Thursday, 12 December 2013

Missing Leaves

Room to see..

What with the wind last week and the time of the year most of the leaves on the trees have now gone, the park has taken on a new feeling and opened up, I am now able to get to areas I could not before.

 It is a very wet park allot of under ground springs, making it boggy most of the winter, the sun was shining and when I go looking it will always surprises me with new things to find.

First was a great specimen of a bracket fungi.





Great Willowherb,Epilobium hirsutum


This plant looked a bit sad but on close inspection the water droplets looked beautiful.




This is what it looks like during the summer.



Next ... note to self remember to take your binoculars out with you....

Small flock of birds feeding on top of the  trees to far of to get a great photo and can't just tell what they are....




We have Greenfinch at the park and Siskin's during winter, could be either.

Had a walk along the path that runs beside the Beck, all the Brambles and Bracken have died back and I was able to get near the waters edge. Looking for .....

MOSSES AND LIVERWORTS

Thalloid liverworts (Marchantiophyta)


Conocephalum Conicum

Conocephalum Conicum

I am hoping to name all these as I want to record all plants at the park, need to some more research as I would like to get the names right. 




Moss- Mnium hornum 







Also I need too find some way of gauging all these plants, as these were really small but you can not tell this of the above photo.

This another type of Liverwort


                              Liverwort- Lunularia cruciata




Photos not to clear as it was a bit dark down in the bottom of the Beck.

Took some photos of some Coral Spot fungi (Nectria cinnabarina) but when I looked at them on the computer when I got home I could see some little mites on the fungi, they are so small....
need to find out what these are now!!!!!!!!




Tried to make the photo bigger so you can see the mites, there is a "mum" and a young one..

 Displaying crop.jpg

 This rock was covered in  Moss and Liverworts, from the photos it looks like the Liverwort is fruiting... or is it a Moss.... I have so many questions......




 Rhizomnium punctatum

 Rhizomnium punctatum



Taking a photo of some Moss in a tree again looking on the computer I saw there was a spider in the Moss... A Harvestman Spider



On the way back I came across 

Birch polypore
(Piptoprus betulinus)




And last the Pine trees looked great in the sun.....




Some of the Pine cones have Lichen growing on it....



5 comments:

  1. I love all the photos of the fungi and the Beck looks lovely. I don't often see fast flowing water here, except after heavy rain (it's too flat and dry) so I always love to see it. There's a large flock of finches on the edge of the fields here that I've been seeing every day. It's been too gloomy here recently to identify the birds properly, but I think they're mainly Chaffinches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy, I love to be near water as i grew up next to a river, sadly the beck runs along the back of a housing estate and not very nice people will dump things over there wall into the water. If I lived by the beck I would try and keep it clean.

      Delete
  2. Hi Amanda, lovely lot of macro shots. The birds high up in the trees are Siskins. The dark cap on the head is s bit of a give-away.
    Its typical of their habit as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Roy, I had a good day. Thanks for the I D on the Siskins now they are back in the park I should get them in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Amanda, Thanks for the kind comment that you left on my blog. I think the first thalloid liverwort in your post is probably Conocephalum conicum. The pictures below that (4th. and 5th. starting from the Conocephalum) look like the moss Mnium hornum, while the liverwort in the 6th. picture is Lunularia cruciata (there are crescent moon-shaped cupules on the surface, full of gemmae[buds]). The moss with the round leaves, above the picture with the harvestman, looks like Rhizomnium punctatum. Have you visited the British Bryological Society web site? It's at http://rbg-web2.rbge.org.uk/bbs/bbs.htm

    They have some useful ID aids, including some guides that you can download - there's an online field guide (under the Resources tab) and also a Guide to Mosses and Liverworts of Towns and Gardens (under the learning more tab). Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete