My park in July, new flowers, insects and moths...


July is turning out to be quite HOT, the Butterflies, and now Dragonflies are flying well at the park.

It's the last rush of wild flowers before Autumn sets in then winter.



 Scented Mayweed (Matricaria recutita)

Think I like all the flowers from the Daisy family, a new tick for the park.
  Chamomile Shark (Cucullia chamomillae) moth. Caterpillar can be found on this plant, it's quite a impressive looking one. 


The berries are all ready ripening on the trees.


Redshank (Persicaria maculosa)

Many people see this as a weed. I have it growing in my garden , I love the little pink flower, the leaves have a dark pattern  on them.


Small Tortoiseshell (Aglais urticae)


 Purple Loosestrife (Lythrum salicaria)


 Betony (Stachys officinalis)

Although I have recorded this plant before, it's the first time I have recorded it at the park.



There was a young Heron flying round the park, it stayed on one of the trees for awhile then took off, the next day I found it stood in the middle of the pond.



It's stood on the little nesting Island in the middle of the pond. 
There are allot of fish in this pond and they have regular fishing completions for younger people.
I was talking to one of the fisher men, he said the pond was classed as a Sites of Special Scientific Interest  (SSSIs) because of one particular fish that breads here... ( sorry can't remember which one)

It was so hot, even the little man had to have a dip in the pond..
going no further than his ankles, mind you ..waters for drinking not swimming..





There are plenty of Butterflies  (think you all know the names of these by now)


Back in May they had to chop some trees down to mend a broken water pipe, since then I have been keeping a eye on this patch as wild flowers have started to grow due to the ground been cleared and the light  now getting in


This is it on the 11th July, so many new wild flowers I have not seen before have grown here, so going to do a post just on this patch.


 Emperor Dragonfly (Anax imperator)

Have been going to the park every day sometimes twice, to try and get a better photo of the Dragonflies, have seen green, blue and brown.. but no joy yet, they don't stay still, I just love watching them fly though.


We have had allot of young Starlings in the garden this week.



Lining up for their turn...


Happy Hinting 
Amanda xxx



Comments

  1. great post, with lots of lovely photos. Always wondered what that pink flower/weed, was called. I love it too x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jacqui, we do have some lovely 'weeds' just in the wrong place sometime ..
    Amanda xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are fantastic pictures Amanda- the dragonfly is superb and all those starlings! Amazing what's waiting in the seed bank x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks CT, managed to get a photo of another Dragonfly to day, not sure what it is yet, went to take photos at the patch of land too, but to windy...
      Will be needing photo evidence of you wearing your dress....ps no wellies :)

      Delete
  4. A lovely post - I'm not having much luck here either with dragon/damsel fly photos!!! Great to see the bare ground being colonised - I look forward to your post on this little patch and seeing what is growing there :) I bought a Persicaria plant recently because I too love the flowers although I am not sure if mine might be a cultivated variety? Will have to check the label!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks RR, went to record plants to day,but it was to windy... Just had a good look, there was so many different plants, I wounder how long some of these have been lying dormant.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  5. Gorgeous photos again and interesting to see what's the same and what isn't with where I live. I haven't had any luck with dragonflies either. Thanks for the comment about the Gatekeeper - it's known as a Hedge Brown too but I don't know which is the most common name. Very pretty anyway. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Julie, managed to get another Dragonfly to day, think this is the most I've seen flying at the park. I too like to see what other people are seeing at the same time.
    Amanda xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great photos of the butterflies and especially the heron! And I'm dead jealous of your dragonfly photo. I think that's one I see here but it never stops flying around and around the pond, drives me potty! The young starlings are cute. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mandy, I am wanting to catch every thing as before we know it , it will be all gone and Autumn will be setting in.. managed to get another Dragonfly, have to I.D it.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  8. Howdy from a German girl living in the Midwest of the USA. I was poking about the 'net looking for some new blogs to read and stumbled across yours. Well, it's been added to my 'Blogs I love' Bookmark Folder. Your photos are great and I loved your observation and eye for detail. Fabulous job.
    http://archiedown.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Marlis, and thank you for leaving such a lovely comment, I do hope you will pop back soon.
      Amanda x

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts