Hello sunshine,chicks Moths and Butterflies..



The sun was due to shine Sunday morning, after having rain for three days I was up dressed , coffee made and out of the door by eight.I was off to find Butterflies, there is a spot on the road side near Rombald's Moor (Ilkley moor) of Bingley Rd (West Yorkshire).Were I had seen Blue Butterflies before.
You have to take your life into your hands on this stretch as there are no paths,and because it is a country road people like to go as fast as possible!!! to avoid been run over I took a little look in one of the Pine woods on the road side, it was beautifully with the sun shining through.


On the other side of the stream was male Roe Deer.
Along the the road side, 


                                                    the verge is full of wild flowers and Ferns

The sun was still warming up so decided to look here when I came back, further up the road is the path that takes you on the moor

It is a vast expand of space up here.

Looking at the Heather on the way up I spotted my first moth


A Common Heath Moth covered in dew, how cool are its antennae 


Also this Moth which I think is Netted Mountain Moth.

Spiders webs every were, then as the sun warmed up thing began to steam in the heat.

You can see for miles up here and when all the Heather is out the whole place turns purple.



The mosses were fruiting and added a splash of colour





 Click Beetle (Ctenicera cuprea)




Over in the far wood I heard my first Cuckoo calling this year, Buzzard, Curlew, Lapwing, Gulls,Meadow Pipit and Grouse were all about.
On the way down the Game keeper stopped to talk to me, he had been out checking on the Grouse and their chicks because of all the rain, they were getting to big to shelter under mum, he said he hadn't seen many so far. We chatted for a while about what I was looking at and like all good game keepers he was quite knowledgeable about everything, even Butterflies. 
(Note to self.. brush hair before leaving the house ! Nice man .. I looked like I had slept on the moor!)
After he left I stepped of the path and disturbed a Grouse, and there in the rushes was a chick.
SOOO cute

Happy I'd seen a chick, I quikley left it alone so mum could come back,and set of back down the track.
( Later I also saw a Curlew chick as well)

Then what was that a small flash of green went past, could it be a Butterfly ?






Yes it was my very first
Green Hairstreak
Who new they were so small !!!
This one was very kind to me and stayed still for photos..after that I saw loads they were every were!!
The sun had brought all the Heath Moths out.


Here are a few more insects I saw to day..

I didn't get to see any Blue Butterflies but I was very happy with what I did see.
..........Best day........

Comments

  1. Yeehaa! Congrats on the Green Hairstreak! Really enjoyed this walk with you, it is very different from where I live! Love all the dew all over everything, insects included. And the Grouse chick is so cute. Look like you had a fabulous day. :-)
    Bug in the last photo, bottom left, is a Scorpion Fly, just in case you didn't know that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mandy, Had a great time, did get the Scorpion Fly have more photos when I put them on my Bug Blog, you can't miss its "stingers"

      Delete
  2. Hi Amanda, the first scene is a superb shot.
    Well done on getting the Green Hairstreak and the Grouse chick certainly was cute.
    You certainly made the most of getting up early.{:))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roy, the spot were I took the photo was so lovely with the stream running through, could spend the day there..

      Delete
  3. Hurray for your first Green Hairstreak! Aren't they amazing things? You saw a lot of fantastic creatures- worth the wait after all that rain :-) Love the Grouse chick- how adorable and I've not seen the heath moths before x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks CT, after seing the first GH they were everywhere, and so small... I just love love the heath moth loads of them as well, just love their combs...

      Delete
  4. Superb pictures Amanda - especially the first one and the close ups of the Polytrichum moss. Haven't seen a green hairstreak yet this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil, at first glance the moor looked baron, but taking a closer look the mosses and lichen were stunning, a lot were fruiting, it's like another world down there... Going back soon.

      Delete
  5. A lovely post and photos (love the first one). I so enjoyed sharing this walk with you - the countryside is so different from round here. Well done on the Green Hairstreak - still looking here!! although weather forecast this week doesn't look promising for getting out or butterflies :(

    The antennae on the Heath Moths are superb - another species I am yet to see!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, the weather has not been good at all, glad I made the most of it on Sunday. Doing the Garden bioblitz this weekend so I hope it's fine.

      Delete
  6. Fabulous images :) I love that you know how to really look ... so many people don't seem to these days. I hope the weather perks up for us all soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Annie, thanks for stopping by, and fingers crossed for better weather..

      Delete
  7. Looks like you had a grande day out Amanda! That Hairstreak is special and I love the photo of the moth covered in dew...the click beetle, the froghopper...Oh and that fruiting moss...I like to photo those myself...anyhow, great post again and just trying to catch up with your output...thought I had registered for notifications but not had any so I'd better check that ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment