Can you love a slug ?


This is my humble little garden
now a home to hundreds of slugs a d snails !


After the rain, if you dare adventure out in the night to see what's there.

Some years ago I stopped using slug pellets as I wanted to encourage Hedgehogs back into the garden, we put a little hole in the bottom fence so they could come and go. We have only seen one in the past two years.

The area we live in has many underground streams and boggy areas making it a good environment for snails and slugs.


We found it very hard to walk as the ground was covered and I mean covered..
you could hear them moving, and all the worm...they dispersed when you shone the torch on them.

We have good numbers of the Yellow slug

  
which I have found out to day cause the most damage to your plants..



My new plant Anthemis took a hit.


Even the bird table was not safe...

Which got me thinking !

Put food out for the slugs, they will be fat and happy and leave my plants alone... !

I also didn't like the mess the slug pellets left and it didn't kill them straight away, 
salt makes them "Scream" still not pretty
beer, they just get drunk
and throwing them into next doors garden, they just come back....!


All the gravel and grit in the world doesn't make a difference.. 



Not sure if this is a Spanish slug, non native.


Think this is a large black slug (Arion rufus/ater)
they also can be Orange.




Grey field slug

Slugs can be hard to identify, there are several groups of closely related species that can be difficult  to tell apart.
it's not a popular subject too,  so not recorded well, when looking for information, all I came across was mainly how to kill them.

Good place to start Slug watch UK



Not sure.

Britain is home to around 30 species of slug..
Research has shown that the average UK garden has a population of over 20,000 slugs and snails.
One individual field slug has the potential to produce about 90,000 grandchildren.
and if the conditions are right a slug can live for six years.....

conclusion
if you cant't bear to kill them ,you might just have to love them,
 as you will never get rid of them. 

Comments

  1. I'm not a huge fan of slugs, only because of the damage they do to plants. I am more fond of snails :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks CT, I have been upset a few times because of the damage they have done to my flowers in the past, but I felt bad when I have killed them...! will have to try and grow plants they don't like to eat to much..
      Amanda x

      Delete
  2. Now this sounds disgusting - because it is disgusting! But I have slugs in my house. They come in both to my kitchen and through the garden door. I can't kill them either. So I just remove them and they come back. Sometimes I have caught my self looking at the little baby ones or the little faces with antennae and wondered 'can slugs be cute'? Sometimes it has been borderline for sure. I love your way of thinking through your problem. I hope by feeding them though you don't make them breed even more. Perhaps not if they were already munching their way through your garden. Anyway, I do hope it pays off and you keep your plants intact!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for leaving a comment, we used to get them in the house, coming through the skirting board. The houses are built on ash from the old mills, slugs were able to move through the ash and into the houses, before we bought the house the council came and dug down 8 foot and filled it with concrete,in the kitchen and front room, this stopped the slugs and stopped the walls from moving!!
      My next plan is to catch them, and take them to the park, not to play on the swings! but release them.
      Amanda x

      Delete
  3. I'm not fond of them at all, but as I don't like killing anything, I tend to try slug prevention rather than dispatch. I may put them in the chicken pen but they always have a fighting chance there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy, I have never seen so many in the garden, left un-checked they are only going to get worse, so I might have to dispatch some.

      Delete
  4. Wow that is a lot of slugs !!! When I was younger I used to keep both slugs and snails and though I much preferred snails I always felt sorry for slugs as they get such bad press and are treated rather harshly. However I also hate the damage they do though thankfully this side of Yorkshire is much drier (standing water is very rare here on the chalk of the Wolds) and slugs are much less common as a result. I too hate to cause any creature suffering (even Spiders) and I certainly sympathise with your gardening dilemmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David, have stopped growing plants from seed because I would end up losing them all to the slugs. On the plus side they are clearing up after the birds,might have to dispatch some. Can't get across how many there was.....

      Delete
  5. they look very happy in your beautiful garden ;0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I think they are happy because they get fed well ...! what with all the bird seed and apples. Haven't gone back out to look at them again at night, can't get over the ground moving..!!

      Delete
  6. Now that's a lot of slugs! I'd give up gardening if I had slugs like that. Luckily I only have tiny ones but even so, with damp weather right now they've eaten most of my lettuce seedlings and half my spinach. :-(
    Funny post though, but grotesque at the same time! When I'm at my mum's I love watching all her slugs and snails after dark, think it's morbid fascination. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mandy, we need more Hedgehog, that would keep the numbers in check.i think you have to work with your garden, you wouldn't put a sun loving plant in the shade, so I need to find plants slugs don't like too much.

      Delete
  7. You have an interesting slug "collection"! They are beautiful in their own way.....We don`t have so many now as we have two pairs of hungry song thrushes nesting in the hedges. Sadly no hedgehogs for several years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for comming by and leaving a comment, the slugs hide very well during the day don't know we're they all go ! The snails like to rest up in the Cherry tree, how great to have some song thrushes, love their singing...

      Delete

Post a Comment