" free fruit anyone"

 
I grew up in the countryside, in the middle of  North Yorkshire.
One of my favourite times was to go Blackberrying, 
so when I had my children I too forced  invited them to come.
The children might have stopped coming but I still love foraging for fruit.

Now I live on the outer edges of Leeds with one foot in the countryside, over the years I have got to know were to look. 
Near my house there is a block of flats that has fruit trees growing next to the path, most of the fruit end up on the ground and goes to waste, so it seems a shame not to use it ..
(you should always ask permission of the land owner)
One of the new fruits I found was Greengage.


I have now found this in many areas around were I live, it's a beautiful sweet fruit belonging to the Plum family, I have used it in crumbles but you can make jam as well. Jamie Oliver dose a simple recipe.




Apple and Pear trees grow here too, but not very well. 
The bright yellow Cherry Plums are lovely.


The next place to visit is up in the fields were abundant amount of Blackberries grow. 
Great for jams and pies..


This Apple tree next to the ginnel dose well most years, you just have to get there before the horses.
I think this tree has grown many years ago from people bringing apples up to feed the horses or it was just thrown away, and was just lucky enough to grow.
They are a small apple but very good for eating.



In the middle of the field there is two large Crabapple trees the Hoses leave these well alone, you know why if you dare to bite into one.
Have tried making Crabapple Jelly from this fruit, didn't turn out to well...

Back on my way down towards the park you will find Rosehip .



These ones are still green, but they do turn a bright red. 
 I know you can make jam from Rosehip, something I have not tried.


At the park there is Blackberries and Raspberries.


The Raspberries did not do to well at the park this year which was fine I still have jam from last year and fruit in the freezer !
Because I have been looking at the trees in the park this year I found some Hazel trees.


Round the corner from the Raspberry canes there is some Slow Trees, these have grown in the park from the trees in the Allotment that runs along side one end of the park. 


Gin anyone....


There are a few wild Cherry trees.
And in the old car park I did find a Current Bush early on in the year.But when I checked they were all gone :(




I did find some Redcurrant hanging through the fence, they belong to someone...

Do you go foraging ....
Please don't eat anything you are not 100% sure off.

Happy Hunting

Amanda xxx

Comments

  1. It's lovely to see all the 'free' fruit out and about. As children we always foraged but just to eat as we were out and about. Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you are pasing these skills on to your children, some will never get shown the joy of tasting wild fruit.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  2. It's such a lovely time of the year with the wild harvest. I love how you get to know where the different trees are over the years- we're off to visit a wild plum across the fields that last year provided lots of beautiful tiny orange plums I made into a tart, and yesterday I clocked some new bullace trees which you can make gin out of the same way you do with sloes, only bullace mature sooner (before the first frosts). They are essentially a kind of old-fashioned plum. Vodka is delicious with them too. If you put apples with your rosehips they make the most delicious jelly and the colour is to die for. I've got a recipe somewhere, I'll dig it out :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks CT, my Auntie had a plum tree I remember them been just wonderfull , never used rosehip so that sounds intresting.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  3. Abundance is the word I am looking for.....how wonderful to have so much fruit etc growing wild.
    I do forage...........in fact, I picked blackberries yesterday (they are early this year) I am making a blackberry chutney today.
    It is a recipe I found in some new kilner jars I bought.
    A beautiful post...........love it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cheryl, Had never thought of making chutney from Blackberries, think I might just give this a go...
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  4. We love foraging for fruit too! Keeping my eye on the blackberries in the lane ..... not quite ripe yet x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jacqui, I think the Blackberries at the park could do with a few more days, if they all come out it will be a bumper year..
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  5. Wow, you have an amazing amount of fruit growing wild in your area. There used to be a crab apple near one of the local factories and I've made jelly and flavoured vodka from it. Unfortunately they chopped it down earlier this year - I was gutted! We have a favourite blackberry patch which I'm hoping to visit over the next week while I'm off and we found an apple tree last year nearby so I'll be seeing whether any are ready. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie, I forgot to say we also found allot of Apple trees surrounding a Quarry, Last year they didn't do to well.. you have just reminded me...Going to have a go at making some Chutney...
      How are you doing with the photo scavenger hunt... I'm finding it a little hard this time.. "Sunglass" is keeping me awake at night !!!
      Amanda xxx

      Delete
    2. The photo challenge is so tough this time! I think I'm going to be right down to the wire with some of them, particularly the two 'everydays'! xx

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thank you , Hope you call again..
      Amanda x

      Delete
  7. I enjoy the fact of knowing where the best foraging areas around where you live - it is surprising just how much free food is out there and of course autumn is the best time of all - time to go hunting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elaine, had a good time to day collecting fruit and making jam and chutney..
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  8. A wonderful selection of fruits to forage in your area Amanda :) We haven't yet visited our favourite blackberrying spot but we did pick an icecream container full of blackberries on a walk last weekend - looks as though it could be a bumper crop this year :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks RR, made some Blackcurrent, Apple chutney to day... Very nice with sosages.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  9. Lovely post. If it would just stop raining for long enough I'd be out foraging for fruit too, though even though I live a very rural life I doubt my haul would be as varied as yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Annie, I am very lucky to have so much fruit about, even though I would class were we live is mainly urban/ country. I like having this mix of environment . Just need to try and make the most of it...jam anyone.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  10. Well done - I think foraging is the way to go as you don't have to look after your fruit bushes/trees and do any gardening! :-)
    Fortunately or unfortunately, the only thing I need to forage is chestnuts. I am drowning in greengages and damsons right now. I hate feeling guilty that most goes to waste but what can you do? If you forage, you don't have to see the rotting fruit every day. Oh well the bugs/flies like them. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Mandy, managed to make some jam and chuckny so far, but know what you mean about having to much.
    Amanda xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh... sloe berries... we don't really have them here in canada. love sloe gin. : )

    that hazel tree is cool also - so cool up close and fruiting.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Kif, have not made Jin as we don't drink, but I know people do and say its good. When we were kids as well as collecting Blackberries I do remember going to a field of Hazel trees with mum and dad.
    Amanda xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment