Life under rotting wood..



In my quest to record everything I find at the park, I have been looking at creepy crawlies...

there is a patch of rotting wood on the edge of the park,
 the trees above have kept the area quite dry.

This is what I have found this week...

Glass Snail(I think)

Compost worm (Eisenia veneta)


Flat-backed millipede Polydesmus angustus


Brown Centipede - Lithobius forficatus

Common woodlouse (Oniscus asellus)

Yellow Slug - Limacus flavus



Durham Slug - Arion flagellus( I think)


Millipede

These  "Grove Snails" covered the wall after the rain, while out for a walk the other day.


Grove snail

Other news
Taken a few years back


Tuesday 8th April, I saw my first Swallow to day at work/ Leeds/Bradford Airport, it flew past the building and was gone, have not seen again.

Red Popular catkins

Golden leaved saxifrage

Comments

  1. Fascinating set of pictures. I can never resist turning over logs to see what's underneath!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil, still think something will jump out at me as I turn the log over....

      Delete
  2. Terrific and fascinating photos of the insects. I always have a good look at rotting wood, too! I saw my first Swallow of the year on Friday evening - it's always such a thrill to see it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy, have seen a few more Swallows since then..love watching them flying round..

      Delete

Post a Comment