Sunday, 27 July 2014

Urban plants at the Town Hall


After seeing Loose and leafy's post on "The wild plant's of Southampton High Street" I have been going round looking for trees growing out of roof tops !

I like the idea even if you have not got a garden and you live in the middle of a town there are still wild flowers to be found. Once you start looking there is more than you think...

Now you might have a different view on this, the council are not doing their job to loving the fact there are places for nature to go even on a high street...

I have just chosen to look at the plants round the Town Hall..


Pineappleweed (Matricaria discoidea)

This plant will just about grow anywhere, loving the cracks between the pavements. 


Knotgrass (Polygonum aviculare)


Herb-Robert, Elderflower, Ragwort, Smooth Sow-thistle, Red Valerian.



There are many plants growing out of the wall round the back of the Town Hall, here we have Ferns and Dandelion leaves..


Sycamore Tree.


Common Figwort (Scrophularia nodosa)

This is a new plant for me, at first I thought it had flowered, but this is as good as the flowers get on this plant.


Common Figwort flowers.


Here we have Groundsel, Hedge Mustard and Nettle.


As it was Sunday morning there were not many people about to watch me take photos, on the floor in front of the Town Hall is not a good look..
The Crows found it interesting... while looking up I noticed some more plants on one of the roofs,


You can see them through the gap in the guttering..


They look like Succulents , not sure if the whole roof is covered ! or if they have been planted there ?


Back round the front along the edge of the path we have..

Willowherb, Daisy, Scented Mayweed.


Greater Plantain (Plantago major)


Just next to the Town Hall at the back of the building there is a gap, in here there are more plants growing,
Blackberries cover a little wall.


Spleenwort (Asplenium) ferns and Ivy


This post had also been inspired by our trip out yesterday when we went on the Settle to Carlisle train to Carlisle...
While waiting for our train home I spotted plants growing out of the station wall.


Mainly Buddleia trees, Plants from the Daisy family, and Ash tree saplings...  


But this has to be the best example of how nature will take it back from man if you leave it long enough..



Street Plants
Loose and Leafy-"The wild plant's of Southampton High Street" 

Happy Hunting 
Amanda xx  



20 comments:

  1. Great idea for a post Amanda, really interesting result.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Roy, there was allot more plants than I thought there would be, and how great to get a plant I've not recorded before.
    Amanda xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. A really great post Amanda and a great idea :) Its a great illustration of how nature is all around us wherever we are and wonderful to see the wildflowers sprouting from every nook and cranny. It never ceases to amaze me how quickly wildlife will take over an abandoned building or site.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, the more I look the more I find, I have found it very intresting.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  4. Fascinating what's there when you really look. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks CT, I was realy pleased to find the Alpines on the roof, and a new plant for my list, I must have walked past this plant many times and not seen it.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  5. Brilliant post, and so much botanical variety in such a small and seemingly barren patch. It's a game I play too - looking for plants where you might not expect them to be - but I haven't ever thought to write a blog post on the subject. Perhaps I should :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Annie, I got the idea from Loose and Leafy, you must do a post... Let me know if you do.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  6. This is brilliant! Absolutely fascinating! And such a good idea to go to the source of street cleaning as it were to see what they have (fortunately) 'missed'. I think if I were a council I might draw the line before it got to Sycamore Trees growing out of the wall though! I've put a link to this post at the end of my one about wild plants in Southampton High Street http://tinyurl.com/o4dr6s4 (a much less nature-ful environment!). I'm thinking of putting a link box on Loose and Leafy a couple of times a year so people can enter exactly this kind of post. (Monthly might be pushing it!) The same for Stuck-Foot posts.
    Looking forward to Tree Following next week. A good deal of ripening will have been going on in this heat I expect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lucy, it has been such a great idea I was pleased to join in. I also have put a link back to you at the end of this post.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  7. Brilliant post and there's some lovely wildlflowers growing there! Now I know the ID of a 'weed' that annoys me here - it's the Knotgrass - couldn't care less if it grows in the wild bits but I don't need it in my veg patch spreading out all over the place! I think they may be some kind of succulents up on the roof but whether the council planted a green roof or they just arrived of their own accord, who knows?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mandy, I ment to say Succulent..so thanks for that, tried to get a better look to see if the whole roof was covered but no joy. Don't think the council put it there. Knotgrass is quite pretty when you look at it closely , but grows in the wrong place !
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  8. What a great idea for a post and it's just amazing how many different plants you managed to find. I'll be paying more attention around town now. The building with all the trees/plants growing out of it reminded me a derelict church in Liverpool which I always used to love walking past when I was a student there. I'm envious of your trip on the Settle-Carlisle - I'd love to do that one day. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie, have a go at doing a post, you will see things you have never seen before.
      Have done the trip on the train before as I come from Langcliffe near Settle, it runs past my old house, I remember the banking used to catch fire in the summer some times when it was hot. We had fun and are now looking at other trips you can do on the train.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  9. It might be worth looking at this page of sedums http://tinyurl.com/kueyme5 as a way to identify your succulent.

    Incidentally, I'll be putting a link box for Street Plant posts on Loose and Leafy on 21st September.

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lucy, it's a good link, into Succulents at the moment, for the garden and the house. Hoping to get a better look.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  10. Hope it's ok that I gave this as an example of a Street-Plant post on a new page on Loose and Leafy http://looseandleafy.blogspot.co.uk/p/street-plant.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again Lucy, but I think Loose and Leafy has already linked me up to here blog, are you going to do a post as well ?
      Amanda xx

      Delete
    2. oh I really like the ferns growing in the wall and the symcamore tree.

      great show of the bird also! : )

      Delete
    3. Thanks Kif, allot of fun doing this post, and was surprised how much I found, even though I pass the Town Hall most days.
      Amanda x

      Delete