Mrs Speckled and a Buff caterpillar


At the bottom of the garden we have a Buddleia tree, I think it is called "Honeycomb"
like the purple Buddleia it attracts many insects especially Butterflies. But this one flowers much later and is a great source of food for the insects at this time of the year when most of the wild flowers have finished flowering. 


We have had a Speckled wood Butterfly  in the garden for weeks now (probable not the same one).

Well as far as he/she was concerned the tree belonged to her, she would chase of an other insect that came to feed, bees, hover flies and other butterflies.



To day I had up to five  Red Admiral Butterflies visiting at any one time, so this was allot of chasing for Mrs Speckled

   


There was many Bees and Hover flies 

Common Carder Bee (Bombus (Thoracobombus) pascuorum)

(To name)

Common Carder Bee (Bombus (Thoracobombus) pascuorum)
During the summer we changed  the back garden, so it was now time to give the front garden a face lift.
We had to move some plants and the hedge,as next door are putting a wall in..
when we moved the large Fern we found two caterpillars.



After putting the photo on iSpot it came back as ... Buff Ermine (Spilosoma luteum)

It was hard to get a good photo as these caterpillars are quite feisty, and they moved fast. They would rear their heads when the camera came close.  

The hedge was full of spiders especially Harvestmen and lots of little spiders

 Harvestman

Garden snails


In other news I found a few new plants at Yeadon Tarn to add to this years wild flower list.






Happy Hunting

Amanda XXX


Comments

  1. What amazing photo's this week. Especially love the butterflies!
    Jacqui x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jacqui, must catch up on all your news...
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  2. Your Meadow Brown is a Speckled Wood :-) And I think your mystery fly could possibly be a Drone Fly? Lovely photographs as always. I gave ma a honeycomb buddleia a few years back and the bees adore it. Such pretty flowers xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks CT, I don't know why I got this wrong as I know what they are called, have been know to forget what I am called on more than one occasion ! Will change it tomorrow .Thanks.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
    2. Me too :-) If my head wasn't screwed on to my neck, and all that.... x

      Delete
  3. Your photos are simply stunning!! I loved the snail, I always find them so fascinating xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chei, must say I to have a soft spot for snails, even though they eat my plants.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  4. Lovely collection of photo. I'm glad you enjoyed my latest post. Thanks for directing me to your 'Craven' label - I've had a look, and although we've been to Giggleswick and Settle several times, I don't think we've walked any of the places you've shared so that'll be handy for future walks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louise,
      Even now I sill find new places to walk when I go home...
      Amanda xxx

      Delete
  5. Beautiful butterfly images Amanda.
    The speckled wood is very territorial.........
    Butterflies are in short supply here, as the wind has turned chilly.

    I notice you like snails............me to, especially when they are young.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cheryl,
      ....it's been a dull weekend, but the Speckle's have still been flying...
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  6. Lovely photos Amanda - good to see the insects enjoying the honeycomb buddleia. It looks a great plant to have in the garden :) The snail photo is just great :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you RR, if you could just have one plant in your garden it would have to be the Buddleia tree for me.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  7. Oooh lovely post full of buggy wonders! That hoverfly looks like the ones I saw doing a mating dance, so I've just checked what I'd noted them as, and they are Eristalis species, possibly interrupta. I don't know that Buddleia but looks really beautiful and it's great to have a shrub that's flowering at this time of year and attracting the butterflies! I have Gipsywort growing beside my pond - just recently ID'd it. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mandy, there is still allot about to see at the moment, and thanks for the info on the fly.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  8. Superb lot of images and a beautiful Red Admiral Amanda.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Roy, Butterflies that come into the garden seem to be a bit more tolerant to having their photo taken...
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  9. Yeah..gotta agree with everyone else, this is a great entry with lots of equally good images. The fact that there are so many insects just makes it for me....superb!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks JJ, for your lovely comments...
      Amanda xxx

      Delete
  10. incredible up close photos! love the snail! : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kif, love taking macro photos so glad you like them..
      Amanda .

      Delete
  11. I think this has definitely been the year of Speckled Woods - I've never seen so many. Amazing close-up photos though I could have done without the ones of the spiders! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie, sorry about the spiders but there are so many about at the moment it's hard not to add a few :)
      Amanda xxx

      Delete

Post a Comment