Saturday, 16 August 2014

The story of "A patch of land"


Way back on the 19th of May on my daily walk to the park I discovered they had chopped some trees down...
This is the edge of the tree line that runs along the beck in the bottom and the Old weather pitch is at the top.
As far as I could tell they had  removed the trees to mend a pipe, it was quite nice to be able to see into the wood for the first time, the Bramble had been removed too, which can be up to six food wide in some places.

In the beginning we were left with just soil....


Note the fence guarding the old pipes !...

I thought nothing more about this spot till on the 7th of June I was out Butterfly hunting..


I had followed a Comma Butterfly down the edge of the wood before it landed on the Bramble near the "bare spot"
It was not so bare...









The first plant I spotted was Common Fumitory,  a new plant for me and the park.
And a Red dead- nettle this plant is normally found at the other end of the park near the boggy spot.



This is how the ground looked on the 7th of June, I didn't visit this spot again till 22nd of June were I found two more flowers I have never recorded before and  also new for the park, at this point I thought it would be interesting to keep a eye on this patch.



22/6/14



This is what it would look like if the trees and bramble had not been removed.
So far I had found four flowers three of them I'd never seen before and another new one for the park,
Questions need to be asked...
At first I thought they were growing because the bramble had been removed and the light was getting through and they had room to grow.. I did a little research about this and "yes" some seeds can lay dormant for over 30yrs and still grow when the right conditions come along, is this what was happening here ?



24/7/14




So with camera in hand I decided to record every plant on this spot, even the Nettles to get some Idea of what was growing here.











On this visit another 17 plants were recorded, two of them were new to my records..


It's now July 25th.....
and still new plants are growing, some I have had to get I.D on iSpot and some I have had to leave to grow to find out what they are.


On the 31st July when I visited and spotted even  more flowers I have never seen before,
like this Field Pansy. It got me thinking again...

Why were allot of these plants not growing else were in the park...?
Had the the work me put a seed mix down on the ground they had dug...?

Thinking back I do not remember seeing seed on the ground, and the flowers are very varied.
Most times I have seen them put grass seed down but not a flower mix.





5/8/14
We have now moved into August
and this little patch of land is still growing...
This is one of the Sycamore trees that was cut down, already new leaves are shooting out at the side.








On my last visit before I did this post was 13th August
13/8/14




The flowers looked lovely, but I feel this time next year the Bramble and Clevers will have creped back in.


So at the end I have recorded 40 plants, just in this one spot...
11 I have never recorded before...
16 new finds for the park....

I hope you have enjoyed this post, and if you have any thoughts on weather they have grown because the Trees and Bramble have been removed, or they are there because the work men through seed on after digging, please let me know.

Happy Hunting 

          Amanda XXX           

12 comments:

  1. Hi Amanda. Check this article out.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seed_dormancy
    It may be that some of these plants also came with the grass seed sowed by the work staff, as I doubt that they would have used the purest of seed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Roy, the link is good reading.. Just thought there was no grass growing here, and it's unlikely they would have sowed this mix of wild flowers. I know the park like the back of my hand, so I am totally amazed how many new flowers I have found in this spot.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  2. Fantastic post Amanda and well done for recording all these amazing wildflowers. From what I understand many seeds will lie dormant and germinate when conditions are right... then they will lay dormant again when the 'thugs' like nettles, cleavers, brambles and grass take over. I doubt the workmen sowed seeds of what most people would consider messy weeds. If they'd sown anything, I would have thought it would be grass. By the way I like the way you have displayed the photos! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Mandy, I just can't get over the verity of wild flowers I have found in this one spot, the park is good for wild flowers due to its different environments, so can't understand why so many are not growing else were. Think I must have recorded over 100 wild flowers here now.
    I have used PicMonkey photo editor for my photos, what I use is free, just go on the top icons on the opening page, lots of fun things to do with your photos and really easy to use.
    Amanda xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a diversification of plant life you have found and recorded visually. How lucky to see the Comma too!
    Jacqui xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jacqui , I was very pleased with the amount of flowers I found, even though it took some time to name them and sort all the photos out, this blogging lark is not as easy as it looks some times..
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  5. Fascinating post and my goodness what a lot of wild flowers! As others have said, I expect they are growing now because of the ground has been disturbed by the workmen and the light conditions have improved, as well as the competitive species being removed. They were probably in the seed bank all along. Great stuff! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks CT, I'm hoping I will get another year of flowers out of this patch befor the big plants take over.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  6. A really interesting post - I would agree with others that its most likely the seeds were lying dormant in the soil and have flourished now the brambles and cleavers have been removed. Less competition and more light :) Just a thought - but would it be possible to ask the parks department if they know whether the area was seeded or just left bare for nature to recolonise?

    Lovely images by the way - I love the Common Fiddleneck flower - a great name and very pretty :) The seedheads are great - they can be just as attractive as flowers in their own way :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks JJ, Fiddleneck is such a great name isn't it. There are some council buildings on the park, grass cutters etc, if I get chance I will ask them, trying to get through on a phone is not easy....
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  7. Maybe they have cleared the area to bring the wildflowers back. Near to my home they coppice part of the woodland on a rotation system for the bees butterflies and dormice.
    I do hope they keep it clear of bramble etc so the insects etc can enjoy the wildflowers.
    I love the way you are recording your sightings............great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cheryl, and thank you for the comment, the council have been very good at not cutting all the grass at the park the last few years, they just cut the pathways. This means there is more wild areas and wild flowers do well, this has benefited the Butterflies we get as well as other insects. I think the new pipe was put in by the water board, it would be nice to see it maintained. But I can all ready see the bramble creeping in at the edges..
      Amanda xx

      Delete