Wednesday, 20 August 2014

Stuck-foot post: August





This is another one of Loose and Leafy ideas.
You have to stand in one place with your feet firmly in one place and see what you find..

I like to have a challenge, so I went with the first idea that came to me.
I would go stand in a field...


To the front of me..
 Ash and Oak trees.
 I had hoped I would be able to spot the Little Owl while I was here,( sadly not). For me to stay in one spot for any length of time is a challenge in it's self. And I will confess now I chose to sit rather than stand.
Still thinking I should have chosen a more exciting place for this post, I closed my eyes and listened  to the sounds of the countryside..


Then a plane came in over head...!
(well we do live next to the airport)
I could hear the wind rustling through the trees, a Woodpigeon  and a Crow calling.



To the right of me 
was the field wall....

Here we have Holly trees, Dock, Ragwort and Foxgloves now turning to seed.


But if you look there is last years seeds growing ready to flower next year




Ragwort is very toxic to animals but also  important for the Cinnabar moth and it's caterpillars, I found a interesting article about Ragwort..




There was this sad looking tree, I think we can say it has dyed...it could be a Ash tree as there are other Ash trees dotted about along the edges of the field.


To the left of me...

At the far side of the field is a large Ash tree, more Ragwort and Spear Thistles.


In the wind the Thistle seeds were blowing everywhere and latching on to anything that got in their way. 


Where I stood (sat)...



The grass and clover are kept short by the Horses..
Some of the stones have come of the wall, I could just reach one to have a look under, 
wish I hadn't......




Lots and lots of Ants, its not the fact I could have Ants in my pants !!! from sitting next to them, but I do feel a little sad I have disturbed them, they will spend allot of energy now protecting their eggs.

Behind me


There was evidence of colder times, this did not end well...! 
had a vision they were still there, over the other side of the wall.
(I did not look )
A few things caught my eye but they were at the top of the hill and to far to get a photo, so on the way back I got a closer photo..


Horse hair caught on the barbed wire.


Hairbells


A very old gate post.

Conclusion....
 It might not have been the most exciting place for this project but that was not the point.
For me it was all about taking the time to stand still and observe your surroundings. 



Happy Hunting 
Amanda xxxx

18 comments:

  1. Loved the of the blog post, BUT I struggle to stand still!! I too am always on the move. Maybe next time I'm out I'll try and stand still. Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah, I do seem to be on the go all the time, not enough hours in a day... We should make a point at least once a week to sit and watch nature for half an hour....
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  2. It's a beautiful post. And I can't imagine why you didn't think it an interesting place to stand. So many things! Such atmosphere! And I like the way the horse hair reflects the seed. So glad you posted this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lucy I'm glad you liked it, I hadn't noticed the seed looking like the horse hair..good call, you have now got me thinking of a project ....
      Amanda...xx

      Delete
  3. It's such a nice thing to do and it does make you appreciate what's there. I've been doing something similar with our Goat Willow and written a post about it today by coincidence! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks CT, will be taking a look at your post., going to make time to stop and stare more often..
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  4. "What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare"
    Jacqui x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jacqui, they are beautiful words..
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  5. What a beautiful post Amanda....for just one moment I was with you. The detail and simplicity you exude is refreshing.
    I grow Ragwort in my garden, yes really. Purely for the Cinnabar moth....I now have a small colony of them.
    I remove seed heads so they do not escape into neighbouring fields. Each year I grow from seed. So local farmers are happy, cinnabar moth is happy, and so I am :)

    Any tree in its demise or death gives life to others.....insects will thrive and birds will feed on them. I have an old apple tree in my garden that is dying, but there is much beauty to be see in her.

    Another beautiful post that I found an absolute joy to read.......thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for such kind words, how great to be growing Ragwort, I think it is a lovely flower to as well as good for moths.
      Amanda x

      Delete
  6. A lovely post Amanda - I could just imagine standing there with you and sharing the sights and sounds :) Must admit though I find it hard to stay still in one place for long although its something I try and do from time to time - mainly in the garden and just watch the insects that visit a very tiny area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks RR, it is hard some times to find time for our selfs, hours and days just disappear then another year has gone...! If I keep up with these posts at least I will get half a hour some times..
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  7. Very worrying. You really need to get out more Amanda.{:))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roy .. I think :) you are right do need to get out more...
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  8. Amanda I thoroughly enjoyed your look around the field. So much to see if we really look and I agree with Lucy a very interesting place to stand. I wish Lucy did this monthly as I would like to spend more time observing a small patch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donna, taking a closer look at places we see every day can help you to see thing you haven't noticed before. I have also found from the lovely comments people leave, I see what I have got and appreciate it more.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  9. Very cool post and it shows how it really pays to take a bit of time to observe what is around you! Love that broken toboggan - oops! Lovely pictures of your beautiful countryside. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mandy, the sledge could have been there a while, I don't think we had enough snow last year. I wounder what it will be like this year. August has been wet, cold and windy, fingers crossed September is much better.
      Amanda xx

      Delete