ferns


Out of the wall there was Broad-Leave Willowherb and Dandelion growing, and on the top I discoverer this little Oak tree (so cute).


This wall is a good spot for Ladybirds and more this year Harlequin Ladybirds, at the park the Nettles are covered in Harlequin Larva, as was this wall. I don't think Iv'e seen so many. This is a little worrying as it is not good for our Ladybird.


I only saw this one adult Harlequin, it looks like it has been freshly painted and has got it's spots smudged...



Snails could be found hiding amongst the Ivy, and a new Acorn had been left on the wall..


With the Ivy in flower there was a real buzz from Hover fly's to Wasps and Bees.
Robins were singing and to noisy Jays were having a chat.


         On the wall opposite the Church wall there was this lovely red plant growing out of the wall,               I think it is called..
 False Virginia-Creeper (Parthenocissus vitatcea)

Along this side of the wall I found may plant growing out of the ground, 
a Sycamore tree


Plenty of nettles and a little Nettle tap moth.


A Yellow poppy




(To be named)
And a yellow flower from the Daisy family I think..


Happy Hunting 

Amanda xxx

Comments

  1. There are many things I love about Yorkshire.....stone walls is one of them. They are so fascinating. I have spent many an hour studying a wall....my husband thinks I am quite insane :)

    I love the plant growing out of the chimney..........can't name it for you, sorry.

    Cobbled paths are wonderful habitats if left to their own devices....it is amazing what appears.

    Great post Amanda, as always.........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cherlyl, when I go up home to Settle and we go out walking, it the Walls the farmers built that amaze me, up and down dale they go for miles, and in such straight lines too.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  2. Hi Amanda, I think the chimney shrub is an elder? Do I see berry stalks? Anyway, your pics are fantastic, give us a post about your kit and technique.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stewart, I think you could be right on the I.D, It has to be a fruit tree to get the seeds up there in the first place, from a bird either eating or depositing the seeds. It dose look like it has been growing rather than it been a twig..
      A post on my kit would be a little short I am afraid, as I just have a bridge camera. A five year old Nikon coolpix P80. I use two settings manual and macro...I point and shoot :)
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  3. Lovely photos, I love looking at mosses and lichens!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louise, I love taking photos of mosses and lichens and with the help of iSpot I'm hoping to name more of what I find. Such a minefield to I.D.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  4. Wow, you certainly found a lot on the wall. I hope that plant/shrub isn't growing in that chimney as it must be horribly blocked if it is, perhaps it just a branch that some bird has dragged down there? xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy, I think the plant is growing there, might be Elder. The building is now offices so will not be using the fire place...I hope!
      Amanda xxx

      Delete
  5. Lots to see here.... off to visit the fern site. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jacqui, It's a very good site for I.D...
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  6. A lovely post Amanda with some great photos. It illustrates perfectly how nature is all around us wherever we happen to be :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks RR, Just shows you don't have to be in the middle of the country side to watch nature, I have found many Ferns in the middle of Leeds city centre...there's a thought for my next Urban post...
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  7. Just shows how good plants are at colonising places. Lovely post with great photos as always. The ferns in particular were beautiful xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks CT, I think we do get a lot of ferns in this area as its full of underground stream, lots of damp boggy areas, the land can stay very damp, I know most ferns are in walls etc, but the conditions are right.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  8. Amanda I am amazed. Those photos are brilliant. I thought you were going to tell me about a Canon 100mm prime macro for a grand!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Done a post for you Stewart, :) if I did buy some kit I would love a macro.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  9. Hi Amanda, I like the shot of the massive Oak Tree.{:))
    Isn't the poppy a 'Welsh Poppy'.

    ReplyDelete
  10. love the perspective in the first photo. we don't have tons of stone walls here - find them entrancing!

    the virginia creeper is turning red here also (that and the sumac are so bright right now).

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's amazing what you find when you stop to look around you! Love this post precisely because of that. In my hamlet there's some old stone walls that are part of what were (are) the old manor houses and the amount of plant life growing out of them is amazing. But I can't photograph them and join in on a urban theme!! And I could do with a stepladder...... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great photos -- I really enjoyed this "tour" of the church wall

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment