Garden moths and one missed opportunity !


and a Spider aaaaaaaaaa !!!

Now the weather has warmed up (well last week) I am getting more moths in the garden.

I have tried the sheet and light combo, 
back in May


  
 I managed to get one moth
Many-plumed moth (16/5/14)


then I had a go at making a home made light box.



First few goes I got nothing, 
then I got a few small moths that flew of as soon as I opened the lid !!

We then did the Garden Biobliz

Brimstone Moth (31/5/14)

Silver-ground Carpet (1/6/14)

Small Magpie (Eurrhypare hortulata) (15/6/14)

Then on Sunday 22 June, my son notice a moth in the ginnel  that runs between my house and next door, I took a few shot but it was a little dark. I didn't check the photos until the next day when I realised the  moth was just emerging and its wings were not fully out.





It turned out to be a Gothic (Naenia typica), that night I'd put the moth trap out all night so I went to check the ginnel and it was still there. It's wings fully out.


It was a bit dark and I didn't want to keep him over night as he would need to feed, took some photos and put him in the Ivy. Just wish I had checked my photos before, could have watched him filling his wings out..
Found a moth on the Ivy while doing this which could have been mistaken for the brown spots Ivy get.


Large Twin-spot Carpet (Xanthorhoe quadrifasiata) (23/6/14)
Then found this one on the door
Small Fan-foot (Herminia grisealis) (32/6/14)
The next day I managed to get a few new moths in the trap.

First out was this beautiful black moth, but when you looked close it was not black..

Marbled minor agg (Oligia strigilis agg)  (23/6/14)

Marbled minor agg (Oligia strigilis agg)  (23/6/14)

Heart and Dart (Agrotis exclamationis) (23/6/14)

Heart and Dart (Agrotis exclamationis) (23/6/14)
Bee moth (Aphomia sociella) (23/6/14)

Bee moth (Aphomia sociella) (23/6/14)

This just shows you how hard it is to ID moths, top photo taken out side of the Bee moth, and the very same moths photo taken inside.

This moth can often be found resting on the wall.

Common  pug (Eupithecia)

I just love the name of the last moth I found in the box, had to put him in the fridge for a bit to calm down.
Tawny-Barred Angel
"UPDATE" been back on iSpot and now they think this moth is a 

           Northen Spinach  (28/6/14)    
Northen Spinach (Eulithis populata)

Tawny-bared Angle (Macaria liturata) (23/6/14)

I may not get allot of moths in the trap, but I am happy with the one's I've had so far.


And one large spider found in sons bedroom




Happy Hunting
Amanda

Comments

  1. Fantastic collection of moths Amanda :-) Be careful though as this mothing malarkey can become quite addictive ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David, not looked at moths this close befor, there are amazing and all so different and I love their names, you are right I could come addicted....
      Amanda xxx

      Delete
  2. The moths are all beautiful, but you can keep the spider!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I was very pleased with the few moths I got, as for the spider it would not stay still, kept thinking it was going to jump on my camera aaaaaaa, but when you look close it's body hair is very smooth and looks like velvet. I kinda like him.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  3. Great photos again, Amanda. Did give me a shiver though. Moths are my absolute phobia!
    Jacqui xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jacqui, I was not over keen at first, can't do with the sudden movements insects make..!! getting allot better. We are not up to having one on my hand yet...
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  4. Lovely selection of moths so far and wonderful to have captured the one that hadn't yet unfolded its wings!! I think I may know that spider but I'd have to go and check my spider album on G+ and I haven't time right now...... will let you know. It's a beautiful one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mandy, have notice the moth has gone back into the ginnel exactly were we found him ! As for the spider which was in the house, I would love to know what it's called, I find him quite beautiful .!
      Amanda xx

      Delete
    2. It reminded me of Drassodes lapidosus also known as Mouse Spider or Stone Spider.
      Having said that, I've just found out that the one I have seen around the house I have probably mislabelled, as it is more likely to be a relative called Herpyllus blackwalli or Scotophaeus blackwalli which are more often seen in homes.... and also seem to be called Mouse Spiders. IDing is a nightmare, isn't it, and Latin names/common names don't help!

      This is where I got mention of the other name.... http://wiki.britishspiders.org.uk/index.php5?title=Drassodes_lapidosus&oldid=282

      Delete
    3. Thanks again Mandy, I like the idea of it being a Mouse Spider, it's "hair" has the look of a Mouses fur. Have popped it on iSpot to see what the people on there think, no joy yet.will have a look at the other names you have given me.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  5. So many different species Amanda and you have quite a collection here.
    I am not really into Moths and never bother to photograph any I see.
    I have enough problem identifying birds, butterflies and flowers.{:))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roy, I like a good Moth but this week I've got back into looking at wild flowers, with the help of iSpot I've been able to name some of the tricky species I have collected, for example the Daisy Family, there a lot of Yellow ones and Willowherb .. Well they just look the same !! Nothing like sitting in a meadow of flowers..
      Amanda xx

      Delete
    2. Yes, nothing like it Amanda, depending on who you are with of course.{:))

      Regarding ID-ying flowers, I find the site below very useful, you just click on the colour that is nearest to the flower you want to ID and this leads you to lots of images of different flowers that colour.
      Roy.

      http://www.floralimages.co.uk

      Delete
    3. Thanks Roy, have not used this site befor, looks ok so thanks.
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  6. I love the home-made moth trap Amanda and you've caught a great selection of moths. I've never trapped Gothic or Small Fan-foot here. Its interesting to read of moths people see in other parts of the country. I tried the white sheet and torch method when we were away last week and saw absolutely nothing :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I loved finding the moths in my trap for the first time, my faviouret moth was the Marbied minor. I had two in the trap, they looked like black velvet but when you looked at them in the light they had a beautiful pattern on them. Going to make this a "proper" project for next year..( along with all my other ideas !!! )

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts