Garden Biobltiz 2014


On Saturday 31st of May and Sunday 1st of June was the Garden Biobliz  I took part for the first time last year. For 24 hours you record everything in your garden, then submit your findings to
 I Record . 
This year I have found over 60 things in my garden, it makes you really look, here are a few things I have recorded. 
One of the good things that came out of doing this is, I never realised  how many Bees I had visiting the garden.
I have spent most of the week going through all my photos and hopefully have managed to get all the names right for what I have found (if I am wrong ,please let me know). 
iSpot has been a great help, and will be using iSpot much more in the future. If you missed out this year you could still give it a go, I suspect many of you will get allot more than me if you have a pond or trap moths.



Birds


Sparrow    Dunnock   Blackbird   Woodpigeon    Great tit    Blue tit   Carrion Crow   Starling


Slugs



Yellow Slug (Limax flavus)

Large Black Slug (Arion rufus/ater)


Large Red Slug (Arion rufus/ater)
                                                         Nettle or Grey field Slug 
                                                          (Deroceras reticluatum)


Still haven't managed to name his slug

Bees





A very brown Tree Bumblebee (Bombus hypnorum)


Common Carder Bumblebee (Bombus pascuorum)




Early Bumblebee (Bombus pratorum)




Spring Bee (Melecta albifrons)



Red-Tailed Bumblebee (Bombus lapidarius)




       Snail


                   Grove Snail                                           (top middle) Rounded Snail         Garden snail

Spider



Large House Spider  and Garden Spider
Ladybird



Two spot and seven spot Ladybird




             Worm                                  Woodlouse                                Western Yellow Centipede 

 Moths




Brimstone Moth




Silver-ground Carpet

Butterflies seen Small white, Green Veined White.

Beetles 



Lily Beetle (Lilioceris lilii)       Black ground Beetle       Vine Weevil (Otiorhynchus sulcatus)



Pupae of a Vine Weevil
Hover fly



Marmalade Hoverfly - Episyrphus balteatus


Winged Insects




Thaumatomyia notata (fruit/ grass fly)




Bramble Sawfly (Arge cyanocrocea)

Wasp (Ichneumonidae)



Another one I don't Know


Whitefly


Plants that have arrived and seeded them self.


                    Yellow Poppy                    Enchanter's nightshade             Ivy-leaved Toadflax

                   Herb-robert                             Herb-bennet                                Wall Speedwell

                     Rapeseed                                      Cleavers                                     Forget-me-not

                     Dandelion                                    Bittercress                                    Red Poppy

Comments

  1. What a fantastic haul! I'm keeping a garden list this year and you've reminded me I haven't yet added slugs. Have you come across Jenny Owen's excellent book 'Wildlife Of A Garden, A Thirty Year Study'? I think you'd enjoy it. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks CT, I was hinting at you when I said pond and Moth trapping :) Had a look at that book too. Recording in the garden is going on my list for next year along with grasses..
      Amanda xx

      Delete
  2. That's a wonderful selection of species. I saw a similar number to you - I didn't spot any slugs though. I really enjoyed taking part and also found that it made me look a lot closer at insects and I managed to add several bee species to my garden list too :) I'll try and do a post on my findings this weekend although my photos are nowhere near as good as yours - I found I was rushing round just taking record shots :)

    Like you I found i-spot a terrific help - there's just a few insects left I can't get down to species level.

    Thanks so much for sharing your findings - its really interesting to see what others have recorded.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, did enjoy my self, forgot things like Green Fly, "Fly's" and Bluebottle, also not sure if I could enter grasses and flowers that have grown from the bird seed..have this as my little wild area, some flowers have been lovely grown from bird seed.
      Look forward to seeing what you found.
      Amanda x

      Delete
  3. Wow what a wonderful collection of interesting bugs, birds and wildflowers! Well done Amanda! I particularly like those two moths and the Ichneumon wasps. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts