Monday, 8 September 2014

Back lane nature..


When I lived at home there was a ginnel that ran through the back of the houses, it followed the railway line. Depending on how you were feeling, this ginnel was known as
 "Lovers lane" or "Dog muck alley"
When I moved to Yeadon I discovered the whole area is riddled with these lanes..


But there is one special path that runs along the back of some houses, one side used to be a mill when I first moved here but now it is houses..

The path is cut back as well as once a year the trees are trimmed.




Even this late on in the year there was many things to find..

Berries 


 Cotoneaster (Cotoneaster)


There was a large flock of sparrows feeding on this vine..






they were been watched....



There was a few flower, this Dandelion looked stunning in the sun.


Rosebay Willowherb

Charlock
Blackberries 
Bracken 
There is a mix of trees, mainly Ash and Hazel



From the sky to the ground there was things to discover.. 




There was spiders every were..

Garden Cross Spider (Araneus diadematus)
Green Shield bugs and instar 



Grove snails



The sun had brought the insects out..


Green Lacewing (Chrysoperla carnea)
Sawfly (Ichneumon xanthorius)
Hover fly

There was allot of Meadow Brown, it has been a good year for these Butterflies.

I was so impressed with the amount of things I found to day, I have only shown you a few.
 Might just have to pop back soon.

Happy Hunting 

Amanda XXX

18 comments:

  1. Great post, Amanda. I have learnt three new things: ginnel (had to look it up- did you know the origin is probably 17thC France, even though it's a Yorkshire name?), Charlock and Cotoneaster. Thanks! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks CT, I have walked this path many times, but the sun was out yesterday and little wind, so I took the time to notice what was there.
    I think Beck is another Yorkshire name I use allot when talking about the stream that runs through the park.
    Amanda xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lovely path to walk....thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John, the path is not very long, but a imprtant passageway for wildlife..
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  4. Lovely atmospheric pics Amanda....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stewart, the light was just right to day and no wind, the warm sun brought the insects out, a great day for photographing.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  5. Gorgeous photos and amazing detail in the closeups of the insects. My favourite is the dandelion though. We say ginnel over here in Lancashire too - and I've heard people say dog muck alley too! Have you made anything from your Good Food magazine yet? I had a subscription for a year and still buy odd issues, usually if there's a yummy looking cake on the cover! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Julie, my mum comes from Lancashire and most of her family still live in the area of Bentham, we lived near Settle in North Yorkshire, so we will have similar sayings, but even though we all lived so close my Aunties from Lancashire talk and sound different from us.
    The Dandelion looked so fresh and new, lovely flower. Made Cannelloni using Fajitas to night, turned out really well, this moths magazine has so many interesting recipes I can't decide which one to make first...
    Amanda xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Masses and masses to see. I like the birds but simultaneously like the cat. And the dandelion (of course!). And the berries and . . . everything!

    Wondering about the hoverfly. Most have eyes that sort of join across their heads like super-cool sunglasses or goggles. Wondering if you know what kind this is.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Lucy, had not "looked" at the fly properly , there was Hoverflys flying about.. Have some more photos so will pop it on iSpot.. Will let you know what I find out.
    Amanda xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely post Amanda and love the secret little lane. Great photos of the amazing variety of wildlife you found there :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks RR, hope to keep a eye on this little lane through out the year, it's handy been so close to the house.. It will be interesting to see what's about in winter.
    Amanda xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. lovely pictures of all those paths...

    Love simple paths like that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Urban Girl, just love exploring little places like this..
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  12. I like how you have names for these paths because when I lived in London I just called them alleyways or backalleys - don't think they had a real name! I also didn't know the name for the snails I see here - Grove snails - and I had noticed they didn't seem to do any harm to plants and apparently they only feed on old or dying plant material - so good snails to have around! Lovely photos of all the life down the ginnels. I think my hubby who is from north Notts called them Snickets!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mandy,
      Have found many things down these "Backalleys" allot of self seeding flowers from peoples gardens to things you really don't want to find!!!!
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  13. Some great macros Amanda.
    'Ginnel', I had to look that one up.{:))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roy, so no "Ginnels" were you live?
      Amanda xx

      Delete