Friday, 29 August 2014

August....from Bugs to Plant Galls


I am still visiting my patch of land were I found all the wild flowers, I have managed to record a few more. 
A few weeks back I spotted a Blue Butterfly, but did not stay still enough to get a photo or a I.D.
Then the other day I saw this beautiful

Small Copper


It is a tiny Butterfly, a first for me and the park.

Common Darter (Sympetrum striolatum)

On the way to the flowers is a row of Bramble, it gets the sun all day and I often find  Common Darters and other Dragonflies sunning them self 's.


Amongst the flowers I found Forest Bug (Pentatoma rufipes) they are quite common at the Park.


In the Oak trees were these Galls, its the first time I have seen these..

"The Knopper gall, induced by the asexual generation of the gall wasp

Andricus quercuscalicis.


Green and sticky at first, the gall often take on a reddish tinge as they mature,and then become brown and woody. They fall to the ground when the Acorn drops of, and the insect emerges the following Spring, some can stay there for four years.
(Reference , Britain's Plant Galls by Michael Chinery)


Another Gall is the Alder tongue gall 





Taphrina alni is a fungal plant pathogen that causes Alder tongue gall, a chemically induced distortion of female alder catkins 



Still finding Ladybirds this is a seven spot..



 The seeds are developing on the Lime tree..


and Apples are growing on my Tree following, tree.

Happy Hunting

Amanda XXX


22 comments:

  1. Thank you, Amanda, for your kind comment. And what great photos here ... I particularly like the ladybird. I'm wondering if you would submit the sighting to the ladybird survey? ... http://www.ladybird-survey.org/recording.aspx

    Extraordinary pictures of the galls!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Caroline , have submitted sightings before of ladybirds I find, just got a little used to seeing them, so haven't done it for a while. I think the Alder Tongue fungi is amazing..
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  2. Lovely shots as always. Small Coppers are fantastic little butterflies xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks CT, the small copper was a great find, I was very happy.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  3. I saw a small copper this week too - my first for this year. Lovely photo of the darter. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. The galls are fascinating aren't they. I have heard of the oak tree ones before, but not the alder. Totally amazing. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy, first discovered Alder tongue last year, most Alder trees have this fungi once you start looking..so you need to find your self a Alder tree and have a look..
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  5. Superb shots of the Small Copper Amanda.
    I have not seen any of that species this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roy, its the first time ever seen one so I was very pleased..
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  6. Hi Amanda,

    Beautiful image of my favourite butterfly, the small copper. I usually see them in the garden but not this year sadly.

    Oak galls are fascinating. I remember the first time I saw one, I could not work out what it was......
    Nature has some amazing creations up her sleeve :)

    Lovely selection of images..........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cheryl, there are some amazing things in nature, sadly a lot of people never notice or ever see..
      Amanda xxx

      Delete
  7. Lovely photos - well done on the Small Copper (I haven't seen one yet this year). Fascinating information about the galls - there is so much to find and see in the natural world :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks RR, there are so many Plant Galls out there, hope to look at some more over Autumn..
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  8. Another set of cool finds and great photos! I haven't really looked into galls at all - something else I should learn about, but I've been trying to ID wildflowers in my garden thanks to you! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mandy, glad you are looking at wild flowers, they are great to photograph as well. Autumn is a good time to find Galls, fungi and insect, as they are often left behind after all the leaves have fallen of.
      Amanda xxx

      Delete
  9. Great collection of photos, and this is my kind of post, it's like one of mine, hehe! Will follow you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louise, glad you are on board...
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Thanks Kif, you are right it must be one of the prettiest Butterflies I have seen.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  11. Wow! A small Copper - I've never seen one before ! Lovely photos :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You Jane, it is a beauty.....
      Amanda xxx

      Delete